Layoff Question

P

pickup

Drawing unemployment isn't worth it, your not going to make nearly enough to even make it worth while, most states require you to take a job offered and if you don't take it you are required to pay back all unemployment which you previously have drawn. You also have to apply for a certain amount of jobs per week, I believe it's 1-2 jobs per week? If one calls and you don't take the offer you will not continue to draw unemployment.

Not that I care which choice the Original poster makes as it is his business, I would just wish to let him know that his pension will not be contributed to for the time he is on unemployment.

oldngray

nowhere special
Not that I care which choice the Original poster makes as it is his business, I would just wish to let him know that his pension will not be contributed to for the time he is on unemployment.

Does he need to get a withdrawal card so he won't owe back dues?

HardknocksUPSer

Anymore reason why he shouldn't draw unemployment? I'd rather make no money than draw personally.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Does he need to get a withdrawal card so he won't owe back dues?
Dues are on a monthly basis, so unless laid off for an entire calendar month, no.
For that matter, many Locals may have Bylaws changes to be discussed/voted on at their Jan-Mar meetings; might want to keep current on dues to participate.

box_beeyotch

I'm not laid off and I'm not drawing anything. I was just asking how that worked as this is my first year during this time frame as a driver.

I'm not laid off and I'm not drawing anything. I was just asking how that worked as this is my first year during this time frame as a driver.
I believe that with the hiring spree last year a lot of new drivers will be finding out how the lay off thing works. You may want to check into what your pay rate will be when you bump into the hub to get your 8.

box_beeyotch

I believe that with the hiring spree last year a lot of new drivers will be finding out how the lay off thing works. You may want to check into what your pay rate will be when you bump into the hub to get your 8.

In my local it is your same driver wage when you work in the hub. They told us today most likely in February the bottom 5 will be laid off for a few weeks which is good for me, as I was in the first wave of hires last year. We'll see what happens, no use losing sleep over something you cant control. It's only a job, not your entire life.

In my local it is your same driver wage when you work in the hub. They told us today most likely in February the bottom 5 will be laid off for a few weeks which is good for me, as I was in the first wave of hires last year. We'll see what happens, no use losing sleep over something you cant control. It's only a job, not your entire life.
If you are making driver wages laid off working in the hub is not so bad. No OT but you also don't have to deal with winter driving and taking the chance of crashing and everything that goes along with that. Your fault or not.

UPSGUY72

Just for the foreseeable future, in the event us lower seniority cover drivers receive layoff days, how many days in a row must you be laid off before you can file for unemployment?

Unemployment rules vary by state. In most states you can apply for unemployment the day you get laid off. Whether you collect anything or not will depend on how long you are laid off or how you work hours are cut or pay is changed if your have to work back on the inside at your inside rate. In Mass you can collect unemployment even if your still working but your hours are being cut or pay is cut (ie only working a couple of days a week or working PT)

As a FT cover you should be able to bump 1 or 2 PT timers and work on the inside. The first years I started out as a cover driver I got laid off after the first of the year and worked the pre-load and also collect.

P

pickup

Hondo might know about this issue better than I do. But I believe under the new contract or at least in my supplement, that if you don't work any day in a work week( a week that is not covered by vacation or at least one option or sick day) then you are on the hook for the amount of 1 week of health benefits.

I don't know too much about this but this is what some of the more reliable minds in my department have figured out

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Wrong. I was laid off several years ago and opted to collect unemployment instead of bumping. Was off seven weeks. Made about 300 a week and they were not happy.
There are a few exceptions, but in most states, if you are offered work while drawing unemployment, and turn it down, your unemployment will cease.

Consider yourself lucky.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Hondo might know about this issue better than I do. But I believe under the new contract or at least in my supplement, that if you don't work any day in a work week( a week that is not covered by vacation or at least one option or sick day) then you are on the hook for the amount of 1 week of health benefits.

I don't know too much about this but this is what some of the more reliable minds in my department have figured out
You have 3 options when you do not work, or have any compensated time in the week.

1. Do nothing. You do not have to pick up the COBRA for the week, but if you see a doctor or have any medical bills for the week, they will not be covered.

2. Pay the COBRA. I believe it is around $300 for the week, but you will then have insurance for the week.

3. Do nothing and if you do have to see a doctor, wait for the COBRA notice (usually takes a few weeks to catch up to you) and compare what the doctors bills are vs the COBRA payment. You may come out ahead just paying the doctor bill.

If it serious, like a hospital visit, you just need to pay the COBRA payment when you get it and your insurance reverts back to the week you had none and the hospital bills will be paid.

chris9834

The last day I touched a DIAD was on the 24th of December. My steward is telling me to file a grievence due to the fact there still using helpers...and from what I understand they use helpers year round at 2 locations so he told me to file everyday. The issue with that is waiting 6 months to get to hearing aint gunna help my pockets out now. I did prepare and I managed to save up 4k preparing for this layoff...but if something doesnt give very soon im going to the unemployment office before I loose everything. I would much rather drive then do that, its that or drop this and go else where for employment. Def starting to seek out my options.

Pickles

You have 3 options when you do not work, or have any compensated time in the week.

1. Do nothing. You do not have to pick up the COBRA for the week, but if you see a doctor or have any medical bills for the week, they will not be covered.

2. Pay the COBRA. I believe it is around $300 for the week, but you will then have insurance for the week.

3. Do nothing and if you do have to see a doctor, wait for the COBRA notice (usually takes a few weeks to catch up to you) and compare what the doctors bills are vs the COBRA payment. You may come out ahead just paying the doctor bill.

If it serious, like a hospital visit, you just need to pay the COBRA payment when you get it and your insurance reverts back to the week you had none and the hospital bills will be paid.

So you lose insurance for the week if you didn't work that week? Are you fine if you just work 1 - 4 hour shift?

Go Brown Or Go Home!

The last day I touched a DIAD was on the 24th of December. My steward is telling me to file a grievence due to the fact there still using helpers...and from what I understand they use helpers year round at 2 locations so he told me to file everyday. The issue with that is waiting 6 months to get to hearing aint gunna help my pockets out now. I did prepare and I managed to save up 4k preparing for this layoff...but if something doesnt give very soon im going to the unemployment office before I loose everything. I would much rather drive then do that, its that or drop this and go else where for employment. Def starting to seek out my options.
Are you full time? Today is my second day going home. I asked a senior driver if I could take his route. He said yes my on car said no. WTF is that about. On car said they are watching all there numbers. friend this place!!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So you lose insurance for the week if you didn't work that week? Are you fine if you just work 1 - 4 hour shift?
You just need to punch in at least once a week. Even if you only worked an hour, you are covered for the week. You just need any kind of compensable time: punch in once, vacation, option day, holiday.