Laid Off!

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by funkwithoutjunk, Jan 20, 2016.

1. brownstreak86

brownstreak86 Member

I am a new driver (outside hire), started back in November and after my 9th seasonal position with UPS, I am now a permanent driver. Last week I worked three days, and this week I've only worked one hour so far shuttling air. I wasn't sure what to expect as far as hours worked after peak, but I am getting a little nervous. It could be weeks or months before I work a full 40+ hours a week again. I've made seniority and have over 30 days in. But I've got student loans, rent, and other bills to deal with.
    What have other drivers done to keep afloat during lean times at UPS? I'm looking for other jobs, but to find one with the flexibility I need is difficult. Any ideas? I want to make this work, but I really can't afford to not work for 3 months.

2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Double shift.

3. Box Ox

Box Ox Camacho for President!

Demand your 8 hours working two sorts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Well-Known Member

Go into the building. Or become an Uber driver. We have a guy who drives for FedEx ground on his off days too, but I'm not sure this is a good idea just yet.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Brownslave688

File for unemployment

6. Big Arrow Down...D

Big Arrow Down...D Leave the gun,take the cannoli

I thought he pimped out your sister?

7. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

He should work inside before he can file for UC.

8. Brownslave688

Why?

Probably make more on unemployment

9. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

That doesn't matter. UPS can still offer you something to do. They can deny your UC claim for that exact reason. Just because you're a driver doesn't mean you are always guaranteed work as a driver.

10. Brownslave688

They aren't offering him any work though. Just telling him he's laid off

11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

If he is not offered work on the inside he should file. If he is only offered 4 hours per day he should file.

12. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Well-Known Member

He said he needed to MAKE money, no one would pay for that shatner

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

Our laid off drivers make the same rate inside, when laid off post-peak. Perhaps try calling your local union hall.

14. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

Not in the Central.

You can elect to take a layoff instead of bumping 1 or 2 part timers and you would be considered laid off for the purposes of unemployment.

15. Brownslave688

I'm in the central. I knew there was a reason I had heard just take unemployment.

16. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Well-Known Member

live with a big girl

17. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

Article 3

Section 6

If a laid-off, fulltime employee elects to take a layoff rather than exercise his/her
    right to displace a part-time employee, he/she shall be considered a laid-off employee for lack of work for the purpose of unemployment compensation.

18. Clock Sucker

Clock Sucker I handle a lot of packages

Collect unemployment? We had one guy start his 30 days last Monday and hasn't drove a single day yet. I'm worried for him :sad:

19. Brownslave688

Don't know why they'd start guys now. It'll be may before they drive.

20. Clock Sucker

Clock Sucker I handle a lot of packages

I know. Not only did they start him now when there are 2 other drivers already being laid off most the week. But he plans on putting on 2 more drivers by the end of the summer? Aint no way they are all going to qualify unless a lot of drivers take unpaid days off