keyless entry

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It's stupid in the city. A gentle tap on a rural route will, usually, get the customer to come to the truck. But, it is our job to deliver to the front door. Do they expect commercial accounts to come to the truck and cart their own stuff in?

It's really the opposite for me. The air routes and etc routes I do are a mix from very rural to urban. When you are delivering in the city, you need sigs (no dr allowed). Honk of the horn wakes up the "sleeper" city people who are still in bed at 3pm. Sometimes you can get 15-20 people at the door at once and they're all hoping it is for them.

Vice versa, in the country you're dr'ing everything, so unless it is sig required or by odd chance a COD, you don't need to lay on the horn.

menotyou

bella amicizia
When I am home, Steve- my local driver, taps so I come to the truck. I take a cold water and an apple to him. He, usually get here about 3 p.m. Perfect time for a cool drink and a snack.:happy-very:

One time he stopped, we chatted for 18 min. I know because the next time he came, he told me the center manager asked him what he was doing here so long. I told him(and I texted the center manager the same comment) to tell center manager he was getting lucky!!
center manager never asked again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are not talking about laying on the horn--a quick tap of the horn two houses before the stop lets the homeowner know that I am there. I do not blow the horn at commercial stops, multi-family dwellings or at homes where I have been asked not to. There is a house on a residential area that I frequently deliver as part of an add/cut where the kids take their naps in the afternoon and I have been asked to not blow the horn or knock on the door. On the other hand, I have a residential customer who tracks every single package and is usually at the passenger door of the PC by the time I have retrieved the pkg all because I blew the horn two houses before reaching his house.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Just got my truck back today and they installed it. I was excited because fumbling for the key, espeially coz UPS doesnt have the "money" to install matched cores is a PITA. Well it didnt work. And trying to open the back door by moving the latch, pulling the other latch and no third hand available to push the door up, is an ergonomic nightmare. Having a sup in the back to pull it up before you tell them to pull is a good way to get your fingers cut off, or at least pinched badly.
I see it will be nice when it works, but it doesnt work yet, so since they have so few spare parts, they have to shop the car, which means I drive junk again for a while.
I would hit the fob to open the bulkead, the back one would click, but when I went to the back, and pressed twice nothin. So I fumbled with two sets of keys all day, I think the front door opened a few times like its suppose to. I mostly used the key, and the door is now harder to open, to shut it is as bad. I overworked everything to have an easier ride. Glad I had a boss for a jumper..................and amazingly as always I was so much lighter...............

Packmule

It is supposed to open and will if the truck is parked level enough. The spring which pulls the door open when the latch unlocks, is never strong enough to open the door if there is the slightest right hand tip to the vehicle. I've had the mechanic shorten the spring twice now, and it just seems to stretch out after a couple of days.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
on the units installed at the hub the instructions fromthe factory are wrong press and hold the button for 2 seconds and this will realease the bulkhead door to release the rear overhead door press 3 times, and you will 8 seconds to get the door open.

kingOFchester

our bldg just spent $22k last month replacing keys that drivers misplaced in their rush to go home...

22,000....divide that by lets say $10.00 at most for keys per truck and you get $2,200.00.
Divide 2,200 by lets say at most 25 working days (include the limited Saturday trips) comes to 88 sets of keys lost a day.

Doubt it.

UPSGUY72

Just got my truck back today and they installed it. I was excited because fumbling for the key, espeially coz UPS doesnt have the "money" to install matched cores is a PITA. Well it didnt work. And trying to open the back door by moving the latch, pulling the other latch and no third hand available to push the door up, is an ergonomic nightmare. Having a sup in the back to pull it up before you tell them to pull is a good way to get your fingers cut off, or at least pinched badly.
I see it will be nice when it works, but it doesnt work yet, so since they have so few spare parts, they have to shop the car, which means I drive junk again for a while.
I would hit the fob to open the bulkead, the back one would click, but when I went to the back, and pressed twice nothin. So I fumbled with two sets of keys all day, I think the front door opened a few times like its suppose to. I mostly used the key, and the door is now harder to open, to shut it is as bad. I overworked everything to have an easier ride. Glad I had a boss for a jumper..................and amazingly as always I was so much lighter...............

We have had keyless system for about a year. Once you figure it out you will wonder what took so long to install the system.

FOB Control.

Hold button down - bulkhead door opens
push button twice in a row - rear door locking device releases you still need to turn the handle and open the door.
push button once- Activates starter button you have 5 seconds to push starter button or it turns off.

If you mess up you need to wait till either bulkhead door or rear door locks complete there cycle or system will not work properly.

Bulk head door shut pop open when released either by FOB or ignition button if not write it up.

Make sure you come to a complete stop before pushing the ignition off button the second time or you might get a bulk head door open in travel.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
on the units installed at the hub the instructions fromthe factory are wrong press and hold the button for 2 seconds and this will realease the bulkhead door to release the rear overhead door press 3 times, and you will 8 seconds to get the door open.
OMG browntruckmechanic, May I have your permission to copy your post!!!!!!!
I had to climb through a load of 350 pkgs all day today, I look like fricking grease monkey. Pkgs were jammed against the mechanism so I couldnt get to it to operate it manually. The key wouldnt work because of same said pkg. Would not have mattered anyway.........my instructions clearly say..........hit key fob twice to open rear door. My sup was riding with me, yesterday, and we manually opened it all day, aint too bad with 2 people, really sucks with ONE!!!!! Finally at air dock, I hit it three times and the damn thing unlocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im sptting nails, I am so beat from ergonomically impossibly trying to open that door allll......dam......day....long!!
I of course was the first truck retrofitted!!! Im a gunea pig and my name is toonertoo!!

