Killing a route as a cover driver

toxic88

23 years working for this company and I never understood what these drivers got out of killing these routes. There is no such thing as first place. Every single driver in my center who works off the clock and kills the route are the same people who I see crying about the extra work or go out on injury or STRESS leave. My job is to work at a safe pace and get the job done.

BrownChoice

As a new driver I understand where hes coming from. BUT, realize all new drivers start out with little to no area knowledge. Working off the clock will do nothing for you but decrease your paycheck amount.

Take lunch AND breaks. Follow the methods, because if you dont and your observed not doing so, you will be seen in the office in no time.

You can work off the clock and have impeccable numbers, but as soon as you make a big mistake management forgets all the good youve done them and your GONE.

aiian

UPS'n is marathon not a race.

You may think you're pretty effin badazz now but 2O, 3O years from now you'll wish you didn't "kill" all the routes as a rookie.

Future

Victory Ride
I'm a cover driver. The guy who's route I'm covering normally goes out with 90-100 stops (100 is a heavy day for him) on a very rural area. I'm going out with around 120+ (140 was the most) and coming in WELL before he does. Like, several hours before him. I dont even feel like I'm working all that fast. Is there anything I should be looking out for? I really dont think I could move any slower than I am now. Is this how the you make enemies with your union "brothers"?
Your post makes me sick....as I see this in my building with a few Roadrunners.....How old is the regular driver on this route? Has he had any injuries,any surgeries due to a blown out knee, back, shoulder, or any other body part he has overused the past how many years? How is his driving record with accidents? Is it clean? Did he have a tier 3 at some point of his career? I bet his customers love him. He probably takes extra care delivering there parcels.I bet he follows delivery and driving methods to the letter. So in conclusion are you making enemies with your Union brothers? I am sure some of the older seasoned drivers will let you know that first hand in many different ways.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
One of the first things I figured out when I had my country run is to find out where people live and where they work and try to get rid of their personal packages at their workplace.
You do that here and you get 30 more stops. We have 3 or 4 guys who do it all the time (one even did it on a lock in ride. Talk about stupid). I love to see their faces when they get jacked up stop counts. I dont indirect because if they wanted it where they work, they would have addressed it there. They pay extra for a res delivery and dont get a refund when you indirect. There are times to indirect, but not to get you home by 5.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You do that here and you get 30 more stops. We have 3 or 4 guys who do it all the time (one even did it on a lock in ride. Talk about stupid). I love to see their faces when they get jacked up stop counts. I dont indirect because if they wanted it where they work, they would have addressed it there. They pay extra for a res delivery and dont get a refund when you indirect. There are times to indirect, but not to get you home by 5.

Every one of the packages that I indirected were with their express permission and appreciation for having done so.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
R u telling me you come in early, work off the clock and set your stops up? There is no reason to ever be in your truck off the clock, what happens if u trip over something in your truck while working off the clock and get hurt. You may think burning down routes is fun but getting hurt off the clock means you get no pay and they ask why in the world you were in your truck off the clock. You also will probably get fired.

Sent using BrownCafe App
No He wont get fired, unless someone complains. UPS doesnt enforce that rule, why would they, they look the other way. Its all shi$s and giggles til someone gets hurt.

Why would you give away your time? Add those hours up over a few years, a lifetime? Is it worth it? NO. Take your beaks, lunches, sort on the clock, and if you still burn it up, You the man.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No He wont get fired, unless someone complains. UPS doesnt enforce that rule, why would they, they look the other way. Its all shi$s and giggles til someone gets hurt.

We had a casual driver hurt his shoulder while he was sorting his car before start time. The center manager drove him to the ER in his personal car. I imagine it was a very one-sided conversation.

I get to work 30-45 minutes early. I will go through my EDD to make sure there is nothing there that I shouldn't have. I go through my NDA and will help my loader close out the car. We don't start until 9:40 so I make sure that I am closed out and ready to go after the PCM as there is a very tight window to get my NDA off by 1030.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We had a casual driver hurt his shoulder while he was sorting his car before start time. The center manager drove him to the ER in his personal car. I imagine it was a very one-sided conversation.

I get to work 30-45 minutes early. I will go through my EDD to make sure there is nothing there that I shouldn't have. I go through my NDA and will help my loader close out the car. We don't start until 9:40 so I make sure that I am closed out and ready to go after the PCM as there is a very tight window to get my NDA off by 1030.

I get to work 7 minutes to start time. I might put my stuff in the truck, usually not. When I am getting paid, I download Orion, and head to my truck after the PCM. I have a very tight air window, and usually have to help load the bulk, after start time, usually get to my area, at 945. If I have too much, they should know it. They have the tools at their disposal. They should have pulled work off, since it is harder to find a sup on the belt than finding a needle in a haystack. So as I am leaving the building Ill give them a jingle, and give them 2 minutes to correct, if I have misloads, Orion errors, or too many airs.
Since you cant see what you have until Orion is released, sometimes we are sittting in parking lot, waiting. The only other way is to view the pcs, "off the clock", that they have set up for us, and I am not doing that either. Their game, their rules.

I'm a cover driver. The guy who's route I'm covering normally goes out with 90-100 stops (100 is a heavy day for him) on a very rural area. I'm going out with around 120+ (140 was the most) and coming in WELL before he does. Like, several hours before him. I dont even feel like I'm working all that fast. Is there anything I should be looking out for? I really dont think I could move any slower than I am now. Is this how the you make enemies with your union "brothers"?
I'm willing to bet you aren't following speed limits. You are running. Are you leaving packages in the cab?

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Every one of the packages that I indirected were with their express permission and appreciation for having done so.
Never said they didnt appreciate it or tell you it ws ok. My point is that they pay extra to have it delivered to their house. There are situations to indirect, but not to get off early. I could stroll through cars before work and tell you where 300 pkgs could be indirected, but thats 4 routes around here.

What'dyabringmetoday???

So, you actually donate more to UPS than you brag about donating to United Way. Keep up the good (off the clock) work skippy.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
One of the first things I figured out when I had my country run is to find out where people live and where they work and try to get rid of their personal packages at their workplace.
We have a satelitte driver that has taken a 60 stop route and made it 100+ everyday. All because he wanted off early. He bitches everyday. Then works faster harder and indirects more to get it all off. He whines and cries everyday. Chews drivers out that he's doing their work. Yet he continues to get it done. Not the sharpest tool.