LABOR

bbsam

Staff member
I'll tell you this much. Taking your idea with all it's costs would put me well under my highest paid driver.

vantexan

We have had this discussion before. If bbsam is able to find qualified drivers willing to work for $15/hr why in the world would he give them $20?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Well an extra $5hr would be over $10k a year more, not $5k. If shelling out an extra $60k or so a year would leave him with $80k net then, if I were him I'd do it. Since he won't tell us his net we'll never know. But he certainly alluded to very good pay in the past.

vantexan

incorrect. Higher paid drivers increases taxes and insurance by far more than what you suggest.
You make it sound like an extra $5k a year would increase your matching taxes by almost as much when it would be an extra few hundred dollars per driver. If your personal income taxes, not to mention your own SS, were greatly reduced it would offset those taxes and insurance to some extent, if not completely. This isn't about your added expense, it's about you are in it to make as much as possible and you aren't going to settle for considerably less, even if it makes your employees' lives more difficult. If not then what's your annual net? If you truly would be making less than your highest paid employee ok. If doing the above puts you $20k or more above your highest employee I for one think that's fair. If you are pulling down $120k or more and refuse to do more for your own employees then you are part of the problem that this company has in compensating it's employees fairly.

bbsam

Staff member
$5k wouldn't lower them very much compared to $50k for you. Or you could put that money towards a health plan for your workers. Because you care about their health so much.;)
no I don't. I'm on record many times as saying it shouldn't even be an employer's obligation and that Obamacare is the open door to eventually getting to single payer the way most of the developed world does things. Also, that's a huge win for business and the business community would have been wise to embrace it fully from day one.

bbsam

Staff member
You make it sound like an extra $5k a year would increase your matching taxes by almost as much when it would be an extra few hundred dollars per driver. If your personal income taxes, not to mention your own SS, were greatly reduced it would offset those taxes and insurance to some extent, if not completely. This isn't about your added expense, it's about you are in it to make as much as possible and you aren't going to settle for considerably less, even if it makes your employees' lives more difficult. If not then what's your annual net? If you truly would be making less than your highest paid employee ok. If doing the above puts you $20k or more above your highest employee I for one think that's fair. If you are pulling down $120k or more and refuse to do more for your own employees then you are part of the problem that this company has in compensating it's employees fairly.
Again. Talk is cheap. Put yourself in a position to do what you think is right. At the very least, go find a local contractor and dig into the numbers before you decide on "compensating fairly".

vantexan

Again. Talk is cheap. Put yourself in a position to do what you think is right. At the very least, go find a local contractor and dig into the numbers before you decide on "compensating fairly".
I'm not the contractor in this discussion. You have the power to make a difference in your employees lives but won't. And yet you are always talking about Express couriers standing up against the company. Everyone is always saying if we don't like the company we should quit. I did. What have you done?

bbsam

Staff member
I'm not the contractor in this discussion. You have the power to make a difference in your employees lives but won't. And yet you are always talking about Express couriers standing up against the company. Everyone is always saying if we don't like the company we should quit. I did. What have you done?
you did quit. Good for you.

I've given two raises of $5200/year in the past 4 months. Not every driver is worth that raise. In addition, I'm bringing on two additional drivers beginning this week to bring them up to speed for the current increase in volume as well as the peak spike that's not at all far away. Yep. Already prepping for that. Or I could give each driver the raise and explain to them that I have each and every one of them for a minimum of 12 hours a day, possibly 14 and they will check with me before heading back to the building. I'll clue you in: that strategy ends very badly for everyone.

MAKAVELI

you did quit. Good for you.

I've given two raises of $5200/year in the past 4 months. Not every driver is worth that raise. In addition, I'm bringing on two additional drivers beginning this week to bring them up to speed for the current increase in volume as well as the peak spike that's not at all far away. Yep. Already prepping for that. Or I could give each driver the raise and explain to them that I have each and every one of them for a minimum of 12 hours a day, possibly 14 and they will check with me before heading back to the building. I'll clue you in: that strategy ends very badly for everyone.
What kind of raise would you offer them for 60 -70 hours a week?

bbsam

Staff member
What kind of raise would you offer them for 60 -70 hours a week?
I don't know. I really find that hard to even consider. As I told van, pushing people for 12 to 14 hours a day doesn't tend to end well. Doesn't matter how much they make. Just ask a UPS driver.

MAKAVELI

I don't know. I really find that hard to even consider. As I told van, pushing people for 12 to 14 hours a day doesn't tend to end well. Doesn't matter how much they make. Just ask a UPS driver.
I really doubt it would be UPS pay anyway. Probably a flat rate.

Serf

FedEx might decide to fire 250 random employees just to show solidarity,lol....
In the article I read it said that politicians are outraged and if UPS does terminate these employees, they risk losing all the breaks they get from Police in traffic tickets. Supposedly over 1 million annually in traffic breaks.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Labor is supposed to have the right to organize and collectively bargain in this country. While that right technically still exists, realistically it has been taken away with GOP maneuvering and tactics like Smith's RLA exemption, which amount to a war on unions.

Yet amazingly, the other airlines covered by the RLA managed to unionize.