Last edited:

old levi's

blank space
When I am home, Steve- my local driver, taps so I come to the truck. I take a cold water and an apple to him. He, usually get here about 3 p.m. Perfect time for a cool drink and a snack.:happy-very:

One time he stopped, we chatted for 18 min. I know because the next time he came, he told me the center manager asked him what he was doing here so long. I told him(and I texted the center manager the same comment) to tell center manager he was getting lucky!!
center manager never asked again.

If Steve was getting lucky in 18 minutes he wasn't doing it right. 18 minutes would be a good lead in time to the main event!

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
There are 2 different styles of keyless units the factory units which are black, and the one that are being added. The factory units work as described, it's the add on units that have the different button sequence. More of the right hand not talking to the left. These units and made by the same company, and even the key fob's are different

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont blame anyone, my mechanics are the best. My saving grace is the sup was with me yesterday and it didnt work. The NEW trucks all work great I have heard. And yesterday the mechanism in front didnt work either, only intermittently. My mechanic found it instantly when I talked to him about it, the whole cluster behind the lock was loose. Today it worked pretty good and I liked it. I took the instructions out and read them again, when I was done, and it didnt work on the back still. I concentrated diligently. I NEVER READ instructions. Now I know why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They are never right. So I had a break left, and I just kept playng with it. I am NOT, I repeat NOT, going to let some little key Fob break me, but it was close......... And I noticed if I hit the fob tooo many times while in the front, I could hear it in the back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sooooooo I went to the back, 123, click. I was Like "no this cant be happening, the instructions couldnt possibly be wrong"..............why were my hard working mechanics not told this................wait til I see the mech sup.........he was hired off the street, when I was 8 yrs into the company.....I will tell him he failed to pass the word along. Well that little lack of communication cost them 2 hrs over today, and my sore, poor body.
I wrote on the instructions before I left work, before I read your post, I crossed out 2 and put in 3xs, rear door. Im just glad I have back up.
Thanks brown mechanic.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In order to save myself a lot of grief I got the code to the key box in my pkg car, removed the spare ignition key from the backup fob, and hung it from the primary fob. I drive a P-7 with barn doors (no keyless rear entry possible on those) so I already had a BH door key on the fob, now I have both keys available. If there is any sort of problem with the system, I just revert back to using keys without having to waste time making phone calls or screwing around with it. The system they install on the older cars apparently needs a lot of battery power, if you leave your lights on too long and the battery gets even a little bit low the system "drops out" and you will need an ingnition key to restart it for the first couple of times until the battery charges up again. Its a good system and it does save time but for the life of me I cant figure out why they spent thousands of dollars installing lock boxes for spare keys/fobs in the cars when they could have just hung the original keys from the fob and accomplished the same thing.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
All of ours are supposed to be keyless within 2 weeks. Some already are but mine is not one of them, yet. :yapyapyapf:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
In order to save myself a lot of grief I got the code to the key box in my pkg car, removed the spare ignition key from the backup fob, and hung it from the primary fob. I drive a P-7 with barn doors (no keyless rear entry possible on those) so I already had a BH door key on the fob, now I have both keys available. If there is any sort of problem with the system, I just revert back to using keys without having to waste time making phone calls or screwing around with it. The system they install on the older cars apparently needs a lot of battery power, if you leave your lights on too long and the battery gets even a little bit low the system "drops out" and you will need an ingnition key to restart it for the first couple of times until the battery charges up again. Its a good system and it does save time but for the life of me I cant figure out why they spent thousands of dollars installing lock boxes for spare keys/fobs in the cars when they could have just hung the original keys from the fob and accomplished the same thing.
I don't know how you got that combination. The only way we get the code here is if we lock/lose the original and then they change the combination that night.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Well remember the info brown truck mechanice gave. My life will be so much better now. I think it is a great system, when it worksm when it doesnt it may drive you to drink.
Like he says the ones that come with it work almost flawlessly, but what will happen when the key fobs battery die? Do they know the battery life, will they be replaced on a schedule?
I believe mine is the first one retrofitted, and only because it was at the hub for a month getting fixed from the wreck. So without the knowledge, no one knew it was 3xs for the back as the rest are 2xs. That lack of communications cost them about 100 bucks that would not have been needed to be spent in OT, for me, and wasted mechanic time for them. Trying to fix something that was not broke.

browned out

We had a driver tear his bicep trying to open the rear roll up door on a retrofit keyless entry 10 cube. UPS never trained him on how to open it. You have to wait a 8 seconds or something and it only goes up one panel at a time.
Safety first but no safety training for this driver and now UPS wants to blame him.
Shame on UPS and shame on the Union for not making sure these keyless entry systems are safe and that employees are properly trained.
Production first; everything else last