Know this is funny time to investigate

FedExer267

I just got off the phone with a fellow employee who drives for the same Contractor. He had a helper all peak well apparently on Friday morning the Contractor walked up and handed him a envelope said Merry Christmas and walked away. So he opens the envelope and theres 300 plus dollars in it he thinks it is a bonus puts it in his pocket.
He finishes getting his day set up his helper shows up and says hey the boss said you have my money. His pay for the week yep he has been getting paid under the table.
So I guess he saves on not having him on the books but come on now this isnt a lawn service we work for it is a physically tiring job. What would of happened if this helper got hurt? it does happen
Isn't this illegal?
Maybe we should blackmail him for a paid vacation... LMAO:wink2:

brown&out

Whoa! I think this would be illegal. What if he slipped on ice and got a concussion? Is there some kind of insurance in place to protect him? He could sue the property owner maybe, but their insurance would probably investigate and there would be no record of him being a seasonal employee. I have no idea how this would turn out, but it seems to me the Contractor is open to liability. Fortunately nothing happened, but he should cease this practice. He could possibly lose everything he owns in a worst case scenario. Just my humble opinion.

bbsam

Staff member
It is illegal as far as tax law goes, but does not open the contractor to any personal reliability other than the workman's comp that the contractor carries. That insurance is paid as a percentage of the weekly settlement check based also on the number of vehicles the contractor has insured. Pretty expensive stuff. For instance: I own 10 trucks, but only use 8 on a daily basis. The w/c insurance is paid as if all 10 vehicles ran every day. In fact, I would get a better deal on the insurance if I had helpers in every truck because 16 would be insured rather than only eight.

FedExer267

So bbsam let me ask you hypothetically of course. If this guy got hurt how could he prove he indeed did work there if its not on the books?
It seems to me the Contractor would have alot of explaning to do. It opens the doors for a big lawsuit right. Would his employees be affected?
It just seems to me if your going to run this type of business every aspect should be on the up.
The other thing is know 2 of his employees know about this and what this guy was getting paid but this comes from the same guy who says he cant afford raises. I know you make more this time of year but in all honesty stop counts were not that much higher.
Times are tough most of us get that however if you add that 300 plus to my salary plus a few other concessions I would do it myself.

bbsam

Staff member
I agree. Things should be on the up and up. But think about what your second sentence said. "If this guy got hurt how could he prove he indeed did work there if its not on the books?" So who is taking the risk? But in all honesty, if the guy gets hurt, the contractor is going to turn it into insurance for exactly the reason you point out: he doesn't want any kind of employment office asking questions. The insurance company doesn't ask for check stubs.

FedExer267

Ironically enough this guy who was getting paid under the table showed up today and said his back was killing him. I am wondering is he looking for a buck are looking to exploit my Contractor. However this shakes out I am wondering if his employees are now going to suffer. I can see him pulling us all into a meeting to tell us he has to dock are pay for legal issues. So if this is the case we get screwed for his shaddy way of doing business. I hope bbsam he does use his insurance but if this guy presses the issue I can see it going to court. I think he opened the door to basically screw us all.

bbsam

Staff member
If he let's that get to court, he's just plain stupid. But we've already established that, haven't we.:wink2: