Late Freight day

bbsam

Staff member
That is too hard for these ground gummy's to understand. They think EVERY station gets an airplane and we sit directly on the ramp. Nevermind all it takes is any kind of delay in Memphis and it can impact a vast majority of smaller market stations.
Then once the aircraft arrives at the ramp there is unloading, mini-sorts, truck loads, etc etc. On top of that trucking the freight to stations not located at the ramp. Can go on and on but for the sake of not confusing anyone probably best to stop at that. ;)

Don't blame us for your crappy processes and procedures.

MAKAVELI

That is too hard for these ground gummy's to understand. They think EVERY station gets an airplane and we sit directly on the ramp. Nevermind all it takes is any kind of delay in Memphis and it can impact a vast majority of smaller market stations.
Then once the aircraft arrives at the ramp there is unloading, mini-sorts, truck loads, etc etc. On top of that trucking the freight to stations not located at the ramp. Can go on and on but for the sake of not confusing anyone probably best to stop at that. ;)

Do you really think this would change if they used contractors?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No. I think the use of planes puts too much at risk with too many variables for time sensitive shipments.

Oh, OK. Your suggestion would be that we put all of the freight on trucks? How does that work when an overnight shipment goes from LA to NY? It doesn't. Planes are a necessary component, as are trucks, because most stations can't justify their own aircraft. That means trucking if it's within a radius where service can be preserved.

You Ground folks really do not understand how Express works. This is evidently why Ground thinks that they can transpose their model onto Express and make it "work". You know, truck everything, and then straightline deliveries and only accept next-day on-calls. Wow, sounds just like our Express operation.

bbsam

Staff member
No. I think with warehousing and communications technology the demand for Express has greatly diminished. That combined with a failure rate will further diminish demand. People are going to simply be more conscious of their inventory and plan accordingly.

StuffItFred

I don't see anywhere where I blamed ground for "our crappy processes and procedures." What is your solution?

I would love to get my truck loaded with freight and not have to worry about customers, commitment times, on-call pickups with short windows, etc, etc. Assuming our freight arrives on time from the ramp amd MEM. Yeah, as I stated I didn't expect you knuckle head ground junkies to understand.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No. I think with warehousing and communications technology the demand for Express has greatly diminished. That combined with a failure rate will further diminish demand. People are going to simply be more conscious of their inventory and plan accordingly.

You talk as though this has become a "surface transportation" world. While diminished, the overnight sector is still viable, especially when most companies aren't like Amazon, which can afford to have distribution centers strategically placed all around the country. Simply put, there are a lot of products which require overnight service. Even with crappy Express service levels and dysfunctional management, most of the time the package gets there on-time. That won't stop Fred from selling everyone possible on the idea that Ground is the right shipping choice.

bbsam

Staff member
But customers will continue to wonder why they pay $150 for overnight service only to have any myriad of excuses of why they failed to get the service and why they can't have a refund.

MAKAVELI

But customers will continue to wonder why they pay $150 for overnight service only to have any myriad of excuses of why they failed to get the service and why they can't have a refund.
Ground has many of the same issues with service. We cannot control the weather which is the main cause of late planes. I guess you think trucks can drive through tornadoes, thunderstorms, iced roads, blizzards, etc.

StuffItFred

Ground has many of the same issues with service. We cannot control the weather which is the main cause of late planes. I guess you think trucks can drive through tornadoes, thunderstorms, iced roads, blizzards, etc.

He probably doesn't think they can. But rather expects his $10/hr drivers to do so. All to line his pockets just as Fecal Fred does. Scum....period

bbsam

Staff member

I'm in the Midwest. We drive through that stuff all the time.

MAKAVELI

Driving on icy roads, through snow, delivering packages to unplowed, unshoveled driveways and steps .. that's a normal 4 months here ..
I'm talking about the tractor trailers. I know you get a lot of snow in Maine. But it ain't the same as climbing a mountain pass over 7,000 feet in an area of the Sierra that can see 8 - 10 feet of snow in a couple of days.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm talking about the tractor trailers. I know you get a lot of snow in Maine, But it ain't the same as climbing a mountain pass over 7,000 feet in an area of the Sierra that can see 8 - 10 feet of snow in a couple of days.

Donner Pass will close for a couple days or a week at a time, especially to trucks. I guess Ground charters giant fleets of helicopters to fly their trailers to the sort centers. It's always amazing to have someone from the East Coast see real mountains for the first time.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well we do. Sorry if you have a hard time with facts. In 19 years we have been snowed out exactly once.

That's because it's flat as a pancake where you live...kind of like the top of the average Ground driver's head. I'll make it real simple for you: "If the airplane cannot land, there is no freight". How high is the summit of Mt. Quad Cities? 250', or is it 150'? Out west, they have mountain passes that are at 12,000 feet, which usually close by October. Donner Pass is at 7,500 feet, and it snows sometimes in June to the point where you need to hang iron.

MaineGroundDriver

Donner Pass will close for a couple days or a week at a time, especially to trucks. I guess Ground charters giant fleets of helicopters to fly their trailers to the sort centers. It's always amazing to have someone from the East Coast see real mountains for the first time.

Yes, I know .. I've been to Mt Rainier, flown over the Rockies, been to the Grand Canyon, etc .. I know what's out west .. we aren't exactly FLAT land over here either, but obviously nothing like that ..

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yes, I know .. I've been to Mt Rainier, flown over the Rockies, been to the Grand Canyon, etc .. I know what's out west .. we aren't exactly FLAT land over here either, but obviously nothing like that ..

We know you get a lot of snow and that Maine isn't flat. Iowans and Kansans also get a lot of snow and cold, but it's really flat, and driving on ice and snow that's level is a lot easier than driving on ice and snow that is steeply angled up or down. I invite any of you to drive an 18-wheeler up Donner when the weather is really bad. Coming down is actually worse. Very high pucker factor.