Keyless Pkg Cars

I GOT ONE MORE

I've seen this currently on some FedEx vehicles and have wondered when UPS would get around to it.
I also wonder if the time savings will allow me to go home sooner....... or have more work?

Keyless Package Cars Being Tested
March 2, 2009: A new keyless ignition and entry system is being installed on package cars in Georgia. After using Local 728 members as guinea pigs, UPS plans to go national with the system.

The technology works like this. One short push on the remote unit enables ignition. A second push on a separate dash-mounted unit actually starts the engine. Drivers toggle a switch up to start the engine and down to turn it off. A second push to the bottom opens the bulkhead door.

The remote unit can also be used to unlock and open the bulkhead door, which is on a spring system. One long push on the remote unit unlocks and opens the bulkhead door. Two short pushes unlocks, but doesn’t open, the rear door.

Drivers in the center where the new technology is being tested are being told it should take six and a half minutes off their day. Not that management is counting or anything.

https://web.archive.org/web/20101221041303/http://tdu.org/node/2873

tourists24

Are the remotes used for the bulkhead door only? What about the back door? I want my door to open like my garage door...lol

MikeTbob

Yet, guys still will drive with the bulkhead door open!

If you guys/gals are seriously driving with your bulkhead door open, then shame on you. I almost had a severe incident because of this. Like a dummy, I left my BH door open and my two wheeler actually slid up into my cab and slammed into my dashboard, causing me to react violently....luckily there was no one else on the road for miles. It's just a bad idea people and you really aren't saving much time anyways. I learned something that day and I'm a :censored2: that it took something so stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy

You know what's funny about this is that UPS owns the technology that Fed Ex is using. UPS paid to research and develop this technology, but never used it. Instead they sold the rights to use it to Fed Ex.

MikeTbob

You know what's funny about this is that UPS owns the technology that Fed Ex is using. UPS paid to research and develop this technology, but never used it. Instead they sold the rights to use it to Fed Ex.

Probably because UPS is too cheap, I drove a 23 year old package car for most of this past week. It had no heater for two days and the windshield wipers stopped working in the rain yesterday...I swear sometimes, I work for a third world corporation.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
ya hit the wrong button & there could be a trail of pkgs behind you, maybe I'm old fashioned ,but i prefer a lock & key!! I could be wrong as I hated DIAD at first & learned to like it,but I want to know that load is secure,nothing like that feeling of opening the bulkhead & finding back door open> I'm sure we all have had that happen!!!!:anxious:

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
I agree cove. In my opinipn if it 'aint broke, don't fix it. What's wrong with the good 'ol fashioned lock and key? Instead of keyless ignition, how about they give me power steering.

bad company

semi-pro
Fayette and Roswell are two test centers that I'm aware of in Ga. It's actually a pretty neat system. It will be a nice feature and should save drivers some time. From a driver that I spoke with, there are still a few minor kinks to work out. From what I saw though, they are relatively easy fixes. I can't wait to get them in our center...

P

pickup

wait until someone figures out the frequency used to start engine and/or open bulkhead door. I wonder if the remote device itself will hold clues needed to figure this out.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
For most of our keyless trucks the driver wears a velcro wristband that activates the ignition,doors etc. Most people hate it, and the newer trucks have regular keyed ignitions. Perhaps they've improved the technology. The few times I've driven a keyless walk-in, I didn't like it either. After so many years, it's just intuitive to handle your keys with proper methods.

upsdude

If you guys/gals are seriously driving with your bulkhead door open, then shame on you. I almost had a severe incident because of this. Like a dummy, I left my BH door open and my two wheeler actually slid up into my cab and slammed into my dashboard, causing me to react violently....luckily there was no one else on the road for miles. It's just a bad idea people and you really aren't saving much time anyways. I learned something that day and I'm a :censored2: that it took something so stupid.

Just get yourself a nice C Clamp!
H_Cart.jpg