Layoff Question

chris9834

No im P.T. TCD but my steward told me when he was a T.C.D. and he got laid off into warehouse he went to the unemployment office and they granted him loss of wages despite the fact that he was pt bc he was making more as a driver and more hours, he told me UPS tried to fight it but they didnt have a leg to stand on... but each state probably has different protocal if I was you just go to your states unemployment office and run it by them. But if they are using helpers or have a lower senority driver file a grievence it does take time but if u file a month or however long thats 8 hrs driver pay a day for however many days.

chris9834

Going to be rough for the next couple months until Spring and vacations kick in heavy.
Yea I wish they would just say hey we are not going to really start needing you until a certain time. So I could go else where in mean time and work until it picks back up then thrown in a adequate notice and not burn a company and come back.

Go Brown Or Go Home!

Texted my steward this morning and we will be having a chat tomorrow. Almost told my on car to friend off but kept my cool. Not sure if I'll be able to relax if I get sent home again tomorrow.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
There are a few exceptions, but in most states, if you are offered work while drawing unemployment, and turn it down, your unemployment will cease.

Consider yourself lucky.

What you don't understand is you are wrong again. If they can't guarantee you driving for 5 days a week then you can take the layoff. Then after a week file for unemployment. Because you took the layoff. Which is your right. Read the contract. Spelled out clearly. I didn't call in. I told them when they had five days of work for me I would come back.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What you don't understand is you are wrong again. If they can't guarantee you driving for 5 days a week then you can take the layoff. Then after a week file for unemployment. Because you took the layoff. Which is your right. Read the contract. Spelled out clearly. I didn't call in. I told them when they had five days of work for me I would come back.
Spelled out clearly in the contract? Not in the Master or the Central. I do not know every supplement, rider and addendum.

What supplement are you in. I am curious to see the language spelling this out.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Spelled out clearly in the contract? Not in the Master or the Central. I do not know every supplement, rider and addendum.

What supplement are you in. I am curious to see the language spelling this out.

Another uneducated brother. Funny how I have been thru this and have to defend myself. But anyway,I know how to read.

Central region article 3 section 6 last sentence. Page 189. Anything else?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Another uneducated brother. Funny how I have been thru this and have to defend myself. But anyway,I know how to read.

Central region article 3 section 6 last sentence. Page 189. Anything else?
Uneducated? I forgot more than you know. But it is all good.

Yes, you can take a layoff in lieu of bumping 2 part timers. This has nothing to do with telling UPS that you are taking the layoff for the entire week just because you are not guaranteed 5 days.

You have been able to do this because I would assume that you have lesser seniority people below you laid off also. They just bypass you and call them in when there is work.

If you are the only one laid off, and UPS needs a driver, and you refuse to come in, good luck with that.

If you are laid off for the entire week, you do not have medical insurance. Good luck with that.

You would rather sit home and collect money instead of working for it. We all see your integrity now. Good luck with that.

It's all good brother. I know a lot of people like you. Want paid and not work for it. That's the problem with this new generation. They want to be paid but don't want to work for it.

watdaflock?

Love my brother in law but it's this type of stuff he does in the winter that pisses me off.
He's a heavy machinery operator. Well this time of year he's usually begging to be laid off so he can start drawing unemployment.
No doubt about it. A friend works for a paving company (Union of course) and what you describe is normal for them.
Purposely laid off, collect unemployment winter months and go back to paying come summer time.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Uneducated? I forgot more than you know. But it is all good.

Yes, you can take a layoff in lieu of bumping 2 part timers. This has nothing to do with telling UPS that you are taking the layoff for the entire week just because you are not guaranteed 5 days.

You have been able to do this because I would assume that you have lesser seniority people below you laid off also. They just bypass you and call them in when there is work.

If you are the only one laid off, and UPS needs a driver, and you refuse to come in, good luck with that.

If you are laid off for the entire week, you do not have medical insurance. Good luck with that.

You would rather sit home and collect money instead of working for it. We all see your integrity now. Good luck with that.

It's all good brother. I know a lot of people like you. Want paid and not work for it. That's the problem with this new generation. They want to be paid but don't want to work for it.

Wrong again. You are guaranteed five days of 8 hours. If they can't guarantee this you can bump. If you don't want to bump you can take the layoff. Period.
You don't know me or my situation. Just stop telling people the wrong information. I have been thru this and you have not. I would say that I am more credible then you. By the way when you bump an inside employee what happens to them. I know screw them because you need your hours. Somebody will not be getting paid.

Wrong agin. If you take the layoff, then they can't ask you to just work Wednesday. You get a two week notice or recall. You are laid off. If you aren't guaranteed 5 days of 8 then continue the layoff.

I never said that you did. My wife picked up insurance so I was covered , so thanks for your concern.

8 hour request are in the contract as well as 9.5 and paid days off. Layoff is just another benefit of the contract.

The last paragraph says.

If a laid off full time employee elects to take a layoff rather than exercise his right to displace a part time employee, he shall be considered a laid off employee for lack of work for the purposes of unemployment compensation.

So anything else.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Wrong again. You are guaranteed five days of 8 hours. If they can't guarantee this you can bump. If you don't want to bump you can take the layoff. Period.
You don't know me or my situation. Just stop telling people the wrong information. I have been thru this and you have not. I would say that I am more credible then you. By the way when you bump an inside employee what happens to them. I know screw them because you need your hours. Somebody will not be getting paid.

Wrong agin. If you take the layoff, then they can't ask you to just work Wednesday. You get a two week notice or recall. You are laid off. If you aren't guaranteed 5 days of 8 then continue the layoff.

I never said that you did. My wife picked up insurance so I was covered , so thanks for your concern.

8 hour request are in the contract as well as 9.5 and paid days off. Layoff is just another benefit of the contract.

