Lap tops

City Driver

i dont know anything about computers so i cant be completely sure, but it seems like a brand new $330 laptop would be something 1 month later youd be sitting there staring at a blue screen thinking "momma always said you get what you pay for"

theres certain things i prefer to pay a higher price for because the quality is more likely to be better...tattoos, computers and vehicles

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Theres certain things i prefer to pay a higher price for because the quality is more likely to be better...tattoos, computers, companionship and vehicles.

Fixed it for you, CD.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
i dont know anything about computers so i cant be completely sure, but it seems like a brand new $330 laptop would be something 1 month later youd be sitting there staring at a blue screen thinking "momma always said you get what you pay for"

theres certain things i prefer to pay a higher price for because the quality is more likely to be better...tattoos, computers and vehicles
LMAO I see Dizzee has been at it again. That is funny.

Hey pal, quit pissin in BC, keep it in the parking lot. :happy-very::wink2:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Eh, I tend to disagree. With computers more money generally equals more features/processing power, not more reliability. I haven't seen any reports about Compaq's blue screening at a higher rate than any other brand. If a $330 laptop does everything you need it for, why pay more? The ones Klein listed are fine if you just want to web surf, email, and read and write documents, and both scored pretty high in the customer reviews. You won't be playing Crysis or doing high end CAD work, but I'm guessing that's not what 705 had in mind.

klein

Für Meno :)
Eh, I tend to disagree. With computers more money generally equals more features/processing power, not more reliability. I haven't seen any reports about Compaq's blue screening at a higher rate than any other brand. If a $330 laptop does everything you need it for, why pay more? The ones Klein listed are fine if you just want to web surf, email, and read and write documents, and both scored pretty high in the customer reviews. You won't be playing Crysis or doing high end CAD work, but I'm guessing that's not what 705 had in mind.

Yup, I paid $600 for mine 2 years ago, has actually less gegeabytes then the one for $329.00
But, prices have gone down, and always more gigabytes and ram added.
Has a full 1 yr warranty, you can't go wrong.
I'm not a videogame player. I'm sure it would handle a few games, but not dozens of them.
Love my compaq, and will buy another one, when this one dies .
Mine came from bestbuy, too.
Excellent keyboard outlay, too.
And yes, read the reviews on those 2 links.. really good, and well recommended.

PS: I did add another gigabyte, not that I needed it, but got kind of talked into it, was like only $50. (now I have 2, instead of 1). Same as the 329.00 one has.
You can watch movies, shows, etc on it, too, np.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Depends on what you want to use it for.

If all you want is to surf the 'net and do email and that sort of thing, the new netbooks ($250-$400) are things of beauty: fast enough, less than 3 lbs, wireless built in. I am partial to the Toshiba NB-200 model that came out about 6 weeks ago, $400 at Best Buy, Costco, Office Depot, etc. Great battery life, too.

PC Magazine, PC World, and so on all have reviews of the latest and greatest.

(My 100th post! Whooo Hoooo!)

If you are going to be hauling it around, particularly through airports, netbook is the way to go, and there are at least 6 or 7 different models out there that would satisfy you. Acer, Asus, Dell, and Toshiba are the big names.

klein

Congrats Tech ! And yes, no reason to spend a lot of money on laptops, they outdate within the yr anyways. Depreciation is humageos.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'll give another plug for netbooks, we've got an Asus 1000HA at the jones residence. Very capable and perfect for taking on a cruise ship :happy2:

wkmac

Mixed emotions on Dell. Bought a laptop from them a couple of years back and had blue screen issues. Going back and forth over the phone with their helpdesk, doing this, that and the other and just never could get them to let me send it back and have them take a look. Just finally gave up, took it locally and got problem resolved out of my own pocket.

We use Dell's at work to drive our conveyor systems and they work great but I was just one of those cases that it didn't work for me. I won't say I'll never buy another Dell but I'm not sure I'll be so quick to buy something like that again over the internet. I'll buy something like that from a brick and mortar so at least I'll have someone's face I can get into.
:wink2:

I've no doubt that get enough people in the room and you'll hear bad stories about any make so there you go!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Mixed emotions on Dell. Bought a laptop from them a couple of years back and had blue screen issues. Going back and forth over the phone with their helpdesk, doing this, that and the other and just never could get them to let me send it back and have them take a look. Just finally gave up, took it locally and got problem resolved out of my own pocket.

We use Dell's at work to drive our conveyor systems and they work great but I was just one of those cases that it didn't work for me. I won't say I'll never buy another Dell but I'm not sure I'll be so quick to buy something like that again over the internet. I'll buy something like that from a brick and mortar so at least I'll have someone's face I can get into.
:wink2:

I've no doubt that get enough people in the room and you'll hear bad stories about any make so there you go!
I've actually never owned a dell, I always post that link though because they've got some pretty sweet deals at their outlet store. It sounds like you just got a bad part, it happens. I build my own comps and there is always the chance that I'll get a motherboard with a bad capacitor or something. I'll just RMA it and get another one of the exact same model. Dells are generally pretty reliable, they didn't get to where they are by selling lousy products, but I'll grant you that their customer service absolutely sucks when there is a problem. All the computer makers tightened up after the dot.com bust and customer service was the first thing to go.

wkmac

Not so much anymore. Except for games, regular apps don't stress the hardware. Certainly surfing the net and doing email doesn't, and that is a lot of what people do with them these days.

I understand but my comment was more out of fun than actual truth. I've always experienced a kind of running joke from about all concerned when it comes to buying electronic, especially computers, as everything changes so fast. Thus again the reason for the humor at large.

I'll try next time to make the :happy-very: a lot

Wal-Mart-vrea-sa-puna-mana-pe-smiley-face-2.jpg

in the hopes you'll understand!

2578417595_c0327a9bf3.jpg

705red

Browncafe Steward
I haven't checked back here for a few days, but in doing some research and the help of my father in law i bought a Compaq.

It is the best buy for the money. I don't need anything fancy, browse the Internet, spread sheets and Microsoft word. Not a big computer gamer and for the money it also plays dvd's.

klein

I haven't checked back here for a few days, but in doing some research and the help of my father in law i bought a Compaq.

It is the best buy for the money. I don't need anything fancy, browse the Internet, spread sheets and Microsoft word. Not a big computer gamer and for the money it also plays dvd's.

congrats red ! Bestbuy is a good buy ! Not sure about the AMD processor though, I do prefer Intel.
But, you got a darn good deal !
It'll work awesome for you, better then your old deskstop, most likely.