Key entries

Work right slow and safe

I was just checking to see if anyone knows why UPS makes all loaders and baggers do 10 or more Key entries per night. One sup stated for production :knockedout: If we have to stop to input the 1z number insteed of scanning them this will slow everyone down. Does this help the hub with number for the amount of time they use per night ? Do the customers get a charge if we have to enter them so ups can make more money per night? So all you Supervisors and managers help me understand why we must do this every night or get a write up thanks for the help.

UPSGUY72

I was just checking to see if anyone knows why UPS makes all loaders and baggers do 10 or more Key entries per night. One sup stated for production :knockedout: If we have to stop to input the 1z number insteed of scanning them this will slow everyone down. Does this help the hub with number for the amount of time they use per night ? Do the customers get a charge if we have to enter them so ups can make more money per night? So all you Supervisors and managers help me understand why we must do this every night or get a write up thanks for the help.

It's easy you work for UPS, things don't necessarily make sence you just do them becasue you are instructed too.

Work right slow and safe

Not management or sup, but in small sort, we're required to key enter anything that won't scan. If we miss one on an audited bag, we get in trouble.

I work in small sort also we have to scan 10 or more per night about 2 hrs in the night they will come by and tell us how many we have and how many more we need to get before the night is up. Thats what does not make any sence we must have 10 or more it will be a write up for me :sick:

So does any one have to do this even if the barcode is good ???

brownIEman

The only justification I can conceive for something like this is if they are having a lot of missed intermediate scans being reported. They might be making the assumption that people are just tossing packages with bar codes that won't scan into a bag or feeder unscanned so they do not have to bother with them. Since it is very difficult to catch someone doing this without standing over them all night, they may be making the rule of thumb that you are likely to get at least 10 key necessary bar codes a night, so they want to see them. It would also get people into the habit of keying the bar codes, so they would be less likely to avoid it, and also faster at it when they need to.

Often times, when you take a step back and look at the macro level of an operation, you notice stuff like this. Say I am comparing hub A in one state and hub B in another. I notice from reports I can pull, that hub A has a ton of missed intermediate scans in comparison to hub B. I also notice that Hub A has almost no keyed scan entries. I make a logical conclusion and figure people are not bothering with keying bar codes that won't scan. So say I get the appropriate level of mgmnt involved and force hub A to require 10 keyed bar codes per employee per night. The workers in the hub might get ticked, but low and behold, they start keying packages. The number of missed scans in Hub A goes way down.

This is a good example of the sort of thing that can look really silly and wasteful from the micro view of the front lines but winds up in the bigger picture doing what we all should want to do, provide better service to our customers.

Of course, this is just speculation on my part. It could also be caused by some Napoleonic little egoist manger with an axe to grind. That does happen too.

Work right slow and safe

The only justification I can conceive for something like this is if they are having a lot of missed intermediate scans being reported. They might be making the assumption that people are just tossing packages with bar codes that won't scan into a bag or feeder unscanned so they do not have to bother with them. Since it is very difficult to catch someone doing this without standing over them all night, they may be making the rule of thumb that you are likely to get at least 10 key necessary bar codes a night, so they want to see them. It would also get people into the habit of keying the bar codes, so they would be less likely to avoid it, and also faster at it when they need to.

Often times, when you take a step back and look at the macro level of an operation, you notice stuff like this. Say I am comparing hub A in one state and hub B in another. I notice from reports I can pull, that hub A has a ton of missed intermediate scans in comparison to hub B. I also notice that Hub A has almost no keyed scan entries. I make a logical conclusion and figure people are not bothering with keying bar codes that won't scan. So say I get the appropriate level of mgmnt involved and force hub A to require 10 keyed bar codes per employee per night. The workers in the hub might get ticked, but low and behold, they start keying packages. The number of missed scans in Hub A goes way down.

This is a good example of the sort of thing that can look really silly and wasteful from the micro view of the front lines but winds up in the bigger picture doing what we all should want to do, provide better service to our customers.

Of course, this is just speculation on my part. It could also be caused by some Napoleonic little egoist manger with an axe to grind. That does happen too.

Thanks, you make a very good point we do have alot of people that toss them back on the belt and not key enter them It always better to have someone that can look in from the outside of the box

browniehound

No, I think you are dead on 100% correct. I know nothing about the subject, but that is the most lucid, logical explanation I could ask for...

I would bet that 90% of the nonsensical duties we have to preform are based on BrnIE's theory. It's a non-quota quota. I relate it to police don't have a quota for speeding tickets, but if they don't issue at least 5 per day, they aren't doing their job.

SoyFish

I'd guess it's so that all the packages get scanned & gets people in the habit of key entering the ones that won't scan.

10 really isn't a lot considering that easily 5 packages will come that won't scan anyways.