Laid Off Driver question

L

Laid Off

I was told I could work 4 hours on the preload and 4 hours on the reload each day I am laid off. Can someone tell me if i have to work both shifts? each day? I was sent home one day because I did not work the preload.

helenofcalifornia

Drivers in our center that were laid off this spring were allowed to work only one of the two shifts. Maybe it's a problem that they expected you to work two shifts and you didn't tell them you only wanted to work one.

Braveheart

You have the right to work both shifts to get your 8 hours.

I would say work both to get all the hours credited towards the pension. I think there is a new requirement for a minimum number of hours to credit for the whole year.

You also need 156 reports to get your vacation and sick days for 2009.

Good luck. If everyone that is laid off just says no problem i will work 4 hours a day, they will expand the layoffs like a tidal wave.

We must hold the line.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

In the Southern Supplement we are guaranteed 8 hours by double shifting and we keep our driving pay rate as long as the layoff doesn't last more than 7 consecutive days. After the 7th consecutive day the pay is changed to what we'd be making in the hub as a part-timer based on our seniority.

pkg-king

The layoffs in our center don't ever hit the fulltime driver. Plenty of pt cover-drivers to layoff, they only get the option to work the reload.

705red

Browncafe Steward
The layoffs in our center don't ever hit the fulltime driver. Plenty of pt cover-drivers to layoff, they only get the option to work the reload.
Pkg king, with all these pt cover drivers when was the last time a new ftime driver was hired in your center?

beefybudds

I just have to give my input to this layoff thread...

First my location is minnesota

This comming up week there are 3 of us drivers being laid off.
In order to get our eight hours we can work the preload and reload shift.
Our pay while being a laid off driver is the pay of a fulltime inside job $23 and some change.
Myself and the the third guy are what we call cut drivers in our center, we run cut cars and cover for vacations while the middle guy being laid off has his own route.

Last edited:

rocket man

yea you have to do that 4 hr then 4 hour feel lucky you get that much people are doing in our bld . pt workers only get 4 hrs .

705red

Browncafe Steward
As of ratification of our contract any laid off employee will keep their current rate of pay, sounds like this needs to be added to the nma.

beefybudds

As of ratification of our contract any laid off employee will keep their current rate of pay, sounds like this needs to be added to the nma.
Wouldnt that be nice. Under the last contract if we were laid off we got paid what we would be making if we were pt. So for us the ft inside wages is a plus :) But it still sucks. Last ft hire was over 2 years ago :(
Our pay for layoff is addresed in the central region rider

L

lurker

There are different sets of pay scales(rules) based on if you have made top scale or not.

M

Mcleod

When I was on layoff for about 1/2 of last year...no joke, I filed unemployment on them. They didn't like it but I did anyway.

UPS Lifer

I was told I could work 4 hours on the preload and 4 hours on the reload each day I am laid off. Can someone tell me if i have to work both shifts? each day? I was sent home one day because I did not work the preload.

I smell a troll!

Since when can you work 8 hours (4 preload and 4 reload) when you are laid off?

Where was the reference to combo job?

If it were a combo job it would have to start with the reload move into the next day into the preload. Chances are that if there is a reload the am portion is driver load.... and one of the shifts would probably have an open slot (more likely) at the beginning of the week!

beefybudds

I smell a troll!

Since when can you work 8 hours (4 preload and 4 reload) when you are laid off?

Where was the reference to combo job?

If it were a combo job it would have to start with the reload move into the next day into the preload. Chances are that if there is a reload the am portion is driver load.... and one of the shifts would probably have an open slot (more likely) at the beginning of the week!
There are many options when a ft driver gets laid off.
The option I use is to bump 2 pt people to get my 8 hrs.
Another option I have is to take a 1 week layoff unpaid and bump into another center which has a driver with less ft driving senority than myself.
I also believe there are a couple other options but I have only asked about the above 2.
In our center we have 1 combo job. He has a inside/outside job. He preloads and runs nda. But for months now he has been only getting 5 or so hours a week doing his air part. However he has been luck getting the chance to get all his 8 hrs in one shift. The center manager lets him stay and porter after the preload.