Lacking Innovation

FedEx2000

This is amusing...you rag on me for wanting better pay and a decent retirement but you sound here like you think you got minimal raises. How much do you make again? Try years with no raises or, like 2010, minimal raises like 34 cents an hour. What's also funny is how you and Brett defend what's going on with CEO compensation, yet had a union get you what you've got. Ask any CEO what he thinks of unions. And Brett talks of being harassed by union mgrs. Any of them defraud customers and put him in the middle of it? Any of them force him to work 6 days to get his 35 hr guarantee, which we get on 5 days? Any of them falsify his timecards? Any of them lie to him about location of job opening to get him to move there? Oh, y'all can't transfer. That place was hell on Earth, used to start lunch at 2015 to 2030 and off work 2215 to 2230. Loaded hundreds of boxes in 100 degree heat after running all day. Wasn't AZ dry heat either. Point is you think you know but you don't. And I think anyone that works hard should be rewarded with better pay and a decent pension.

Other than 2009, what years are you referring to?

vantexan

Other than 2009, what years are you referring to?
We went 4.5 yrs between raises in the mid-90's. I remember about 3 years in that Fred S said if they gave a 2% raise to topped out couriers it would cost an extra $30 million a year and they just couldn't afford it. Same month they announced to Wall Street that FedEx had a $250 million in profit in one quarter for the first time. I was domiciled in a small town in Colorado when I finally got a .39hr raise in early '97. My mgr told me I'd better enjoy it, it was the last I'll see for a very long time. I got angry and quit and of course not long after they gave topped out couriers some substantial raises. Just another reason I have such a high opinion of your fellow mgrs. And of course now their answer to everything seems to be raise starting pay to attract newhires. They talk alot, but make no effort to help us in mid-range. They'll just use us, and if we quit replace us with a cheaper employee and it takes many years for the cash balance plan to amount to anything. So if you do quit they cut you a check and usher you out of their system. Nice folks you work for.

FedEx2000

We went 4.5 yrs between raises in the mid-90's. I remember about 3 years in that Fred S said if they gave a 2% raise to topped out couriers it would cost an extra $30 million a year and they just couldn't afford it. Same month they announced to Wall Street that FedEx had a $250 million in profit in one quarter for the first time. I was domiciled in a small town in Colorado when I finally got a .39hr raise in early '97. My mgr told me I'd better enjoy it, it was the last I'll see for a very long time. I got angry and quit and of course not long after they gave topped out couriers some substantial raises. Just another reason I have such a high opinion of your fellow mgrs. And of course now their answer to everything seems to be raise starting pay to attract newhires. They talk alot, but make no effort to help us in mid-range. They'll just use us, and if we quit replace us with a cheaper employee and it takes many years for the cash balance plan to amount to anything. So if you do quit they cut you a check and usher you out of their system. Nice folks you work for.

Just checked the historical data on the compensation website, the only way you wouldn't have gotten a raise in the 90's is if your review was below a 4.0, exactly the same as it is now. So either you had bad reviews and thus didn't get/deserve a raise, or you are either intentionally or unintentionally misrepresenting historical facts...........Or possibly the alzheimer's is kicking in early.

vantexan

Just checked the historical data on the compensation website, the only way you wouldn't have gotten a raise in the 90's is if your review was below a 4.0, exactly the same as it is now. So either you had bad reviews and thus didn't get/deserve a raise, or you are either intentionally or unintentionally misrepresenting historical facts...........Or possibly the alzheimer's is kicking in early.
Chief, check again. TOPPED OUT couriers went 4.5 years between raises. Back then it didn't take as long to top out and newhires and midrange were getting their raises. We topped out couriers weren't. And thus Fred S's statement about giving a 2% raise to topped out employees would cost them too much. I was at $13.50hr when I quit on the no longer existent C payscale. $13.11 until that raise I got. Sorry, but you weren't there. Ask your older couriers about not getting raises in the 90's. And in case you missed it my current $17.64hr was worth $12.77 in '98, the year I was rehired. How do you think that makes me and other couriers feel?

vantexan

And I got good reviews although I could've done better between accidents and sick days. As a swing in Florida the onroad portion of my review was 6.9XX. Nearly perfect. And I had a district director ask to meet me in Topeka, KS in '91. Said he had never heard of any courier consistently running a rt at 150%. I ran windsprints. I've transferred into 5 different rts over the years that were reconfigured after I left because person who took over couldn't handle it. I did, and got no help. Had to transfer out to get away from ridiculously bad rts. Have a great rt now and I volunteer to unload containers to compensate. Not to toot my own horn, just pointing out I've earned every penny but FedEx doesn't reward hard work. If a person is willing to work they will run him into the ground. No better pay, while mgrs buds kiss up and get good raises while skating. If mgmt isn't happy with our numbers they have no one but themselves to blame.

