Labor Relations

PT Car Washer

Upon our new contract we received 150 new 22.3 jobs!! The majority of these jobs went to Manhattan. The company has the 22.3 delivering ground work. These drivers DON'T get drivers pay. They keep there rate 22.3 Tim is eliminating the #1 job of this company. This is what TDU wants running the international.
The two tier driver wage is already here and has been for some time thanks to the Art 22.3 contract agreement.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Upon our new contract we received 150 new 22.3 jobs!! The majority of these jobs went to Manhattan. The company has the 22.3 delivering ground work. These drivers DON'T get drivers pay. They keep there rate 22.3 Tim is eliminating the #1 job of this company. This is what TDU wants running the international.
We have the same thing here. Probably since year 1 of 22.3. I have actually seen drivers swarming around their On Cars in the AM, all asking for a 22.3 'helper' for part of their day.

When you say majority, how many is that? Is it 76, or 101, or what? Have they all been put up for bid and filled, or 30 per year of contract, or what? We need some more facts.
How the hell can't they be getting ground rate?
Umm, because that's what was negotiated? Ask the negotiators? And ask the IBT, as I'm pretty sure they had to review & approve of it? After all, it's not like PT air walkers get PT air driver pay, or peak season helpers get pkg driver pay, or even peak season driver pay.

Let's see now, 22.3 top rate is now $28.14 right? $28.14×2080=$58,531.20, plus health & welfare and pension. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

We have the same thing here. Probably since year 1 of 22.3. I have actually seen drivers swarming around their On Cars in the AM, all asking for a 22.3 'helper' for part of their day.

When you say majority, how many is that? Is it 76, or 101, or what? Have they all been put up for bid and filled, or 30 per year of contract, or what? We need some more facts.
Umm, because that's what was negotiated? Ask the negotiators? And ask the IBT, as I'm pretty sure they had to review & approve of it? After all, it's not like PT air walkers get PT air driver pay, or peak season helpers get pkg driver pay, or even peak season driver pay.

Let's see now, 22.3 top rate is now $28.14 right? $28.14×2080=$58,531.20, plus health & welfare and pension. Sounds like a pretty good deal.
That kind of stuff would never fly in my local. No disrespect but when I started out being a brand new steward and starting my research I thought 705 was the most bad ass of them all. With what you say and as the years have gone by and I've caught up I can see its not what it seemed. We have n get had a 22.4 ground driver and if that was going to happen during peak or in an emergency they are always going to get 33.79 to do it. Is this something your guys in 705 & 710 agreed to?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Just to be clear, it's not a 22.3 driver. It's a driver's helper. For 4 hours. Then 4 hours in the hub sort, or preload, or something else.

PT Car Washer

Just to be clear, it's not a 22.3 driver. It's a driver's helper. For 4 hours. Then 4 hours in the hub sort, or preload, or something else.
My Center pays me top driver rate to cover pick ups or ground deliveries when needed. Great deal for me, $33/hr, great deal for the center as they only pay me for hours worked.

People who want to make more then $10/hr.
No you are more see by my point. The local had to agree to those jobs. That's not a Hoffa Hall problem. These locals have had their own separate contracts for years and bragged about it. Sounds like the grass isn't always greener just because 705 guys brag on an Internet forum.

PT Car Washer

No you are more see by my point. The local had to agree to those jobs. That's not a Hoffa Hall problem. These locals have had their own separate contracts for years and bragged about it. Sounds like the grass isn't always greener just because 705 guys brag on an Internet forum.
I would have to assume the FT drivers voted for it as PTers don't vote.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Good god who the hell would agree to that. That's the most stupid thing I've ever held.
Negotiators 15-17 years ago, they're long gone of course.

And these jobs pay more than the Article 40 jobs in the the NMA (unless they are held by a redcircled/pre 1982 Teamster).

PT Car Washer

Negotiators 15-17 years ago, they're long gone of course.

And these jobs pay more than the Article 40 jobs in the the NMA (unless they are held by a redcircled/pre 1982 Teamster).
Art 40 jobs pay just a bit less then Art 22.3 jobs. Plus they are so much easier and the opportunity to make top driver rate is there.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Art 40 jobs pay just a bit less then Art 22.3 jobs. Plus they are so much easier and the opportunity to make top driver rate is there.
Actually, a lot of people around here bid out of the Art 40 jobs on their own, for a variety of reasons. Then the company eliminated a lot of those Art 40 & 22.3 driver helper jobs here. The affected members had to bid into other 22.3, pkg, or 22.2 jobs. Probably because they (the company, who created the jobs in the first place) thought the jobs were 'easier'.
Yes! Also our rank and file negotiating committee. Both were idiots.
True or False question: Did the IBT review & approve of that?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Actually, a lot of people around here bid out of the Art 40 jobs on their own, for a variety of reasons. Then the company eliminated a lot of those Art 40 & 22.3 driver helper jobs here. The affected members had to bid into other 22.3, pkg, or 22.2 jobs. Probably because they (the company, who created the jobs in the first place) thought the jobs were 'easier'.
True or False question: Did the IBT review & approve of that?

Our local union ruined a bunch of 22.3 jobs as well. There are several with the lower pay and working 8 hours in the hub ("easy" half eliminated), which are supposed to be 22.2 pay.

Pretty simple fact: can't trust the union or company on anything, just hire a good attorney. ;)

member6045

The two tier driver wage is already here and has been for some time thanks to the Art 22.3 contract agreement.

ANYONE doing ground work is entitled to ground pay! Always has been! Just because they have been doing it for some time now!! Doesn't mean it's right!! It's a local issue here! Twist it as you may Pls Tim took money out of part timers and full timers pocket.

member6045

Our local has helpers friend/t and they make more than 22.3. The way it's going friend/t helpers will be out of a job and replaced bye 22.3

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Who does the work this 22.3 helper vacates?
Vacates, as in vacation/personal days?

Edit: either the dispatcher has to do a better job with the dispatch in the AM, or the On Car Supes have to figure out who they can send to help in the afternoon.