keyless entry

oldngray

nowhere special
My center kept the lockbox combinations big secrets and you had to call in to get the combination every time you needed it. And once used, the combination would be changed so you wouldn't know it. Really stupid.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It should be the policy.

When there is a malfunction in the system or a fob with a dead battery...and there will be....the abilty to immediately insert the key and get the vehicle moving again is a legitimate safety issue. I had the system die on my while the car was moving once, i lost power in the middle of a curve and rolled to a stop by the side of the road. I had a key, and used it to get the car moving again. Without it... I would have been broken down on a blind turn and been forced to stand outside the driver step with my back to oncoming traffic while i screwed around with the lock box that was mounted on the firewall beneath the park brake lever. Leaving the original ignition key on the ring next to the fob as a backup should be a no- brainer.

I have problems with mine on occasion. About 2 weeks ago my mechanic had to go rescue another driver that was in my truck. My mechanic had decided to drive my truck down the hill and let the other driver drive his truck. It wasn't far but it was downhill on a curve with a concrete bridge crossing a stream. The bridge was narrow with no guard rails and barely enough room for a truck to cross. Each side dropped off about 6 feet. It just so happened that as my mechanic was going downhill the truck died. If it had happened to me, I probably would have been unable to stop the truck in time to keep from going into the creek. There is no way I could have forced that truck around that curve to keep it out.

Our lock boxes are over the jump seat.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have officially put in a request with my mechanics to go back to a key permanently. They are going to take it up the ladder and see what happens. If I can't get a resolution that way then I will go with a grievance.

My keyless has been nothing but a problem since day one. I have been left stranded many times and yesterday my truck died while I was driving. Fortunately, it did not happen in the same place that it happened to my mechanic. :dissapointed:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I have officially put in a request with my mechanics to go back to a key permanently. They are going to take it up the ladder and see what happens. If I can't get a resolution that way then I will go with a grievance.

My keyless has been nothing but a problem since day one. I have been left stranded many times and yesterday my truck died while I was driving. Fortunately, it did not happen in the same place that it happened to my mechanic. :dissapointed:

Good luck with that. I got bitched out by regional mgt for even mentioning keyless removal in a PSR as an alternative to a problem with the control modules when they fail in an unsafe way. They spent something like 6 million on this, so I guess I was supposed to be impressed.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Good luck with that. I got bitched out by regional mgt for even mentioning keyless removal in a PSR as an alternative to a problem with the control modules when they fail in an unsafe way. They spent something like 6 million on this, so I guess I was supposed to be impressed.

LOL I think we were all supposed to be impressed. I think they missed the mark a little bit. :happy-very:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Have you considered leaving the original key on your key ring next to the fob as a backup? I like your idea of filing a grievance, but the resolution of that grievance could take months and in the meanwhile you are still stuck dealing with the problem. Having a backup key solves that problem.

Had an old P 700 one day that would shut off every few minutes and not even the key would start it. Loose wires under the dash that plug into the START STOP switch. Reach under and play with the wires would get it going. I wonder if it ever got fixed?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Had an old P 700 one day that would shut off every few minutes and not even the key would start it. Loose wires under the dash that plug into the START STOP switch. Reach under and play with the wires would get it going. I wonder if it ever got fixed?

Wires at the back of the ignition switch itself can come out the back as well.