Keeping Cool in Big Metal Boxes.

Dude846

Backpacks with Jets
It's getting that time of year for us Loaders.

How does one keep themselves cool while working in the these trucks when it's over 90+ degrees with high humidity?

Its not even 60 and I feel like I need to use cornstarch.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

How does one keep themselves cool while working in the these trucks when it's over 90+ degrees with high humidity?

Lots of baby powder...bring an extra shirt and a towel to wipe off the sweat. Lots of ice water and gatorade.....thats about it. You'll live.

Deemster

The biggest thing is work at a safe pace for you. If your loading rollers, take it a notch or two down. I've always found that loading off of rollers "properly" generates massive amounts of heat off the legs.

It's not your job to keep up or keep it clean. If the load gets bad, it's the supervisors job to either give you help or remedy the situation.

There are no production standards!

trickpony1

Some people think Gatorade is not good for you due to the high content of High Fructose Corn Syrup. Read the contents.

It is said that HFCS isn't easily digested.

Try this electrolyte mix. Put it in your water bottle and shake.
No HFCS, sugar or other crap that you don't need.

llamainmypocket

Compression Under Armor shirts. It will keep the sweat right on your skin and when the air blows it will cool you off. I used them last summer in our facility and I'd practically orgam when the air hit me.

I'd usually start off with under armor and a tshirt. Strip the tshirt off after getting warm. Then the hotter i get, the more i sweat, the better the compression shirt works.

llamainmypocket

Gatorade is good for the sugar and sodium content. I dont know if HFCS is easily digestible or not but i assure you it's digested quickly. It's good for staying hydrated but if you really don't like it then use pedialyte.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Some people think Gatorade is not good for you due to the high content of High Fructose Corn Syrup. Read the contents.

It is said that HFCS isn't easily digested.

Try this electrolyte mix. Put it in your water bottle and shake.
No HFCS, sugar or other crap that you don't need.

G2 has half the "sugar" Gatorade rain has almost none.

They also make victiman water with electrolytes.

As far as cost effective those packets are probably the way to go.

rod

Retired 22 years
FANS--and lots of them. The more the better. At my old center they had a big 36 inch high speed adjustable fan mounted on the wall that could be aimed into the trailer that made a world of difference for those unlucky enough to get stuck unloading or loading trailers. This is in Minnesota mind you. I can't imagine what sweatboxes those things are in places where it actually gets hot.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
FANS--and lots of them. The more the better. At my old center they had a big 36 inch high speed adjustable fan mounted on the wall that could be aimed into the trailer that made a world of difference for those unlucky enough to get stuck unloading or loading trailers. This is in Minnesota mind you. I can't imagine what sweatboxes those things are in places where it actually gets hot.
The one you had when you were a ptmer is the same one that is still there and no longer works properly.

smapple

I'm not a loader, but I plan to bring in a few small zip-lock bags and put some crushed ice in them and put it under my hat while unloading, maybe also put a bag in each of my pant pockets to keep my groin area cool.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not a loader, but I plan to bring in a few small zip-lock bags and put some crushed ice in them and put it under my hat while unloading, maybe also put a bag in each of my pant pockets to keep my groin area cool.

Wrapping a cool towel around your neck would be much more effective.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Gatorade is good for the sugar and sodium content. I dont know if HFCS is easily digestible or not but i assure you it's digested quickly. It's good for staying hydrated but if you really don't like it then use pedialyte.

i dilute it by 1/2 with water... or get the powdered mix and dilute it by 1/2 that way