LTFedExer

Chief, check again. TOPPED OUT couriers went 4.5 years between raises. Back then it didn't take as long to top out and newhires and midrange were getting their raises.
Topped out couriers were getting, what was called Propay instead of raises. 1 check based on your review and what you made the entire year before. Newhires and midrange were getting their raises (your words). So, you DID get raises those years?

vantexan

Topped out couriers were getting, what was called Propay instead of raises. 1 check based on your review and what you made the entire year before. Newhires and midrange were getting their raises (your words). So, you DID get raises those years?
Everyone got propay and it didn't amount to much. Let's say you got an 80 cent raise. On 40 hrs that's $32 a week more X 52 weeks =$1624 increase. Do you think Propay was paying that much? I don't remember but I think I was getting $300 or so a year more, which they eventually took away. By the way, every year now they seem to be increasing top-out by 3%. For each payscale 3% is a different number. The result, the higher the payscale, the farther away it's pulling from the ones below. On the lowest "B" payscale I believe it's $1.08 lower than the next "A" payscale. I can remember when it was .90 cents. Much of the country is on the "B" scale and we're falling further behind every year. Yes, consigned to the working class and yet some are cheering them on and defending everything they do.

LTFedExer

Everyone got propay and it didn't amount to much. Let's say you got an 80 cent raise. On 40 hrs that's $32 a week more X 52 weeks =$1624 increase. Do you think Propay was paying that much? I don't remember but I think I was getting $300 or so a year more, which they eventually took away. By the way, every year now they seem to be increasing top-out by 3%. For each payscale 3% is a different number. The result, the higher the payscale, the farther away it's pulling from the ones below. On the lowest "B" payscale I believe it's $1.08 lower than the next "A" payscale. I can remember when it was .90 cents. Much of the country is on the "B" scale and we're falling further behind every year. Yes, consigned to the working class and yet some are cheering them on and defending everything they do.
The way I understood it, Propay was given in lieu of a raise to topped out couriers only, while everyone else got raises. I wasn't around back that far, so I'll ask the couriers at work that were.

vantexan

The way I understood it, Propay was given in lieu of a raise to topped out couriers only, while everyone else got raises. I wasn't around back that far, so I'll ask the couriers at work that were.
No, everyone got Propay, but it was based on seniority. The longer with the company, the more you got. But it in no way was as much as a raise.

And I got good reviews although I could've done better between accidents and sick days. As a swing in Florida the onroad portion of my review was 6.9XX. Nearly perfect. And I had a district director ask to meet me in Topeka, KS in '91. Said he had never heard of any courier consistently running a rt at 150%. I ran windsprints. I've transferred into 5 different rts over the years that were reconfigured after I left because person who took over couldn't handle it. I did, and got no help. Had to transfer out to get away from ridiculously bad rts. Have a great rt now and I volunteer to unload containers to compensate. Not to toot my own horn, just pointing out I've earned every penny but FedEx doesn't reward hard work. If a person is willing to work they will run him into the ground. No better pay, while mgrs buds kiss up and get good raises while skating. If mgmt isn't happy with our numbers they have no one but themselves to blame.

You`re a runner and gunner. You`ve been giving it away free for years and now you have the nerve to complain your`re not being compensated for it?

Clueless.

LTFedExer

No, everyone got Propay, but it was based on seniority. The longer with the company, the more you got. But it in no way was as much as a raise.
Forgive me if I don't take your word for it.
You`re a runner and gunner. You've been giving it away free for years and now you have the nerve to complain your`re not being compensated for it?

Clueless.
Just be glad he's not tooting his own horn.:wink2:

FedEx2000

Chief, check again. TOPPED OUT couriers went 4.5 years between raises. Back then it didn't take as long to top out and newhires and midrange were getting their raises. We topped out couriers weren't. And thus Fred S's statement about giving a 2% raise to topped out employees would cost them too much. I was at $13.50hr when I quit on the no longer existent C payscale. $13.11 until that raise I got. Sorry, but you weren't there. Ask your older couriers about not getting raises in the 90's. And in case you missed it my current $17.64hr was worth $12.77 in '98, the year I was rehired. How do you think that makes me and other couriers feel?

