Laid off Drivers as helpers at $8.50

nocturnalbuck

i am the bottom driver at our center. i alternate between helping and driving during peak season as needed. while helping i get paid as a driver. just the other day i was laid off for a day while they had a helper working. i talked to our state union guy who said i was guaranteed 8 hrs if helping and i should be working before any helper. also, i had the right to work out of the center , as opposed to meeting a driver somewhere.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
They pull TP60s out to gated communities and have helpers delver them with a golf cart.

Who drives the carts?

We had issues here as well, with "helpers" working without being under the direct supervision of a driver. When you leave the helper for 3 hours while you are popping off stops, you are not in direct supervision of your helper.

Also, a driver drives the company vehicle. Any vehicle used to deliver packages. personal, public or otherwise becomes a company vehicle. And as such, the buy that drives it is a driver and is paid drivers wages. Period.

Here, any helper that does not have contact with the driver every 10-20 minutes is considered a driver.

At our center, days off by seniority are given while the lesser senior drivers are able to work.

But they have gotten a new Bosshole, so who knows how things will change.

But the over all language is clear. If you drive a vehicle for UPS while delivering, you are a driver, and entitled to drivers wages.

d

I'm a full time driver and currently laid off and being a helper. This week they have me driving a golf cart in a small grid like area. As far as I'm concerned I am driving. and not helping. And next week my paycheck better reflect that. I was already told by the union that I will receive full drivers pay for helping (jumping).

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Our bottom seniority driver won a grievance on Tuesday for 6hrs pay because he was not used as a driver and helpers were used. Ruling was that all available seniority drivers must be on the street prior to any helpers being used!!!

BrownBlue

New Jack
What UPS is doing this peak is shamefull. I'd say 75% of drivers in our center are working between 10.5-12 hours a day, while they chop out routes. Missed are up, and worst of all chopped route pick ups are being missed but sheeted as stop complete. Local management doesnt care, it all looks good on numbers. Missed stops are being sheeted as NR1 per management. Well we should loose enough customers after this peak that IE will get their wish of chopping half the routes out.

Stoph

Stoph
I also am in this same situation. I am a cover driver that has been laid off since Feb. my question is what happens after peak with the peak drivers? Does their building seniority count for anything? I know of a couple peak drivers that have more seniorty than me. After peak are they ahead of me on the cover driver seniorty list, or where they considred peak drivers and this will not send me further down the list of drivers waiting to go ft.

jaded1

counting the days til 80
Our laid off drivers are going to deliver on bicycles. Definitely worth the minimum wage for that gig. Where is this company headed? Oh well, after my 11 hour day today that makes 7 years, 6 months and 12 days to go- not that I'm counting.

Thumbster

I couldn't find anything in the Master, but I believe the starting rate of pay for off-the-street Helpers is $8.50 pretty much nation wide.

Inside workers are usually paid a little more when they function as Helpers. Same for Drivers. They're usually paid their Driver wages when they function as Helpers. Our inside workers get paid $14.45 this year and are guaranteed 8 combined with their primary duties. This is per a letter of understanding in our local sort rider. Also, Drivers will always be worked before inside workers and off-the-street hires. But that's here. Where you are may be different.

Your Supplemental agreements and sort riders should spell out the rules and rates where you are. No matter how weak or strong your leadership is, you are entitled to a copy of the contract, or at least access to one. You can find a copy of the Master on this site... Look at the newbie sticky, post #19 by DILLIGAF for instance. Also look for "job seniority and reassignment" in your Local contract. A lot of this depends on your local. I could be wrong, but what I do know is that a 4 year Seniority Driver getting paid $8.50 is getting hosed.

If you have been running and gunning since 2006, you will hit the wall this summer or next... :)

good luck

Last edited:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Most laid off drivers may already know this since there is a fair amount of unemployment bennies to be had during long layoff spells, but you can usually qualify for unemployment when you have your hours and/or wage rate cut. Our 22.3 guy here discovered this when he got reassigned to inside.
Of course is you get your reg driver rate for helper time, as they do here, this is not necessary. But if you are making 8.50 for being a driver working as a helper, definitely apply for those bennies!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sounds like the high driver top scale pay rate is finally pricing you guys out of the market. You really can't blame UPS.

There is some truth behind your sarcasm. I have found it more difficult to secure new volume as our price point hinders our ability to be competitive with FedEx (package) and our freight competitors. For example, I deliver and pickup from our local college bookstore and was trying to get their text book returns (3100 lbs). We put a bid in and were underbid by 1/2 by A. Duie Pyle, a LTL company.

I think this, along with a number of other economic issues, will be addressed in 2013, and not in the manner most of us are used to.

Well it's grievance time. They dropped it to $8.50 I'm in total shock.
If there is enough volume to use helpers. How come we have any laid off drivers to begin with?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If there is enough volume to use helpers. How come we have any laid off drivers to begin with?

It is much cheaper to put more work on the cars and pay a helper $8.50/hr than it is to put a run on, pay driver wage and the costs of putting the vehicle on the road.

UPSSOCKS

I see your back with nothing to do Socks!!!

I've been extremely busy at the hub. We are trying to cut back to make up for all the unproductive, worthless teamsters. Working on eliminating pickoff positions, and cutting loads. I've eliminated about seven pickoff positions and with the help of a little load quality I might have cut ten loads this week.

grgrcr88

I've been extremely busy at the hub. We are trying to cut back to make up for all the unproductive, worthless teamsters. Working on eliminating pickoff positions, and cutting loads. I've eliminated about seven pickoff positions and with the help of a little load quality I might have cut ten loads this week.

Thats fantastic buddy, maybe you can get a raise now!!!

grgrcr88

Any drivers being used for helpers should be getting normal driver rate, You are also guaranteed 8hrs because you are doing driver duties