laid off?

matter

Hello, I am new to the web site just started at UPS about a month ago.

Today I was informed that the center I worked at would pick up three people that were in school. This came as a shock to me, take into account five other people where hired right after me. I felt like the supervisor was out to get rid of me from the day I started.( I could elaborate...)I was thinking with peek season starting in the matter of days this would be a 180 from what they would be doing.

When I came home I called the woman from HR who hired me, I m not sure what to do. I figured a post on here could give me some insight as to my next move. Thanks

UPSGUY72

Hello, I am new to the web site just started at UPS about a month ago.

Today I was informed that the center I worked at would pick up three people that were in school. This came as a shock to me, take into account five other people where hired right after me. I felt like the supervisor was out to get rid of me from the day I started.( I could elaborate...)I was thinking with peek season starting in the matter of days this would be a 180 from what they would be doing.

When I came home I called the woman from HR who hired me, I m not sure what to do. I figured a post on here could give me some insight as to my next move. Thanks

Did they say your were laid off ??

Did you make your 30 days? Doesn't sound like it.

From the little information that you provided it sounds like they let you go becasue things didn't work out. Stop crying over spilled milk and go find another job.

matter

I was told, by a supervisor, that three people were returning from school they needed spots. My spot would be one of them and I was to be laid off.
My 30 days is today. I didnt work at the same speed as everyone else when I started but after my second week I was moving at the same speed as everyone else.

UPSGUY72

I was told, by a supervisor, that three people were returning from school they needed spots. My spot would be one of them and I was to be laid off.
My 30 days is today. I didnt work at the same speed as everyone else when I started but after my second week I was moving at the same speed as everyone else.

In your area is your probation period 30 working days or just 30 days if it's 30 working days that is 6 weeks. You need to make sure you made your 30 days if not you have no rights.

What do you by "returning from school". I'm confused if they are educational tranfers there has to be a spot open for them ( without bumping someone). They can't lay someone off to make room for and educational transfer. If that is a case and you have made you 30 days I would get a hold of your Business Agent ( not your steward ) and let them know what going on.

matter

My first day was 8/11/10 (safty training), frist real day of work begain on 8/16/10. I was told by the sup that is their reason for laying me off.
I m not sure who the business agent would be could you explain that in alittle more detail for me. Thanks

UPSGUY72

My first day was 8/11/10 (safty training), frist real day of work begain on 8/16/10. I was told by the sup that is their reason for laying me off.
I m not sure who the business agent would be could you explain that in alittle more detail for me. Thanks

Your BA is usually the person incharge of your local or there representive.
You need to contact your local union office. If you don't know the number google your local - - - - and get the number.

matter

Well after a few calls to the HR department I was able to find out it is only for a day. While I m not exactly thrilled about it, it is better then the other outcome. I just don't understand why the sup could not tell me it was only for a day. Thanks for your help I ll make sure to find out that info asap.

UPSGUY72

Well after a few calls to the HR department I was able to find out it is only for a day. While I m not exactly thrilled about it, it is better then the other outcome. I just don't understand why the sup could not tell me it was only for a day. Thanks for your help I ll make sure to find out that info asap.

They can't lay you off before they lay off all the people with less senority before you. Next time they want to lay you off make sure they have laid off everyone below you first no matter what shift they are on. IF they don't they have to pay you for the day.

matter

That was how I assumed the process went, I m just trying to not cause too much trouble until I can join the Union. Until then I m just trying my best to lay low.

Guy Smiley

Collect unemployment. Had a friend who was laid off as a 22.3. He works only 3 hours and collects the rest. UPS called the unemployment office to say he didn't work at UPS. UPS can stoop to all lows but can't beat that one.