Klien :::: This is what AMERICA IS ALL ABOUT !!

satellitedriver

I like this thread.Everyone is really speaking what they believe and its nice.Jones...I loved the map.It said it all.America is the centre of the universe.
Its funny but even though most Americans think of Canada as some foreign country,we on the other hand have always felt an affinity with the United States.
My parents always went camping in PA.or NY.I dont know why.
Theres plenty of beautiful campsites in Ontario.
Theres a few things better about living here than there other than health care.
One of our best oncars is black.He and his wife moved here 1986 from Alabama.He said thier main reason was racism
A lot less people have guns or NEED to own guns.
Our beer is better.Wrong.Girls here have the right to bare breasts(although I have yet to witness this)Come on down, it ain't legal, but you damn sure can see it in Texas.
We can go to Cuba real cheap...Why?
You can hang a right on a red light!That's legal here
ok thats all I can think of for now,,,,
:peaceful:

tieguy

Banned
Actually, to this day, Holland still has a special Canada Memorial Day.
Where they carry and raise Canadian Flags.
Because, we freed them.

We did a lot of work, before you got there.

And those were different days, USA wasn't even in the top 10 when it came to military power (without the nuke that was developed with help of German scientists, during the war).

I had to go back and do some research since its been a while but I thought the 101st airborne was also heavily involved in Holland. I don't want to say the wrong thing and diminish the contributions of the many Canadian soldiers that lost their lives there but while Holland celebrates Canada's day there were a lot more units from other countries involved in the liberation of Holland.

I would also tend to dispute your assertion that the US was not a top ten power back then as referenced by the conferences of the big three those being the leaders of the Soviet union, united kingdom and US. I think those conferences recognizing those three as the top allied powers clearly indicates the us was considered a top world power.

Your point that the us became a superpower after the war would have to be incorrect. At no time was the us stronger then nearing the end of world war II when they had a huge battle hardened military and the atomic bomb.

I happened to be a fan of Patton and think his point that then was the time to turn our attention to the Soviet union may have been the right answer. the united nations concept was a failure in preventing world war II and a failure since. The true answer may have been one democracy based superpower that controlled the world. It certainly would have saved the world a lot of pain and suffering in the long run with the assumption being that the superpower did not abuse its power.

klein

Für Meno :)
I had to go back and do some research since its been a while but I thought the 101st airborne was also heavily involved in holland. I don't want to say the wrong thing and diminish the contributions of the many canadian soldiors that lost their lives there but while Holland celebrates canadas day there were a lot more units from other countries involved in the liberation of holland.

I would also tend to dispute your assertion that the US was not a top ten power back then as referenced by the conferences of the big three those being the leaders of the Soviot union, united kingdom and US. I think those conferences recognizing those three as the top allied powers clearly indicates the us was considered a top world power.

Your point that the us became a superpower after the war would have to be incorrect. At no time was the us stronger then nearing the end of world war II when they had a huge battle hardened military and the atomic bomb.

I may have rushed into things myself. But, I do know, once a year, we see the news from Holland, celebrating a sort of Canada Day.
It could just be a state or a part of Holland. But, I do know it's huge over there.

As for the USA not being in the top 10. I'm rethinking that now too.
I could have gotten that mixed up with WW1.
Where America was ranked in the 20's.

I do forgive if my info was incorrect. But, we do have a person named tworaven from Holland on BC. He would know best.

But, we do know 1 thing, the japs wern't afraid taking on the americans, and either were the germans.
But, who would have known about the A bomb later on ?

As far as the confernce and dividing up Germany into 4 sections (French, Russian, American, and English)... France was defeated by germans... Russia would have been too, if Germans wouldn't have frozen to death...
But, it just came down to that.

Nevermind, I found it easily :

Canada's Role
Canadian Forces played an important role in liberating the Netherlands. Canadians who landed on D-Day, fought battles through France, Belgium, the Scheldt and in Germany before being dispatched back to the Netherlands with the Canadians who had fought in Italy. Canadian orders were to push the German troops occupying the northeast back to the sea and to drive German troops in the west back into Germany. The advance was halted on April 12, because of concern for the well-being of citizens in the western Netherlands, who, having been starved for months, ran the risk of having their country flooded if the Germans panicked and opened the dykes
On April 28, the Canadians negotiated a truce which permitted relief supplies to enter the western Netherlands and end the "Hunger Winter". No part of western Europe was liberated at a more vital moment than the Netherlands and the Dutch people cheered Canadian troops as one town after another was freed
To show their appreciation to the pilots who dropped food from the air, many Dutch people painted, "Thank you, Canadians!" on their rooftops. In honour of their gift of freedom Dutch people have donated 10,000 tulip bulbs to Canada for the National Capital Region, annually since the war's end. For 1995, the Netherlands donated an additional 5,000 bulbs for Parliament Hill, 1,000 for each provincial and territorial capital and 1,000 for Ste. Anne's hospital in Saint-Anne-de-Bellevue, Que. (the only remaining federal hospital in Canada, administered by Veterans Affairs Canada)

