LASIK

ScubaEx

anyone ever try to go through the insurance. I thought I read that we aren't able to get coverage for this. Just wondering.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
They don't cover it. Davis Vision is such a huge joke, I hate them...I'm always searching for a new optometrist/optician because nobody wants to partner with them for very long. I'm seriously thinking of dropping my eyecare coverage completely and just paying out of pocket whenever I need optical services.

!Retired!

It has nothing to do with DavisVision. Lasik is elective, I have never heard of any insurance company covering it. I had Lasik back in 2004 and my wife had it last year. We both paid out of pocket for it. Neither one of us regrets it for a second.

whenIgetthere

It has nothing to do with DavisVision. Lasik is elective, I have never heard of any insurance company covering it. I had Lasik back in 2004 and my wife had it last year. We both paid out of pocket for it. Neither one of us regrets it for a second.

My wife had it, too, and we paid out of pocket. BUT, DavisVision still sucks!

Route 66

I had RK (pre-cursor to LASIK) and it was well worth the $ for me too...many years I went corrective lens-free. It was great. Unfortunately it still doesn't stave off the ravages of time and I'm back to correctives again.

and yes, Davis Vision still sucks!

Route 66

initially it was reading glasses, but now it's progressive lenses. I can't see things near and I can't see things far - but things in mid-range are fine. It just really sucks moving into old geezer-hood.

vantexan

initially it was reading glasses, but now it's progressive lenses. I can't see things near and I can't see things far - but things in mid-range are fine. It just really sucks moving into old geezer-hood.

Single truest statement ever made here. All these young firebrands will get it one of these days. Hard to get excited about a union when you feel yourself falling apart.

SmithBarney

Sounds like Driving a commercial vehicle is just the job for you... oh boy! Us Baby boomers it's time to hang up the keys(if you can find the hook)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I had RK (pre-cursor to LASIK) and it was well worth the $ for me too...many years I went corrective lens-free. It was great. Unfortunately it still doesn't stave off the ravages of time and I'm back to correctives again.

and yes, Davis Vision still sucks!

Davis is so bad that the majority of providers won't accept it. I had one optometrist tell me he was only accepting it for a year in order to build his practice. Worst coverage out there.

Route 66

Davis is so bad that the majority of providers won't accept it. I had one optometrist tell me he was only accepting it for a year in order to build his practice. Worst coverage out there.
yep, and for those few providers who do accept it, ya always feel like it's some dirty little secret. "oh you can't have any of these nice frames you see out on display here" they say, and then they motion you over to a secluded dimly lit corner where they open up a bottom drawer and in a low whisper say "here's the DavisVision crap - knock yourself out, fool"...The selection is always so horrid that I always opt for the store frames and use the $125 credit or whatever it is we get towards them.

​Nothing but the best!

whenIgetthere

Last time I had my eyes checked last year, the doctor told me that I should just buy the cheaters from the pharmacy, because they're a lot better than anything DavisVision will pay for!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

yep, and for those few providers who do accept it, ya always feel like it's some dirty little secret. "oh you can't have any of these nice frames you see out on display here" they say, and then they motion you over to a secluded dimly lit corner where they open up a bottom drawer and in a low whisper say "here's the DavisVision crap - knock yourself out, fool"...The selection is always so horrid that I always opt for the store frames and use the $125 credit or whatever it is we get towards them.

​Nothing but the best!

My daughter referred to the Davis frame selection as the "welfare rack".

Route 66

My daughter referred to the Davis frame selection as the "welfare rack".
and spot-on accurate she is too, as that's exactly how I feel about it...I find myself looking down at the floor and whispering "Davis Vision" whenever I'm asked who my insurance is with. They always seem to be trying desperately to stifle an eyeroll and a sneer. It's so obvious no one wants to deal with them.