Last Man Standing

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I heard today that Fedex is not letting their drivers (and I assume this means the ground drivers) work overtime. I heard that if they don't get it done then it gets brought back. This is supposed to have come from a Fedex driver.

I heard today that Fedex is not letting their drivers (and I assume this means the ground drivers) work overtime. I heard that if they don't get it done then it gets brought back. This is supposed to have come from a Fedex driver.
Why would they care how long a ground driver works? They don't get paid by the hour.

barnyard

KTM rider

That had to have been an an Express driver. The Express driver on my route said the same thing. He also does not break trace for air. Everything is delivered 'on route.'

TB

pretzel_man

They have not tightened their belts in our center. I deliver a Rural RT and ever since pass was put in my NDA commit extended to my area out of City Limits. All NDA off by noon. This impossible to achieve. I run all over like a chicken with his head cut off adding huge miles to my Route. They also send an Air driver out to make the ones I cant. This cost is enormous and we are losing big dollars on these deliveries. I deliver a valley thats a dead end road so its not like I can give stop to a driver going thru.
The last 2 days they called an air driver in to deliver 1 stop 40 miles from our center.
What is the company thinking???? Other drivers have this problem to in our center.
We are only a 12 RT center in the middle of nowhere.

There is a conference call for Region / District managers next week. There are a lot of cost cutting and growth initiatives right now.

I'm betting you'll see more and more. We will do more special services for customers to get their volume, and cut every but of excess.

P-Man

feeder53

ADKtrails
I would hope that MGMT has a clear picture of the road ahead, the history behind and the future of UPS. These trying times are the best battlefield for the veterans, they know most of the moves. The key is paying attention and everyone keeping their AO up to spead. I think WE can pull ahead...

I have never had a problem having time to get sales leads because I don't spend time BSing at every stop.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I believe we, as UPS employees are all part of this action and we all should do our part to the best of our ability. MGMT I would hope is already in the war room and looking at strategy.........I hope

New Englander

FedEx is absolutely not going to go anywhere. They have absolutely awsome name brand recognition.

If people say they need to get something delivered overnight they say "There going to FedEx it."

UPS does not have that type of recognition with our services.

What I honestly think will eventually happen is that they will merge in one way or form. Really makes little sense to keep Express around if FDX can find away to implement it into their ground service and their contractors.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen

What I honestly think will eventually happen is that they will merge in one way or form. Really makes little sense to keep Express around if FDX can find away to implement it into their ground service and their contractors...

FEDUPs ?

Can't see it happening soon - one pro union, one doing everything possible to avoid union.

Last edited:

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
There is a conference call for Region / District managers next week. There are a lot of cost cutting and growth initiatives right now.

I'm betting you'll see more and more. We will do more special services for customers to get their volume, and cut every but of excess.

P-Man

I GUARANTEE they will NOT do more to get service to customers, that would eat into the center's numbers.

outamyway

I GUARANTEE they will NOT do more to get service to customers, that would eat into the center's numbers.

Especially if route cutting is involved. More work with fewer workers is not going to help customer relations.

Man that was a great quote:
Too many chiefs, not enough indians

Our center has two main belts. One of our other belts is half of another centers(lots of brown sides, so we keep them on the outside) The two main belts have 5 supervisor's(4 part time and one preload sup) I think there's maybe 16 to 18 preloaders for both belts. I guess there's a part time sup for each side of each belt. How many do we need?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Absolutely IF anything were to happen FDX in my opinion would try to merge their parts and go the owner operator route.

I personally know 3-4 of the Fed Ex Express drivers here and can safely say that none of them would go the owner operator route, knowing what they know about their poor step-children at Fed Ex Ground. Also, the prospect of Fed Ex scrapping a business plan that works (Express) for one that has clearly been (and will continue to be) an issue for them (Ground) just does not make sense to me.

That being said, any merger of these 2 entities could pose a real challenge to us and to our way of doing business, especially in light of our lack of focus on customer service.

New Englander

Litigation aside and with fuel prices. I'm going to bet FDX likes the ground plan more then the Express.

Obviously few Express drivers would want to switch - I don't think they'd have much of an option if it were to ever happen.

As you said - if they ever were to merge. We'd be in for a big battle.