Last edited:

klein

This one is for our dutch friends. And a big thank-you, you haven't forgotten us !
Come visit if you wish. I, and all of Canada make a good host, too ! :)

60th Liberation Day Parade in Holland

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I actually forgot to mention that. For a very small population that Canada has, we are second in entertainment on this world.
(singers and actors)

Here's a nice list from our famous ones :

http://www.probability.ca/jeff/canadians.html
Nice list there Mr. Canadian we only need 3 people on our list to top your entire list !!!!
1 Dwight D Eisenhower gave orders to Monty & Patton,saved the free world,should be on Mt Rushmore....
images
2 John Wayne
images
Made everyone want to be a tuff American!!!
3 BABE RUTH no explanation needed!!! nuff said !!
images
Call again soon when canada can produce these types of legends !!!1

Covemastah

Actually, to this day, Holland still has a special Canada Memorial Day.
Where they carry and raise Canadain Flags.
Because, we freed them.

We did a lot of work, before you got there.

And those were different days, USA wasn't even in the top 10 when it came to military power (without the nuke that was developed with help of german sceintists, during the war).
we got there a year or so after your mighty mountie and bloaks from England escaped off the beaches of Dunkirk,only because Hitler wouldn't listen to his generals and persue you into the sea!!!
We became a superpower because our naughty,naughty capalitist who run the big companies in America {very bad,] re/tooled our factories with in months and cranked out jeeps tanks guns planes & warships, Yup bad bad Americans with the will power to over come the odds & free the world once again.. And as Tie metioned before ,we sent a one George S. Patton, the guy who finished at the bottom of his class at West Point To show Momty how to kick Rommels ass in the African/Middle east theatre..

Last edited:

Covemastah

Cheryl & Mods.. please don't turn me over to canadian homeland security,I didn't want to start a war here !!!

klein

we got there a year or so after your mighty mountie and bloaks from England escaped off the beaches of Dunkirk,only because Hitler wouldn't listen to his generals and persue you into the sea!!!
We became a superpower because our naughty,naughty capalitist who run the big companies in America {very bad,] re/tooled our factories with in months and cranked out jeeps tanks guns planes & warships, Yup bad bad Americans with the will power to over come the odds & free the world once again.. And as Tie metioned before ,we sent a one George S. Patton, the guy who finished at the bottom of his class at West Point To show Momty how to kick Rommels ass in the African/Middle east theatre..

Free the world. You used that a few times now.
I do admit, America plays a big role in "freeing the world".
But they also have screw ups.
Germany was only half freed. (russians took over the other half, and the cold war began).
Korea, basically same thing. Still north and south there.

Afghanistan, yup, give the Taiban and Al Quada weapons to fight the Russians off.
That didn't work to well, either.

Iraq, I don't even know why there is still a war there.
(people are free of Saddam). But, the fighting continues.

And as to your famous list, never said we had more then USA, but for a small country, we do well.
Germany however tops that list by far.
People like Albert Einstein, Mozart, Karl Benz, Gottlieb Daimler, Robert Bosch,Ferry Porsche, even Levi Strauss (the jeans John Wayne and americans love to wear). Beethoven.
The list is almost endless.
Even miltary wise : first tank, rockets, U-boot, inventor of A-Bomb.

Covemastah

I will not argue with the fact that Gretzky was a great player,but he was no match for Robert G. Orr who brought hockey back to life in N.England..

images

Gretzky said in S.I (a great American sports magazine) that he worshiped Bobby Orr & wanted to be like him!!

Last edited:

klein

Great player yes,but moved to America and married a hottie from Missouri. Must not have wanted to extend the Canadian bloodline.

Actually, there is a good story behind that.
He got sold for DOLLARS, and he left in tears !

The owner of the Edmonton Oilers, Peter Pockington, was greedy.
But, what he didn't realize, that the people of Edmonton would so much hate him, that the 2 companies he owned here (city dairy, -milk products, and a huge meat plant - prepacked meats, such as bacon, luncheon meat, etc) would be forever boycotted.

People would go the extra mile to another store, that didn't carry his milk or meat.
So, ofcourse, it was just a matter of time (within a yr), that both those companies went bankrupt.
And so did Peter, he had to sell his Oiler team.

Message is: don't screw with our hockey !
This is a major hockey city.

