Latest takeaway

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I don't know about Fedex so I will use UPS as an example. The average Tier 3 accident costs UPS about 50 thousand dollars. Think of the money that a driver will save UPS if he or she is never involved in an accident. How about over a career? The first few years blind luck plays a high percent of a driver's career accident free. Though luck is still a factor, experience is a larger percentage maintaining an accident free year as the years go by.
What I am getting at? If you save a company just a portion of that 50 thousand dollars during the year of driving, then a proper compensation for your safe driving should be more than a simple thanks.
We have drivers that have over 30 years of save driving and you know what they get for their contribution. A piece of paper. Ridiculous!!!!
Their managers are probably the one's reaping the real rewards from that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So rather than accept them in the appreciative manner that they were presented you decided to be an ass by embarrassing your senior in front of your peers? I don't care if you :censored2: canned them while walking to your van-----there was no purpose for what you did other than to embarrass your SM.

What you don't get is that these cheap trinkets are a huge insult. When management gets an award, there is cash involved, but not for us. And when I say cheap, I'm talking something worth literally a dollar or two.

I really don't give a :censored2: if the SM had his feelings hurt. They can keep their trash.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
The latest "award" for 25+ years safe driving is the biggest joke yet. When I received mine I had to double check the date to make sure it wasn't April 1.

It almost makes one want to just go out and crash into something.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What you don't get is that these cheap trinkets are a huge insult. When management gets an award, there is cash involved, but not for us. And when I say cheap, I'm talking something worth literally a dollar or two.

I really don't give a :censored2: if the SM had his feelings hurt. They can keep their trash.

The item is not the point. It could be a stick of gum for all I care.

The point is that you accept the gift, say "thank you", and then shake his/her hand.

What you do with the gift after that is entirely up to you.

That is how a grown up would handle that situation.

whenIgetthere

I don't know about Fedex so I will use UPS as an example. The average Tier 3 accident costs UPS about 50 thousand dollars. Think of the money that a driver will save UPS if he or she is never involved in an accident. How about over a career? The first few years blind luck plays a high percent of a driver's career accident free. Though luck is still a factor, experience is a larger percentage maintaining an accident free year as the years go by.
What I am getting at? If you save a company just a portion of that 50 thousand dollars during the year of driving, then a proper compensation for your safe driving should be more than a simple thanks.
We have drivers that have over 30 years of save driving and you know what they get for their contribution. A piece of paper. Ridiculous!!!!

I just read about an Express driver in NE who just hit 40 years safe driving. Hope they gave him more than a paper BZ!

vantexan

The item is not the point. It could be a stick of gum for all I care.

The point is that you accept the gift, say "thank you", and then shake his/her hand.

What you do with the gift after that is entirely up to you.

That is how a grown up would handle that situation.
The point of these awards is to make us feel like a valued member of the team. If everything else they do makes us feel like interchangeable cogs with little value then the awards are really just tools they use to manipulate us. Sorry if we don't feel like playing along.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The point of these awards is to make us feel like a valued member of the team. If everything else they do makes us feel like interchangeable cogs with little value then the awards are really just tools they use to manipulate us. Sorry if we don't feel like playing along.
Well Dave....if you like being treated like a peon then go for it. I suppose your $35 an hour isn't some kind of tool to manipulate you either.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well Dave....if you like being treated like a peon then go for it. I suppose your $35 an hour isn't some kind of tool to manipulate you either.

You guys just don't get it. It's not about the gift/award. It's about the way that you carry yourself, especially in front of your younger co-workers.

A few months I was recognized for having the fewest number of backs for the previous day. I was given a pair of low cut UPS socks. I don't like the low cut ones but that didn't stop me from shaking my on-car's hand and saying "thank you". I then handed the socks to one of my co-workers who does like wearing the low cut ones.

As I said, I couldn't care less if you tossed the award in to a trash can on your way to your van. I do care that you show your senior the respect that he/she deserves by shaking their hand and saying "thank you".

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You guys just don't get it. It's not about the gift/award. It's about the way that you carry yourself, especially in front of your younger co-workers.

A few months I was recognized for having the fewest number of backs for the previous day. I was given a pair of low cut UPS socks. I don't like the low cut ones but that didn't stop me from shaking my on-car's hand and saying "thank you". I then handed the socks to one of my co-workers who does like wearing the low cut ones.

As I said, I couldn't care less if you tossed the award in to a trash can on your way to your van. I do care that you show your senior the respect that he/she deserves by shaking their hand and saying "thank you".

*polite golf applause*

bacha29

Just as I thought. A company ball s*ck*er

vantexan

If we showed them the "respect they deserved" we'd get fired. As for the younger workers, if FedEx is being truthful then they get to top out much sooner with the new pay plan. What did we get over the last 15 years? Don't compare your experience at UPS with ours. Two different worlds.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If we showed them the "respect they deserved" we'd get fired. As for the younger workers, if FedEx is being truthful then they get to top out much sooner with the new pay plan. What did we get over the last 15 years? Don't compare your experience at UPS with ours. Two different worlds.

UPS and the USAF are not the only two places I have ever worked .

By The Book

I spoke with a 25 year Fedx driver a few days ago. We were talking about pensions and he mentioned he'll get a pension and also a portable pension? He mentioned then newer drivers will only get a portable pension. He was an express driver. Will the younger drivers pension be better than the 25 year drivers?

vantexan

I spoke with a 25 year Fedx driver a few days ago. We were talking about pensions and he mentioned he'll get a pension and also a portable pension? He mentioned then newer drivers will only get a portable pension. He was an express driver. Will the younger drivers pension be better than the 25 year drivers?
No, the traditional pension was better than your portable pension. There's a large group of couriers in the middle who's traditional pension was cut short, replaced by the portable pension. At the same time although many in that group put in 12-17 years their pay was always held down, never allowed to catch the older topped out guys who made considerably more(and no problem with them here, just the company). Under the new plan if they hang in there they'll reach top pay after around 20-25 years. But someone starting today will do it in 10 years. And more power to them. It's just frustrating that many of us have worked so long for much less pay and smaller pensions.

vantexan

I would be embarrassed to call any of you three my co-worker.
Your co-workers are your union brothers who see real rewards for their efforts. And in the past you stood together to make that happen. FedEx on the other hand pretty much beat any sense of pride in the company out of most of us. They lie to us, and many of those lies affected the quality of our lives negatively. Why you expect us to just put on a big smile and be a leader to the young, etc is beyond me.