keeping package car centered in lane

the old master

Tips on how to drive straight down the road? Jesus man where do these people come from?
i've never driven anything larger than a passenger car. i'm new to driving a package car, and i'm somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to my job. my supe's only critique just happened to bother me, so i came here seeking some insight on how to improve.

no need to be an arse hole bro.

anyway, i appreciate all the replies. i try to follow the methods and dok to a T. i aim high in steering, and use my mirrors, but my supe has told me multiple times that i need to work on keeping the car centered, and that i still start to drift to right, especially when i'm in the acceleration lane passing other vehicles. i even just missed grazing the toll booth window to my right with my mirror. guess it's just something i'm going to have to figure out myself.

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

i've never driven anything larger than a passenger car. i'm new to driving a package car, and i'm somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to my job. my supe's only critique just happened to bother me, so i came here seeking some insight on how to improve.

no need to be an arse hole bro.

anyway, i appreciate all the replies. i try to follow the methods and dok to a T. i aim high in steering, and use my mirrors, but my supe has told me multiple times that i need to work on keeping the car centered, and that i still start to drift to right, especially when i'm in the acceleration lane passing other vehicles. i even just missed grazing the toll booth window to my right with my mirror. guess it's just something i'm going to have to figure out myself.

Somewhat of a perfectionist huh? Wait until they talk to you about your over allow.

the old master

Somewhat of a perfectionist huh? Wait until they talk to you about your over allow.
Well, when it comes to a job that's gonna help me do more than provide for my family, I'd like to do the absolute best that I can, yeah.

I've preloaded for almost a decade. I have a lot riding on being a successful driver. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make sure I become the best driver that I can be.

I live in a rural area, and this is seriously one of, if not THE best job in town. I've encountered a lot of envious people that would love to be in my shoes. I can't afford to mess up this opportunity.

Indecisi0n

Well, when it comes to a job that's gonna help me do more than provide for my family, I'd like to do the absolute best that I can, yeah.

I've preloaded for almost a decade. I have a lot riding on being a successful driver. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make sure I become the best driver that I can be.

I live in a rural area, and this is seriously one of, if not THE best job in town. I've encountered a lot of envious people that would love to be in my shoes. I can't afford to mess up this opportunity.
Do whatever ?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
long time part timer, recently started driving saturday air. my supe's only real critique was that i tend to drift alittle to the right in my lane, and not exactly centered. any tips on how to fix this?
One of the best things I have learned at UPS is how to safely maneuver. Imaginary dartboard. Keeps you centered. Centuries ago it was keep your line in the center of your car hood on the white line on the right. Same thing, but looking 8 to 12 seconds ahead, that goes out the window, and it causes over steering, aka drifting to the right.

SmallPackageBoi

Missloader
When I get back to the hub sometimes if there's no parking spaces where I can fully pull forward then straight back. I leave it in the middle and run

shalang

Use your mirrors.
I gotta say, this is what helped me. I was critiqued about this in my ride along.

You have to always glance at your rear view mirrors as stated in the DOK. Use this to look at the lines that separare the lanes.

Second tip is, as mentioned, aim high in steering. Picture a dart board in front of you and drive towards it. This helps to center the car.

I never believed that I could get it but now I dont even need to look at the lines. Its all pretty natural now. The whole.proceas is similar to when youre learning to drive a car. Sooner or later youll get it.

What I still cant get a good hold of is the space of the vehicle. I get stuck at times and its particularly frustrating when on one-ways and you need to turn around.

Remember, only back when necessary. If you know that you have to deliver in a one-way and that the only way to get out is to back, back in first so that when you have to leave you can just drive straight out. Of course this wont work all the time, particularly if the street is long and narrow.

I gotta say, this is what helped me. I was critiqued about this in my ride along.

You have to always glance at your rear view mirrors as stated in the DOK. Use this to look at the lines that separare the lanes.

Second tip is, as mentioned, aim high in steering. Picture a dart board in front of you and drive towards it. This helps to center the car.

I never believed that I could get it but now I dont even need to look at the lines. Its all pretty natural now. The whole.proceas is similar to when youre learning to drive a car. Sooner or later youll get it.

What I still cant get a good hold of is the space of the vehicle. I get stuck at times and its particularly frustrating when on one-ways and you need to turn around.

Remember, only back when necessary. If you know that you have to deliver in a one-way and that the only way to get out is to back, back in first so that when you have to leave you can just drive straight out. Of course this wont work all the time, particularly if the street is long and narrow.
Don't say them, use them.
Give yourself enough eye lead time and space cushion, so you can make an adjustment not a reaction.

shalang

Don't say them, use them.
Give yourself enough eye lead time and space cushion, so you can make an adjustment not a reaction.
This was what was hard on the road test. They ask you to recite verbatim while trying to pay attention to the road. Hard for a beginner new to driving.

Youre right, implementation precedes recitation

shalang

Practice doing it and not saying it..

Trust me,its kept me alive
A lot of our drivers here forget about eye lead time. Ive found practicing it in my personal vehicle has helped solidify it when out on the road. Id hope that all drivers practice these methods when outside of work and share it with others, it has saved me many times.

A lot of our drivers here forget about eye lead time. Ive found practicing it in my personal vehicle has helped solidify it when out on the road. Id hope that all drivers practice these methods when outside of work and share it with others, it has saved me many times.
Dude. I got hit so hard one time, the only thing that kept me alive was knowing what I was supposed to do

iamupser

Grease Monkey
How do NYC or other high traffic areas follow the truck length space between package car and car stopped in front of you and count to three before taking off? It seems like you'd be getting cut off and flipped off regularly!