Keeping seniority when you get transferred?

8rogan

Hi guys I have a lot of questions about transferring. I was wondering if your seniority or package handling experience would mean anything if you were to transfer to a different state wanting a different job? Is it possible to get a cdl while being a package handler and going up to a feeder driver by simply just finding an opening online somewhere else? Or wanting to become a driver without waiting at your Hub, reason I'm asking is because I'm in a little hub and the wait would be close to 7 years.

upschuck

Hi guys I have a lot of questions about transferring. I was wondering if your seniority or package handling experience would mean anything if you were to transfer to a different state wanting a different job?
Keep years for years of vacations, but goes to the bottom of seniority for bidding, and picking vacations
Is it possible to get a cdl while being a package handler and going up to a feeder driver by simply just finding an opening online somewhere else?
Possible, but highly unlikely, plus you'd lose all your YOS, since you'd be considered a new hire.
Or wanting to become a driver without waiting at your Hub, reason I'm asking is because I'm in a little hub and the wait would be close to 7 years.
See previous reply.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hi guys I have a lot of questions about transferring. I was wondering if your seniority or package handling experience would mean anything if you were to transfer to a different state wanting a different job? Is it possible to get a cdl while being a package handler and going up to a feeder driver by simply just finding an opening online somewhere else? Or wanting to become a driver without waiting at your Hub, reason I'm asking is because I'm in a little hub and the wait would be close to 7 years.
If you are PT, you keep your vacations only; begin with a new seniority date @ new building.
If you have at least a few years PT, it's probably best to stay, if you're looking to go FT. Maybe if you have 2-3 years or less, transferring could be an option.

My overall advice is to find something else outside of UPS, instead of dancing around UPS with transfers trying to find a quick way in.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You're 19. You can't drive for ups until you're 21 anyway. You got started very young just put in your time and find a second job. Great things come to those that wait.

8rogan

You're 19. You can't drive for ups until you're 21 anyway. You got started very young just put in your time and find a second job. Great things come to those that wait.
My hub has about 30 drivers and about 40-50 people waiting, with these numbers it sounds near impossible to ever be a feeder driver, I feel like if I transferred somewhere there would be more oppurtunitys through management and feeder jobs. Not that I have a problem with pcd I just would rather do other things plus there's a huge money difference!

Brownslave688

My hub has about 30 drivers and about 40-50 people waiting, with these numbers it sounds near impossible to ever be a feeder driver, I feel like if I transferred somewhere there would be more oppurtunitys through management and feeder jobs. Not that I have a problem with pcd I just would rather do other things plus there's a huge money difference!
There is not hardly any money difference.

In 90% of locations you're going to have to drive package for 20+ years before you get a shot at feeder.

By The Book

Maybe you go to truckers school and pay to get your CDL that way. Then your making the money you want and can apply at UPS where you want. Your current age will still be a factor. My advice is to get a second job and wait it out. You have benefits that are hard to beat here.

calcio56

If you're only 19, take some time to seriously consider where you want to live for the next 30 years. Do whatever you have to do to get an educational transfer. Then get comfortable and wait. This company is all about time.

That's just my two cents.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There is not hardly any money difference.

In 90% of locations you're going to have to drive package for 20+ years before you get a shot at feeder.
How do you know this? Because around here it's not like that. You will have the least desirable bids and runs, but we've got feeder drivers with far less juice doing it.

Brownslave688

How do you know this? Because around here it's not like that. You will have the least desirable bids and runs, but we've got feeder drivers with far less juice doing it.
Sure there's places that are different.

Just by what everyone on here had said in most areas it's a long long wait.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sure there's places that are different.

Just by what everyone on here had said in most areas it's a long long wait.
If you are qualified to do the job, you can bid into feeders here and stay working with less than 20 years. It's close, maybe 15-20 years and it's covering runs, but you will be working. Maybe it's not like that anymore. :D

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I know a feeder driver who's seniority date is 1996...four years ago (2011), he was going between package and feeder, because his seniority date was among the lowest and he didn't enjoy the position too much. :D

Mr.Golden

If you are qualified to do the job, you can bid into feeders here and stay working with less than 20 years. It's close, maybe 15-20 years and it's covering runs, but you will be working. Maybe it's not like that anymore. :D

We just recently have two part timers go into feeder cause none of the full timers couldn't pass the cdl test at the time