Latest Flavor of the Month: Send Agains

pretzel_man

The operation will do the job right if it is given the resources it needs.

The operation will do the job right if the expectations placed upon it are realistic.

The operation will do the job right if those who manage it are given the authority to make the necessary decisions.

The operation will do the job right if it is given the resources it needs.

The operation will do the job right if the expectations placed upon it are realistic.

The operation will do the job right if those who manage it are given the authority to make the necessary decisions.

The operation will not do the job right if it is starved of resources, burdened with impossible expectations, and denied the ability to make day-to-day decisions.

The operation will not do the job right if there is no measure of success.

The operation will not do the job right if excuses are accepted.

The process has been the same since I began. Call it MBO, MBC, QIP, BSC, its the same. Its Plan, Do, Check, Act. I've worked in many, many operations in multiple district and regions and the process works.

If its not working where you are, the cause is not the process, its local management....

P-Man

The operation will not do the job right if it is starved of resources, burdened with impossible expectations, and denied the ability to make day-to-day decisions.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The operation will not do the job right if there is no measure of success.

The operation will not do the job right if excuses are accepted.

The process has been the same since I began. Call it MBO, MBC, QIP, BSC, its the same. Its Plan, Do, Check, Act. I've worked in many, many operations in multiple district and regions and the process works.

If its not working where you are, the cause is not the process, its local management....

P-Man

You just made my point for me.

All of the acronyms and processes and theories that seem to work so well from behind a desk in Atlanta dont change the underlying fact....that the metric we are being expected to attain is impossible.

2+2 does not equal 5, no matter how hard Atlanta tries to pretend that it does.

pretzel_man

You just made my point for me.

All of the acronyms and processes and theories that seem to work so well from behind a desk in Atlanta dont change the underlying fact....that the metric we are being expected to attain is impossible.

2+2 does not equal 5, no matter how hard Atlanta tries to pretend that it does.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion...... UPS has been using metrics since the 40's, starting with George Smith. He brought the concept to UPS and became our second CEO. He was hand chosen by Jim Casey.

Metrics is one of the reasons UPS has made it all these years. We measure everything.

I agree that in some cases the metrics are wrong or bad. I also agree that in other cases, the metric may be good but management doesn't know how to achieve it.

I will never agree that we don't need the metric or the accountability that goes along with it. I will not agree that the cause is the process.

I will agree that from the drivers perspective it doesn't matter what the cause is (unskilled management, the metric, the process) the problem is the same.

The process works in most cases. You seem to want to point to the cases where there is a problem and then blame the metric. The result is no accountability which is a worse place to be.

P-Man

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Not sure how you come to that conclusion...... UPS has been using metrics since the 40's, starting with George Smith. He brought the concept to UPS and became our second CEO. He was hand chosen by Jim Casey.

Metrics is one of the reasons UPS has made it all these years. We measure everything.

I agree that in some cases the metrics are wrong or bad. I also agree that in other cases, the metric may be good but management doesn't know how to achieve it.

I will never agree that we don't need the metric or the accountability that goes along with it. I will not agree that the cause is the process.

I will agree that from the drivers perspective it doesn't matter what the cause is (unskilled management, the metric, the process) the problem is the same.

The process works in most cases. You seem to want to point to the cases where there is a problem and then blame the metric. The result is no accountability which is a worse place to be.

P-Man

Lets assume for the sake of argument that 95% of your metrics are accurate.

That would mean that, 5% of the time, the metric is wrong.

Atlanta's "solution" is to deny the problem and continue pretending that the metric is right, even in the face of irrefutable evidence to the contrary. That is no solution at all, and it makes a bad situation even worse.

The "accountability" you speak of is certainly important, but it has to work both ways. Hourlies and front-line management people need to be held accountable to a high standard, but those at the top also need to be held accountable.... for setting expectations that are based on reality, not fantasy.

When the metric is wrong, fix it. Otherwise, there is no accountability at all.

pretzel_man

Lets assume for the sake of argument that 95% of your metrics are accurate.

That would mean that, 5% of the time, the metric is wrong.

Atlanta's "solution" is to deny the problem and continue pretending that the metric is right, even in the face of irrefutable evidence to the contrary. That is no solution at all, and it makes a bad situation even worse.

The "accountability" you speak of is certainly important, but it has to work both ways. Hourlies and front-line management people need to be held accountable to a high standard, but those at the top also need to be held accountable.... for setting expectations that are based on reality, not fantasy.

When the metric is wrong, fix it. Otherwise, there is no accountability at all.

I don't disagree. Not at all. There are metrics that I believe are wrong... I don't know if its 5%, 10%, etc, but I agree that they need to be fixed.

So, you are only complaining about the 5%?

Does that mean that the ones that are right, you agree that local management has to learn what they mean and how to improve them. In those cases the problem is not the process, not the metric, and not fear?

P-Man

tourists24

well all I know is that we have routes cut to make a quota yet still have drivers out til 9:30 at night. No excuse for that no matter what