Ok, you were topped out, a fact that was conveniently left out to make it sound as though no one got a raise for 4.5 years. Again, you chose to quit based on something one person told you. Tip: Managers at the Ops level have no idea what is going to happen with their pay, let alone yours, year to year. So for a mgr to tell you that it's the last raise you'll or that you will top-out in 7 year or whatever they said is just plain ignorant, as is believing them unless you're just in the door.

I don't doubt you have earned your money, you made a bad decision.....deal with it and move on.

How do "mgrs buds" get good raises while skating? Do you know what the categories on the review are? There is only one category that your mgr has any input on, and it amounts to a whopping 7% of your review. Come to work on-time everyday, don't get into accidents, and VAN/POD each pkg....you'll get a 6.5+ every time. That's not really asking a whole lot. A manager can't fudge those numbers.....without risking their job for that person.

vantexan

According to his past posts, he was not topped out.
I was topped out for 7 years before I quit and FedEx 2000 I didn't quit based on what one person said. It's interesting how you guys always try to twist things. And FedEx2000 if you'll go back you'll see that I did say topped out employees. No need on commenting on the peanut gallery from UPS. Whatever you guys think, know this...I write my posts for the company monitors. I want them to know who I am, what I've been through. I want them to verify what I say from my records. I want them to know that their system is hurting alot of people. Y'all can squawk and snort all you want, doesn't really matter. This is a public witness to what has happened to hard working people who've given most of their adult life to people who lie, cheat, and defraud while demanding we be honest and productive. Be their sycophants all you want, doesn't change the facts of what they've done and most likely will do. If you don't take decent care of the people who make it happen for you then you are running on borrowed time. And just like the idiots in Congress and on Wall Street who screwed us all, when it collapses at FedEx it won't just be stockholders who get hurt.

vantexan

Topped out in '97 was $13.50/hour? I don't care what pay scale you were in, that's hard to believe.
There were originally 4 payscales, A, B, C, and D. Over time FedEx realized some areas needed higher pay to attract workers. They added the E, friend, H, J, and L payscales, with E above A and L the highest. Don't know why they didn't rearrange letters, but that's how they did it. Eventually they decided that the C and D didn't pay enough and dropped them. I was on the C payscale when I quit. When I transferred there I dropped to $13.11 as a topped out employee, got the .39 cent raise to $13.50 not long before I quit. Pointed out here before that my current $17.64 was worth $12.77 in '98 so in terms of purchasing power I'm not making as much as I did in '97. You think I'm complaining now, you should've heard topped out employees in '96 and '97. Turns out there was a union scare back then that encouraged FedEx to come through with some decent raises for topped out employees. They however have decided that mid-range employees will be kept down and have worked it out to where a union threat is very unlikely due to lobbying and obtaining special consideration from Congress.

LTFedExer

When I transferred there I dropped to $13.11 as a topped out employee, got the .39 cent raise to $13.50 not long before I quit.
When I was hired in Dec '99, starting pay was $13.00 and top pay was around (I can't remember exactly) $20. I doubt top pay at the lowest scale was not $7.00 less. 7 years ago, NY ---> MS was a $3.50 difference.

vantexan

When I was hired in Dec '99, starting pay was $13.00 and top pay was around (I can't remember exactly) $20. I doubt top pay at the lowest scale was not $7.00 less. 7 years ago, NY ---> MS was a $3.50 difference.
Well apparently no one who has actually experienced something can tell you anything if you decide it wasn't so. I was rehired at $10.85hr on the B payscale in Nov.'98. And that was the lowest payscale and still is. C and D had been dropped for being too low. And to add insult to injury, the station that oversaw me as a domicile, Pueblo, had A pay, $14.79hr for topped out couriers if I remember right. Come to find out that courier who had the domiciled rt before me was getting A pay too. When he transferred the company posted position with C pay. Mgr agreed with me that costs were at least 30% higher in Salida than Pueblo, but I was 2 payscales lower. When I transferred there I assumed it would be cheaper since it was on C payscale but company doesn't look at it that way. They know there are people who are hanging on anyway they can in places like Salida just to live there. Driving cabs, waiting tables, whatever. So they pay as little as they have to, knowing plenty will jump at the chance. I always wanted to live in the Rockies, so I jumped too. Beautiful place but not worth the high costs IMO.