Knee Problems

AssistantSanta

My first driver specifically stated that some safety rules will have to be broken to get things done. He expected me to run

In the other thread you started, you said you weren't aware you shouldn't run but the safety comment is a give away he knows you shouldn't.

If you do this again or your friend does it, keep in mind helpers are hired to work alongside drivers to help the company. While drivers have more to lose, they have significant protection from the union while helpers can be fired at a drop of hat and they'll simply replace you with someone else from the pool of helpers.

Drivers realize their body is the only body. He should treat helpers as if they were their one and only body, not some fresh company provided automatic hand trucks that UPS will replace if he ruins them.

They have no right to drive helpers into the ground. If the safety violation comes at your expense, call the coordinator and report "he wants me to run and I was told some safety rules will have to be broken to get things done and my knees hurt". Looking after yourself to protect yourself isn't ratting.

He's also not doing his fellow drivers any favor making numbers by cutting 3 1/2 corners at the expense of helper's well being.

Last edited:

FDC88

Knee problems for driver helpers are quite common. My first season as a runner was the first time in my life that I have experienced knee pain. Getting in and out of the truck 200+ times in a day is tough on someone who is not accustomed to that type of impact. It does get better over time, but not in the amount of time that you are employed as helper. It just has to be dealt with to the best of your ability.

S

splozi

In the other thread you started, you said you weren't aware you shouldn't run but the safety comment is a give away he knows you shouldn't.

Sorry, those two sentences should not have been lumped side-by-side. They were two separate statements not directly related to each other. I actually realized this later on but it was too late to edit.

He did specifically state that safety rules will have to be broken, but not in regard to running. The expectation of running was either direct or implied, I cannot recall. I just know I was willing to do what was necessary to get the job done to his satisfaction.

I work in preload, so as far as I am aware, I did have union "protection" while helping too? If not, someone will correct me.

As far as cutting corners goes, he's the kind of driver that will be done with 250 stops before 5pm (business pickups and deliveries included). So I'm sure he cuts a lot of them.

If there is a next year for me, when peak comes around, I will specifically request a driver who will not expect me to run, to avoid any awkwardness when the time comes. I'm sure they know who those drivers are. There's a guy at my center who did 400 stops by 6:30. They know what's up; they just don't care.

Maybe I'll even get the same one I had during the latter part of this peak, especially if they don't move me to another area again and I continue loading his truck.

AssistantSanta

Getting in and out of the truck 200+ times in a day is tough on someone who is not accustomed to that type of impact.
I've never done anything like this before, but I didn't experience anything beyond moderate soreness. It's basically going up and down stairs repeatedly. I never hopped down so that might have helped. I can't tell for sure since I haven't tried both ways to compare it. If you hop, you'll shock load your knees so I wouldn't be surprised if making it a habit of hopping makes soreness worse.

I've slipped and fell on wet leaves more than once before, so I knew jumping off wasn't going to be a good idea.

I work in preload, so as far as I am aware, I did have union "protection" while helping too? If not, someone will correct me.
I'm not entirely sure, but my impression is that not to anything close to the same degree as high seniority full time drivers. Don't quote me on this. Someone with long union experience can explain this better.

There's a guy at my center who did 400 stops by 6:30. They know what's up; they just don't care.
It's hard to tell. If your team gets a helper friendly course with favorable load that lets both of you deliver at the same time for significant amount of time, that is pretty much equivalent to having two drivers. Tight resi with almost every house getting something, one per house and mostly light stuff that you can walk 5-6 stops easy and while you're doing it, driver can go do heavier stuff that needs the truck or both of you can be walking those easy stops at once.

I think getting used effectively works out better than getting used hard by lazy butt. A driver that drops me off at the entrance of dead-end street with light but time consuming signature required stuff and drives off to do heavier stuff at the end of cul-de-sac freed up two solid minutes.

When he's done with the heavy stuff and comes back around, the package is delivered or properly processed as NotIn, stop is completed and ready to go.

Lazy, ineffective driver would drive to the first stop, make me run, go to next stop, make me run again and repeat. He's basically eliminating the leg work, pushing the helper hard physically but not making as good of utilization of time as the first example. This is the only option if the helper can't learn or driver won't allow him to use the DIAD. The helper has to walk more faster overall to make up for the time driver has to spend interacting with customers and operating the DIAD. If you walk slower and wastes five minutes a day, but save 15 minutes by being able to run the DIAD, its win-win. You don't have to work as hard, and as a team you're still 10 minutes ahead. So its obvious that drivers who are willing to do the manual labor in the interest of saving time can have advantage without running the poor helper into the ground.

Those rural courses that doesn't allow the helper and driver to deliver at the same time don't really benefit from helpers and the helper is just predisposed to get "used" by the driver.

As far as cutting corners goes, he's the kind of driver that will be done with 250 stops before 5pm (business pickups and deliveries included). So I'm sure he cuts a lot of them.

If there is a next year for me, when peak comes around, I will specifically request a driver who will not expect me to run, to avoid any awkwardness when the time comes. I'm sure they know who those drivers are. There's a guy at my center who did 400 stops by 6:30. They know what's up; they just don't care.

Was the 250 a residential route? The Driver and me were averaging 240 stops during peak but it was in an area with a lot of long driveways. We were never done before 7 PM. 400 by 6:30? This driver must be tossing packages out the window as they scan them!

AssistantSanta

Was the 250 a residential route? The Driver and me were averaging 240 stops during peak but it was in an area with a lot of long driveways. We were never done before 7 PM. 400 by 6:30? This driver must be tossing packages out the window as they scan them!

In the area I worked in there were some houses with designated walk path so you can go right from one porch to the next. I think they walk paths are meant for meter readers. These houses were as close as you can get to being a row house without an actual shared wall.

My driver backed up A LOT, and if the driveway was very long, he drove off to make other deliveries while I'm walking.

S

splozi

They were mostly residential stops in a nice part of town, so lots of long driveways too (not all, though). There were also business deliveries/pickups at a shopping center. A few apartments, too.

They were mostly residential stops in a nice part of town, so lots of long driveways too (not all, though). There were also business deliveries/pickups at a shopping center. A few apartments, too.

That sounds like the route I was on. We had the courthouse and government building which meant delivering to individual offices and that took a good amount of time. We got through the businesses faster once I had the scanning down and was able to cover several stores while the driver was taking care of a store with a higher number of packages. The greatest hindrance to getting done early was that no matter what time you finished, the UPS box at the government building had to be checked after 5:30 and the UPS store had to be swept after 6:30.

S

splozi

The greatest hindrance to getting done early was that no matter what time you finished, the UPS box at the government building had to be checked after 5:30 and the UPS store had to be swept after 6:30.

Time commitments... are a nuisance.

AssistantSanta

This is why you always compare the physical address on the package (not the PAL) with the address that you are attempting delivery at as you walk up to the delivery location.

me the helper, or the driver? If the driver is just pushing me around and telling me "take this to that house over there" and he expects it done fast, I just do that. That's how those two errors were made.

If I get two houses side by side crossed, I can see how I can get blamed, but if something is off by a street or a few blocks and the truck is right by it, I don't see how I can get blamed for it.

If the driver scanned it on his computer, I take it wherever he tells me. If it gets misdelivered, oh well, but boy he got so peed when customer called in a misdelivery.

I was careful to avoid messing up anything I scanned though, just because.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am referrring to whomever is bringing the package to the house; in fact, I would think that it would apply more to a helper with limited area knowledge. It takes all of two seconds to compare the physical address (not the PAL) with the number on the house as your are walking to the delivery location.

AssistantSanta

I am referrring to whomever is bringing the package to the house; in fact, I would think that it would apply more to a helper with limited area knowledge. It takes all of two seconds to compare the physical address (not the PAL) with the number on the house as your are walking to the delivery location.
PAL? The boxes were marked with a four digit # with a rubber stamp that corresponds to four digit # that show up on the far right column in DIAD but that was only useful in having a clue how far along we were done.

Like I said, at first, driver didn't let me play with the board. At that time, I just delivered where he told me to deliver "take the box to the house with a blue van, and the envelope to the house with Black Mustang". I did as I was told. Quite a few misdeliveries were made.

After I started playing with the board, I only let through one misdelivery that I know of that was my own doing. Driver handed me wrong packages a few times a day, but I caught them before I delivered.

On the knee issues: I noticed some pain creep in when I was twisting my knees while working. Once i focused on picking my feet up when turning the pain faded away entirely.