Labor Day Is For Working

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wkmac, Sep 4, 2011.

1. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

Interesting piece on the day by historian Thaddeus Russell.

2. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

I plan on working , need to change my car's oil, need to go out at low tide to properly place my lobster traps, its been tough to pick good spots at high tide.

3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Change your own oil? No Jiffy Lubes in eastern Massachusetts?

4. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

I always change my own oil too. I will know I'm old when I can't change my own oil.

And I'm just speaking about me, I am not saying others who go to Jiffy Lube are old!

5. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

I use a local version to Jiffy Lube, have for years. One reason is that by the time I find a recycle center to take the old oil and filter the cost is about the same. Another reason is I see it as helping provide jobs. One more reason is I hate doing it.

6. UpstateNYUPSer

They charge you for recycling oil and filters? Up here they are required to accept up to 5 gallons of used oil and filters free of charge per person per day.

I go there for the convenience. We are discouraged from working on our cars in the condo complex I live in. The only part I hate is when they try to "up-sell" you.

7. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

Going to in-laws, does that count ?

8. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

LOL Sleeve, it does for me. Mother-in-law and Sister-in-law, aging unmarried females living in one house ALWAYS needs something fixed, installed or moved.

Hope you and ALL BCers have a nice day off.

9. UpstateNYUPSer

As soon as they read the "aging unmarried females" that's not the only thing that will need fixin'.

10. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

I'm not askeered....they don't know how to get to this board.

11. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

yes they do.
    But my oil filter is located directly under the exhaust manifold. So the only way to remove it is when the engine is cold. I found that out the first time I went to Grease Monkey. Poor kid burnt his arm.
    Besides my vehicle has ( and I have a letter from Toyota proving this ) known history of excessive sludge build up.
    So I need it to sit for several hours, I let it drain out until nothing flows out, and I fill it up with Mobile 1 0w-30, must get prepared for the winter. For some added protection I pour in some Tufoil.

12. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

Happy Corporation Day!