Late night deliveries

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Making deliveries at 10:20 or even 9:00 would be completely unheard of at my center. Is this something fairly widespread???
In previous years during peak it was very common to be out until your DOT hours ran out so yes. Other times of the year when routes are slashed it's very common for those not on the 9.5 list to be out late.

Indecisi0n

We deliver up until 10:30 at my center. I use to be the guy that said "I don't ring/knock after 8:00pm". I did this because I feel it's common sense. You don't want to wake sleeping children and babies that have to be up/in school the next morning. Then I remembered I don't get paid to use common sense. Now I ring bells and wake people up all times of the night. I figure I can't get in trouble for knocking but I can if I don't and they complain. Again, not my problem.

10 point

We deliver up until 10:30 at my center. I use to be the guy that said "I don't ring/knock after 8:00pm". I did this because I feel it's common sense. You don't want to wake sleeping children and babies that have to be up/in school the next morning. Then I remembered I don't get paid to use common sense. Now I ring bells and wake people up all times of the night. I figure I can't get in trouble for knocking but I can if I don't and they complain. Again, not my problem.
Don't you appreciate the method of yelling "ups!" on someone's porch after dark?

It sounds a lot like "police!" and that brings a response that only a coroner would love.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I saved my lunch until End of Day and took it from 2100-2200 to avoid knocking on doors after 2100. it worked well for me,and gave e an extra hour of Daylight to deliver

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm not going to ring the bell and wake people up at all hours of the night. Nor will I sneak on their porch and leave the package without knocking. At around 9:00 I am going to scan their packages as "missed" so that (a) they can get a refund for the service they paid for and didn't get and (b) the management who put me in the position of being out that late is held accountable for their poor decision making.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I'm not going to ring the bell and wake people up at all hours of the night. Nor will I sneak on their porch and leave the package without knocking. At around 9:00 I am going to scan their packages as "missed" so that (a) they can get a refund for the service they paid for and didn't get and (b) the management who put me in the position of being out that late is held accountable for their poor decision making.
Sounds good , till u do it and get fired, and spend 4 months unpaid at home with wife and kids wondering how will eat...... Sad, but true.

soberups

Wtf. New Year's Eve?????? That's a paid ups holiday. Lmfao. U diddnt even have to come in that day!!!!!!
During the last 2 weeks of peak season in 2008 we got hammered with the heaviest snowfall our area had ever gotten in recorded history, with totals equal to what we get in an entire decade. By Christmas Day we had tens of thousands of missed stops piled up in trailers that were being left in the employee parking lot because there was nowhere else on the property to park them. The snow didn't start melting until the 28th, and on New Years Day every driver in the building was required to report for work and we were all out until the middle of the night getting the mess cleaned up. We even had 30 drivers from other buildings show up in package cars after we had all left so that preload could run a "B" sort for the volume that wouldn't contain in our cars. In that case, I was willing to deliver that late was because the stops I had were for in town, it was New Years Eve when everyone was still awake anyway, and management was doing everything they could realistically do in order to make service on the backlog.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Anyone who is not happy with us delivering late is more than welcome to call the 1-800 number and voice thier concern. You as an employee are a tool of the company to perform a service, if that service isn't violating any safety protocols, you are expected to perform them. Stop thinking about what's right and wrong in your own perfect delivery world, if the marketplace deems it's too late to deliver, they will let the company know, one way or the other.

The market spoke about the service failures of last year, the company reacted.

CHALLY9TX

If its not appropriate to knock on the door, its not appropriate to make the delivery in the first place.

Imagine that you were a customer who paid extra money for 2nd Day Air delivery of an important package. How would you feel about "service" that consisted of a delivery person sneaking up on your porch at 10:30 at night, after you were in bed, and leaving a package (without knocking) that you wouldn't find until the following morning? Would you feel like you got the service you had paid for?

So it's better service to not deliver their pkg?

On what contractual grounds would I be fired?

They could certainly give me a warning letter, but missing stops is not a terminable offense.

They can fire you for defrauding the company.

soberups

So it's better service to not deliver their pkg?
Sneaking onto the porch at 10:30 at night when the customer has already gone to bed without getting their package.... and then leaving the package without knocking..... isn't "service" at all. It is defrauding the customer out of the refund that they are entitled to by preventing that package from showing up as "missed" on the report like it ought to be.

soberups

They can fire you for defrauding the company.

1. How does accurately recording a package as "missed" constitute defrauding the company?
2. Under what specific contractual language is the company entitled to fire a driver for missing a package without first issuing a warning letter per progressive discipline?

soberups

Anyone who is not happy with us delivering late is more than welcome to call the 1-800 number and voice thier concern. You as an employee are a tool of the company to perform a service, if that service isn't violating any safety protocols, you are expected to perform them. Stop thinking about what's right and wrong in your own perfect delivery world, if the marketplace deems it's too late to deliver, they will let the company know, one way or the other.

The market spoke about the service failures of last year, the company reacted.

We are (supposedly at least) expected to walk off residential driveways in order to avoid showing up on Telematics.

In what other occupation is it the stated expectation and policy for employees to walk up residential driveways and onto private property at 9:00 or 10:00 PM, or even later, in the dark, out of sight of the vehicle, and without the homeowner's prior knowledge and consent?

Is this acceptable? Is this appropriate? Is this safe?

soberups

Lets say you got home on a work night and called Domino's at 6:00 PM to get a pizza delivered to your house.

Lets say you paid for that pizza over the phone with your credit card.

Then lets say you waited hours and hours for that pizza, but it never showed up and when you kept calling Domino's to ask about it the only thing they could tell you was that "it was out for delivery".

So would it be "good service" if the Domino's guy pounded on your door at 11:00 and woke you up to give you the pizza after you had already given up on him, eaten a can of soup, and gone to bed?

Or even worse...what if you were leaving for work the next morning and found a cold, greasy pizza sitting there that the delivery guy had snuck onto your porch and left without knocking? Would that be "good service"?

How would you feel if you tried to get a refund on that pizza you ordered, only to be told that you weren't eligible for one since the delivery records showed your pizza had in fact been "delivered" on the day it was supposed to be?

Sorry...I'm not going to screw my customers over in order to hide missed packages and make my manager look better on a report.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Normally I have to get a signature for anything alcoholic(what a pain in the ass that is). I'm sure these people that sign up for the wine of the month club didn't realize what a PITA it would be for them either as they have to be home to sign for it. Perhaps that's why he knocked. As for being out at 10:20? Absurd.

I have a doctor on my area who received a wine of the month club membership as a gift set up for delivery to his home. The only problem is that he is never there. We would make the 3 attempts and then put it on will call. I would then take care of him by bringing the wine to his office. We eventually got his office manager to change the delivery address to his office.