Late night deliveries

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
If you worked over 8 why does code 5 or code 6 even matter? Regardless you get paid for actual time. I was code 6 every day in Dec and never took an unpaid lunch period.
I may have misunderstood your point ,so here is what I did during peak. I recorded an hour lunch when I took it at the end of day end of day . In my Division if you take a Code 6 that means an hour lunch is deducted whether a lunch was taken or not. Seeing as I am my own favorite charity no way in hell was I giving away an hours OT,and as I stated earlier if management thinks you arent taking a full lunch you get an extra hours work ,and I'm not a big fan of that either. I wasnt crazy about sitting in Waffle House that late eating supper but peak dosent last forever

AKCoverMan

In my Division if you take a Code 6 that means an hour lunch is deducted whether a lunch was taken or not.

Ok we have found the issue. Here they only take a lunch out if you punch one in. What you have is just weird. I bet your state wage and hour people would love that.

So if you didn't punch a lunch and went code 5 and just went home an hour earlier you believe the next day you would have an hour longer paid day dispatch?

In ten years I have never seen that happen.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
So if you didn't punch a lunch and went code 5 and just went home an hour earlier you believe the next day you would have an hour longer paid day dispatch?

count yourself lucky, its a VERY common practice in my building

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Sad thing is that if CNN had an expose on this, the driver would be found in fault. Driver should have DR'd the package and not announced the delivery. We all know that is total BS but UPS Legal would find a way.. They always do.
Yes, you're probably right but let's just imagine for an instant that the media did do a story on us being out so late, leaving packages in the middle of the night, waking up entire families and neighborhoods with the loud trucks...

I just wish this would happen and piss the public off enough to create such a media frenzy that UPS would have to listen and take action. Believe me, as a service provider and a citizen, I most certainly do not want someone banging on my door after 8pm nor do I want to be banging on someone's door that late.

OPTION3

Ok we have found the issue. Here they only take a lunch out if you punch one in. What you have is just weird. I bet your state wage and hour people would love that.

HAPPENS without fail in my Building

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Only a wuss makes excuses for not delivering the packages in their truck "because it's dark, and it's late, and my boss is mean." If you are not out of hours, then finish your damn job like a man and be done with it. Ring the doorbell as a courtesy to the customer, so their package isn't left on the porch all night where it can be stolen. If they get their ass in a bind, they can complain to the 800#. It's just a little darkness. Get over the excuses and get the :censored2: done. Work now, grieve after. Sheesh.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Only a wuss makes excuses for not delivering the packages in their truck "because it's dark, and it's late, and my boss is mean." If you are not out of hours, then finish your damn job like a man and be done with it. Ring the doorbell as a courtesy to the customer, so their package isn't left on the porch all night where it can be stolen. If they get their ass in a bind, they can complain to the 800#. It's just a little darkness. Get over the excuses and get the :censored2: done. Work now, grieve after. Sheesh.

Your profile says you are from So Cal. Have you ever done a rural route?

Ever had a gun pulled on you by a scared woman who is alone at home with her kids at 10:00 at night?

Ever been 100 yards from the package car, hiking a stop up to a house, and come face to face with a 90Lb German Shepherd that wanted to chew your nuts off for walking up its driveway on a pitch black night?

Its easy to criticize others when your entire route is paved and there is a street light on every corner.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Yes, you're probably right but let's just imagine for an instant that the media did do a story on us being out so late, leaving packages in the middle of the night, waking up entire families and neighborhoods with the loud trucks...

I just wish this would happen and piss the public off enough to create such a media frenzy that UPS would have to listen and take action. Believe me, as a service provider and a citizen, I most certainly do not want someone banging on my door after 8pm nor do I want to be banging on someone's door that late.
I must respectfully disagree with your guess on the media coverage. They would spin it so it would look like UPS'ers are so dedicated they will stay out as long as it takes to deliver your package. They will interview a "driver" that will spew the brown kool-aid. They will also interview a "customer" that was somewhat surprised over the late hour of their delivery but admires the extent UPS goes to make delivery commitments. Don't forget the comments by some management hack that will deliver the safety disclaimer. I can see it all happening to justify poor planning.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here if you work 8 hours or more they will change the 05 to 06 and take out our 45 minute unpaid meal break.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Your profile says you are from So Cal. Have you ever done a rural route?

Ever had a gun pulled on you by a scared woman who is alone at home with her kids at 10:00 at night?

Ever been 100 yards from the package car, hiking a stop up to a house, and come face to face with a 90Lb German Shepherd that wanted to chew your nuts off for walking up its driveway on a pitch black night?

Its easy to criticize others when your entire route is paved and there is a street light on every corner.
If you were ten or twenty yards from the package car and face to face with a ninety pound dog is there any difference? Most of us can't outrun him anyway? And I didn't know that women with children only got scared and pulled guns in the country.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
If you were ten or twenty yards from the package car and face to face with a ninety pound dog is there any difference? Most of us can't outrun him anyway? And I didn't know that women with children only got scared and pulled guns in the country.
I think we can all agree, whether you are a city, suburban, or country driver, making a delivery at 10:00 pm isn't the safest way to perform our job.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think we can all agree, whether you are a city, suburban, or country driver, making a delivery at 10:00 pm isn't the safest way to perform our job.
Yup, pretty much all that can be said, has been said. In the end it is about your safety. Being a bid driver is much easier. My customers have told me at Christmas, I will leave my porch door unlocked, until 5, after that wait til next day. I try to look for those stops and pull for them early. If I miss one I get there early next day. Mark them ni1too late. Because that's what it was.
I know many of them that lock up at 3. Its not where I want to be after dark anyway,

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yup, pretty much all that can be said, has been said. In the end it is about your safety. Being a bid driver is much easier. My customers have told me at Christmas, I will leave my porch door unlocked, until 5, after that wait til next day. I try to look for those stops and pull for them early. If I miss one I get there early next day. Mark them ni1too late. Because that's what it was.
I know many of them that lock up at 3. Its not where I want to be after dark anyway,

NI1 after 5 is a missed.

10 point

Only a fool isn't concerned in today's world.

To help a customer out I carried cases of Sustacal up a side staircase after dark, on icy steps, and knocked on his apartment door announcing "UPS" one night.

He asked me again "who is it?" I responded "UPS, sir".
He said "just a minute" in a cheerful tone.

When he quickly pulled the door open he also stuck a ten inch knife in my face.

I yelled "What are you doing?!!!".

He said " I never would have expected UPS to be here so late".

I sat his heavy cases of supplement down and vowed to never climb his icy staircase after dark again.

Had that have been a gun instead of a knife it could've been really bad because I only had a four ft square landing to hide and dodge from lead poisoning.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Only a fool isn't concerned in today's world.

To help a customer out I carried cases of Sustacal up a side staircase after dark, on icy steps, and knocked on his apartment door announcing "UPS" one night.

He asked me again "who is it?" I responded "UPS, sir".
He said "just a minute" in a cheerful tone.

When he quickly pulled the door open he also stuck a ten inch knife in my face.

I yelled "What are you doing?!!!".

He said " I never would have expected UPS to be here so late".

I sat his heavy cases of supplement down and vowed to never climb his icy staircase after dark again.

Had that have been a gun instead of a knife it could've been really bad because I only had a four ft square landing to hide and dodge from lead poisoning.

I do hope that your next move was to call 911.

10 point

Let's also remember the postal worker that was shot to death on someone's porch after dark last November and the young girl that got shot to death knocking on a door after dark, asking for help when her car broke down. The homeowner thought she was trying to break in.

People are more often scared today after dark than ever. Many have good reasons to feel that way.

10 point

Also, the Postal Service pulled ALL their carriers off the street at sundown after that carrier was shot to death and the postmaster on my route said that rule is still in effect.

I'm glad someone's looking out for their workers well being.