Laptops and Airport Security

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a quick question that I hope someone here can answer. I am going to visit my daughter in North Carolina next week and will be bringing my laptop with me (I wouldn't want you guys to miss me for a whole week!). Anyway, what is the procedure at airport security for laptops? Do I have to put it through the X-ray machine or do I open it and hand it to one of the TSA employees? I have heard that you shouldn't put laptops through the X-ray as it could erase the hard drive but that may have been with the older machines. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks. Dave.

mountaingoat

The official procedure is remove laptop from case, place it by itself in a separate bin, and send it through the x-ray machine. Done.

It used to be that you had to boot it up, but with trips that I have taken in the last two years, they don't even ask anymore.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
The official procedure is remove laptop from case, place it by itself in a separate bin, and send it through the x-ray machine. Done.

It used to be that you had to boot it up, but with trips that I have taken in the last two years, they don't even ask anymore.

That's what I've seen too.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I have a quick question that I hope someone here can answer. I am going to visit my daughter in North Carolina next week and will be bringing my laptop with me (I wouldn't want you guys to miss me for a whole week!). Anyway, what is the procedure at airport security for laptops? Do I have to put it through the X-ray machine or do I open it and hand it to one of the TSA employees? I have heard that you shouldn't put laptops through the X-ray as it could erase the hard drive but that may have been with the older machines. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks. Dave.

Isn't it to early to golf in North Carolina? I don't blame you for taking a week from the weather in New York & the "Brown grind".

Have fun!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When we flew to Puerto Vallarta last I seem to remember seeing the same thing. Put it in a bin without the case. You can get on your airlines website and check it out. TSA has their own website as well with tons of info.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Thanks--now, what about the hard drive? Does the machine have any effect on the hard drive?

No problems with xrays and hard drives. I have heard of concerns with camera film, but I never had any problems back when I used to travel with a 35MM. No problems with digital cameras either.

Its been a year since I have flown, back then they made us take our shoes off going through security, so wear some good socks!

rod

Retired 22 years
They still make you take your shoes off but there wasn't any problem getting my Insta -Matic with flash cubes through :peaceful:

browndevil

They still make you take your shoes off but there wasn't any problem getting my Insta -Matic with flash cubes through :peaceful:
I am old enough to know what that is:biting: But I am surprised TSA allowed that through and did not think it was some explosive device

Last edited: