Kids between 22 and 26 now back under UPS health care?

helenofcalifornia

Has anyone heard about this? I have been told they either have to still be in school, they have to be your dependents living in your house, or they just have to be between 22 and 26 and you kids to qualify for this benefit. My son pays about $280 a month for the most basic of services with a monster deductible should he get into any serious accident.

It would be nice. Doesn't UPS pay a flat fee for all dependents of the one family member employed by UPS? I called the health benefits people and they said they are waiting on the "language" to come down for a definitive answer. Has anyone heard any different?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Helen, I believe that they either have to be in school or have to be your dependent up to the age of 26. I am covered under a Teamster plan and will be putting my son back on the plan when he goes back to school in September. My daughter is 25 but no longer qualifies as she is out of school and no longer my dependent.

klein

Für Meno :)
What CNN says, it's everyone under 26 is now, (or soon), covered by their parents.
They don't need to live at home or go to school.
They can even be married and are still covered under their parents. (child only, not their spouse or kids).

Thats good news for your son !
I would look into that further, and maybe your son can cancel his own insurance already, and save that money.

klein

Here is some info for you. Looks like it starts Jan1, 2011.

Probably the most significant provision says employees’ children under 26 who are not enrolled in another group plan must be allowed to enroll in company plans in the next plan year, which for most companies probably starts Jan. 1, 2011. Beginning in 2014, plans must cover children up to age 26 whether or not they have access to another plan. Companies are considering whether to face the administrative hassle of determining whether adult children have access to other plans or just let all employees’ children up to age 26 participate starting with the next plan year, explains Relland.

klein

Maybe, I'm wrong, here is says, it's starts Sept 23rd of this year :

Health Plans that cover Dependents: If your health care plan currently covers dependents, the rules takes effect on or after Sept. 23, 2010. The rule would now require that the policyholder’s children be covered until the age of 26 unless they have access to an employer-sponsored plan. If they were previously dropped, they can re-enroll as long as they don’t have access to an employer-sponsored plan. The child does not need to live with the parent and does not need to be claimed as a dependent on the parent’s tax return. If the health insurance plan’s open enrollment period isn’t in the fall, the plan must give dependents 30 days to decide whether or not to enroll.

Anyways, Helen.... not much longer.

helenofcalifornia

That's what the benefits people said. Waiting for word to come down the pike on exactly who gets covered and when. I am hoping for September. Dude needs to go to the dentist.

P

pickup

That's what the benefits people said. Waiting for word to come down the pike on exactly who gets covered and when. I am hoping for September. Dude needs to go to the dentist.

Does the health plan coverage rule cover dental? One can have medical benefits and still not have dental benefits, as insane as that sounds.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Having the kids covered for something major would be the key. They could probably afford to pay a couple hundred for a filling.
Does the health plan coverage rule cover dental? One can have medical benefits and still not have dental benefits, as insane as that sounds.

helenofcalifornia

Yep, didn't think about that. You are probably right about dentist not being included in the health plan. I am just glad that I can save the boy some money for awhile. Anthem didn't do him any favors when they raised the rates out here.

beatupbrown

I was in line at Walgreens the person in front on me was upset with his insurance jacking him around. I sparked up a conversation with him he stated that he pays $1700.00 a month for a family of 4 with blue cross they just raised it $600.00 wow!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was in line at Walgreens the person in front on me was upset with his insurance jacking him around. I sparked up a conversation with him he stated that he pays $1700.00 a month for a family of 4 with blue cross they just raised it $600.00 wow!

...and yet our airplane mechanics, who make $43/hr with an excellent benefit package, including a 401k match, are bitching because they may be asked to pay $162 per month to offset some of the cost of their health insurance. Can you say reality check?

mrv

...and yet our airplane mechanics, who make $43/hr with an excellent benefit package, including a 401k match, are bitching because they may be asked to pay $162 per month to offset some of the cost of their health insurance. Can you say reality check?
....and yet guys like you are willing to give up their healthcare and more to appease their Masters. Maybe a $1700 a month for insurance will give you a reality check.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did you even read the preceding post? This person is paying $1700 per month just for health insurance!! That is two months of mortgage payments for me. You are right, $1700 per month for health insurance would give me a reality check, as it would any other rational person.

You guys simply don't get it. You don't know just how good you've got it. $100K+ and you are whining about paying what amounts to less than 4 hours pay per month toward your health benefits.

I am not willing to give up my healthcare nor do I want to start paying for part of the bill but I am realistic enough to know that this may be a possibility come 2013.

Take your Union blinders off and look around you. You will quickly see just how good you guys have it.

moreluck

golden ticket member
$1700 for a family of 4........just 2 of you? It isn't just half of that. We pay $1400 a month for the 2 of us. Getting free health care or just paying a small portion is SO HUGE !!

SO HUGE !!!