Law Enforcement Using Social Network Media

Is it OK for LE to monitor social media network websites?

• No--this is an invasion of our privacy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know/don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wkmac

Uh...over kill??

By who fxdwg? Baba or the gov't?
If you are suggesting Baba, I'm glad he did post it including the list.

Ironically, last evening my wife and I attended a big football party and most all of the attendees were lawyers and a few judges. During the evening, of course the TSA thingy came up and opinions (even the legal ones) varied but the overall general consensus was not very warming to the idea. Yes, I got my licks in too! But we also happen to discuss this very issue as well and most like myself wondered the jurisdictional aspect of it. What I also found interesting is that they all seem to agree that since 9/11 the legal structure of this country has become very muddy even for them as you often have to look in very odd out of the way places to find authority of jurisdiction. One lawyer suggested and he did make a compelling arguement that with so many products made outside the US, all ICE has to do is find 1 single product, even a gem clip, and they can claim customs jurisdiction, even if that gem clip passed through 5 domestic US hands before reaching them. Customs has original jurisdiction over imported products so therefore they maintain that jurisdiction all the way to the final enduser. He backed up his position will the legal precedence of the Commerce Clause and how the Federal gov't reaches inside a state itself to regulate a purely state domestic product under the idea of Interstate Commerce. When any raw product or component of a finish product, is found to have come from outside that state and even though the finished product in never sold and used but inside that state, under the Commerce Clause the federal gov't still has jurisdiction over that product in all aspects in the marketplace including and most important the power to tax it.

One of the judges present who I know and actually married my brother and his wife years ago gave me a link to a presentation on the history of the Writ of Assistance in the early colonies and from that what sprang the idea of the 4th amendment and in many respects the tip of the spear that became the American Revloution. It's a presentation put on by The Bostonian Society and the Boston PBS station WGBH and it segues not only into the action of ICE and Law Enforcement in Social Media, but TSA and so many other Surveil and Seizure State actions. I just called the judge shortly ago to thank him for it and he was happy I appreciated it and told me to share it with my friends. Hope you enjoy it as well but between it being "PBS" and just over an hour long, I'm figuring most won't even bother but then that's actually normal for people even in the 1770's!
:wink2:

A Knock At The Door: Three Centuries of Governmental Search and Seizure
November 2009'

Lue C Fur

Evil member
mban720l.jpg

Babagounj

Strength through joy
http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-based-dns-to-counter-us-domain-seizures-101130/
The domain seizures by the United States authorities in recent days and upcoming legislation that could make similar takeovers even easier in the future, have inspired a group of enthusiasts to come up with a new, decentralized and BitTorrent-powered DNS system. This system will exchange DNS information through peer-to-peer transfers and will work with a new .p2p domain extension.
To limit the power governments have over domain names, a group of enthusiasts has started working on a revolutionary system that can not be influenced by a government institution, or taken down by pulling the plug on a central server. Instead, it is distributed by the people, with help from a BitTorrent-based application that people install on their computer.
According to the project’s website, the goal is to “create an application that runs as a service and hooks into the hosts DNS system to catch all requests to the .p2p TLD while passing all other request cleanly through. Requests for the .p2p TLD will be redirected to a locally hosted DNS database.”
“By creating a .p2p TLD that is totally decentralized and that does not rely on ICANN or any ISP’s DNS service, and by having this application mimic force-encrypted BitTorrent traffic, there will be a way to start combating DNS level based censoring like the new US proposals as well as those systems in use in countries around the world including China and Iran amongst others.”
The Dot-P2P project was literally started a few days ago, but already the developers are making great progress. It is expected that a beta version of the client can be released relatively shortly, a team member assured TorrentFreak.
The project has been embraced by many familiar names in the P2P-community. Former Pirate Bay spokesman Peter Sunde is among them, and the people from EZTV have been promoting it as well.