Peter is now living somewhere in the states, hiding from his debts here in Canada. He was once the richest person living in this city.
Now, he's like OJ Simpson - has nothing !

Edmonton has in Gretzky's memory, a larger then life style Statue for him, and also a City Freeway named after him.
He will never be forgotten, every sports bar, some reg bars, even has memorabilia hanging on the walls, mostly even signed.
His jersey #99, can never be used by any other player in the entire NHL. It's retired.
And he does come here to visit quite often, even with his wife Janet.
Like the anual golf tournament here, or with the Coyotes (no longer), or just to watch a darn good playoff game, in our hockey madness arena and city.

satellitedriver

No Spain here, if a 3rd one, it would have been german, at one time 25% of our population.
Klien,
Spain did own, albeit, a small part of what became Canada.
I hope my map link works. The red is Spanish America.

250px-Spanish_America.PNG

Sorry that I nit pick, when I know I am correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Our beer is better.Girls here have the right to bare breasts(although I have yet to witness this)
We can go to Cuba real cheap...
You can hang a right on a red light!
ok thats all I can think of for now,,,,

I need a passport NOW!!!!

M

Mike23

Awwww, geez...If no other Canadian will post it, I will...

Also feel free to utube the rest of the 'I Am Canadian' commercials just for the laughs. They are pretty darn funny. I like the attack beaver one myself :D

Anyways, onto a few facts about the WWII situation.

Majority of the uranium was actually taken from the Chalk River area in Ontario.

I can't recall the fact exactly but we either spearheaded farther inland then any other country or were the only country to accomplish all our D-day objectives...It could be both for all I know.

We were the FIRST commonwealth country to send troops to Britain in 1939. Considering the size of the commonwealth at the time, it's obvious we weren't 'forced' to go like SOME people on this thread believe. We went willingly...

How willingly? Over 40% of our male population (between 18-45), with the majority of them being volunteers, went to war during WWII.

If you're going to tell me the US rebuilt Europe, where were you to put out the fires? Canada sent over a VOLUNTEER unit of firefighters (only half professional firefighters and the other half were only given advice from the pros as their 'training') to help put out the flames in England. What's more dangerous? Rebuilding a country or trying to keep it from burning down?

After England lost much of it's fleet during the retreat, and therefore it's sailors, Canada actually crewed majority of English ships that were built for the RN (yes, thank you USA for building the ships so that WE could fight on them).

RN ships had booze on it...US' did not...Who's ship would you rather be on now, hmm?

Canada trained more than a quarter million aircrew during the war.

Canada also built the 3rd largest navy (in hulls) from scratch in 6 years (yes, USA likely led the way even though you look at the population sizes during the time you had the manpower, we did not).

The only war memorial in London commemorating foreign troops is dedicated to the Canadians.

Oh, also majority of your 'special forces' were bred from the Canadian version of it.

Now, by no means am I trying to belittle what the Americans did. I thank you wholeheartedly for what you did but considering the population size of Canada at the time, I think we do have a lot to be proud of, especially being the first western country to get involved.

I think right now too the US are allowed to visit Cuba again? You just can't bring home their good cigars?

I'm unsure if I told this story before, but it's one my father told me that I found pretty darn funny. He did a stint over in Germany during his reserve days (1970's I believe) and got leave to visit Holland with a bunch of his unit buddies. They couldn't find a single inn or hotel as they were booked solid for whatever reason. Well, they were trying to figure out what to do when a hotel manager asks them where they're from. They said Canada. The hotel manager says, 'oh, hang on, we have Americans staying here. I'll kick them out and you can have their rooms'.

klein

Gee Mike, didn't even want to bring this up:
But here's another true story:

When my brother and I were visiting Germany in 1991, we were sitting in a local bar, in a corner, minding our own business. (We were communicating in english, since my brother speaks only very little German).

Anyways, thier "Stammtisch" , (it's a big table that only has regulars occupying it), were talking about us in german.
Saying things like useless americans, no good for nothing, etc.

It just wouldn't stop, so I told my brother, I'm gonna go walk over there, tell them we are Canadian.
He said, don't bother, he doesn't want trouble.
But, after a few more minutes, I just couldn't handle it anymore, so I did walk over, told them, in german, that I could understand everything they were saying about us, but we are Canadains, not Americans.

Holy crap, they invited us over, bought us drinks all evening long, and wanted to know everything about Canada.

Anyways, thats not the first and only place, we were offered free drinks, even free meals at times.

They like us, and I can only imagine the dutch even much more so.

Covemastah

We put out the biggest fire,The God damb NAZIS !!!!! We also produced the two most important weapons home grown in America
Patton and Ike
patton-crop.jpg