The last paragraph says.

If a laid off full time employee elects to take a layoff rather than exercise his right to displace a part time employee, he shall be considered a laid off employee for lack of work for the purposes of unemployment compensation.

So anything else.
Yes. Your stated 2 weeks notice of recall is incorrect. You have to be laid off for 2 weeks or more to have the 2 week notice. If you are laid off for less than 2 weeks, I believe they only have to give you 24 hours notice of restoration. At least that is my locals agreement.

And if you tell people to take the full week layoff, please be sure to tell them that they will lose their insurance for the week. You are lucky that your wife has insurance. Most of us are not so fortunate.

Where do you think your unemployment comp comes from? Do you think it just magically appears out of thin air?

Companies pay an unemployment insurance premium. These companies charge more money for their products and services to cover this premium. I pay more money for my products due to this premium. So I am basically paying you to sit home on your butt.

If you truly have no work for the week, short of bumping 2 part timers, then fine. Sit at home and collect your money.

If UPS only has 3 days work for you, or 2 days, not the 5 that you demand, get your butt in and work. Hint: you will make more money working a couple of days than you will make on unemployment. And if by chance you don't, unemployment will make up the difference.

But this would mean that you would have to work for your money, instead of sitting at home and collecting this "free" money.

I do not know you and this is nothing personal toward you. It was just your post that I saw.

I never said to bump 2 part timers. But if UPS has some work for the week, maybe not the full week, it just irritates me that people refuse this work and just want to sit at home and get paid.

And yes, you may be right. I may have over generalized "everybody" when it comes to lay offs/on call. We all know that there are a million different rules and almost every local has a different practice.

If you read Section 5, it says that this language will not supercede any local agreement. Maybe your local enforces the 5 days of layoff, but not everyone does. I guess I need to put a disclaimer on my posts to make sure to check your local supplements and agreements.

I should have said that you "could" lose your unemployment. Check with your local BA as to your lay off agreements.

You name the bar and if it close me, I'll buy the first round.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I recall when I was a casual I could collect unemployment if I worked 2 or fewer days in a week. As Mugarolla said, you would probably make more by working a few days and collecting unemployment. I do know that if we were offered and turned down work that we would not be eligible to receive unemployment, which makes sense.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

The last paragraph says.

So anything else.

I got a little long winded in my last post, sorry. You would think that I covered everything. But I did forget to mention one thing. You are not guaranteed 5 days if you are in the bottom 10%

ARTICLE 12-HOURS OF WORK

Section 1

There shall be a weekly guarantee in each center as follows: In each

classification in each center, the most senior ninety percent (90%)

of employees called or put to work on the first (1st) workday shall

be afforded the opportunity of working forty (40) hours of straight

time work during the week.

I agree that it is a little different if you do not work on Monday, but the point is, if you are being laid off, you are probably in the bottom 10% and you do not have a 5 day guarantee of work.

The drivers above you in seniority that they are working do not even have a 5 day guarantee if they are in the bottom 10% of employees put to work on Monday.

So why do you think you have a guarantee of 5 days if drivers above you who are working do not even have that guarantee?

Edit: Again, nothing personal. I do enjoy a spirited debate. I'll buy the first 2 rounds.

box_beeyotch

I got a little long winded in my last post, sorry. You would think that I covered everything. But I did forget to mention one thing. You are not guaranteed 5 days if you are in the bottom 10%

ARTICLE 12-HOURS OF WORK

Section 1

There shall be a weekly guarantee in each center as follows: In each

classification in each center, the most senior ninety percent (90%)

of employees called or put to work on the first (1st) workday shall

be afforded the opportunity of working forty (40) hours of straight

time work during the week.

I agree that it is a little different if you do not work on Monday, but the point is, if you are being laid off, you are probably in the bottom 10% and you do not have a 5 day guarantee of work.

The drivers above you in seniority that they are working do not even have a 5 day guarantee if they are in the bottom 10% of employees put to work on Monday.

So why do you think you have a guarantee of 5 days if drivers above you who are working do not even have that guarantee?

Edit: Again, nothing personal. I do enjoy a spirited debate. I'll buy the first 2 rounds.

I'm not sure we have that language here about the 10 percent. For us that would only be the bottom 8 anyway

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm not sure we have that language here about the 10 percent. For us that would only be the bottom 8 anyway
Some centers it may only be the bottom 4. The point is user name told the company that if they do not have his guarantee of 5 days, then don't call him and he will stay on unemployment.

In the Central, if your in the bottom 10%, one of those 4 or 8 or whatever the 10% number is in your center, you do not have a 5 day guarantee.

You are only guaranteed 8 hours if they put you to work, but you are not guaranteed to work 5 days.

Overpaid Union Thug

With ORION coming in I expect people to be laid off. Even without it. So many full-timers were hired last year leading up to peak and now UPS is going into their usual after peak crunch mode and will probably be worse this year as an attempt to get back some of that peak profit they missed out on this year by using more people. The savings from not having so many missed pieces won't even cover the amount of coin they could have made by stuffing the trucks like pigs like they normally do during peak. The squeeze will be brutal for that reason. It will be worse in buildings that only have a preload and reload/local sort. Some laid off drivers will have to work split shifts to get their 8 hours.

ORION will compound this issue because I'm hearing that many centers lost routes after full implantation. I just wish people would concentrate on safety and refuse to follow ORION when it's unsafe per the methods as opposed to following it out of fear. If it's unsafe don't do it. It would be a shame if routes were cut unnecessarily because drivers were spending the majority of their days cutting across traffic and backing P1000s into driveways 60+ times just to adhere to a crazy metric.

box_beeyotch

With ORION coming in I expect people to be laid off. Even without it. So many full-timers were hired last year leading up to peak and now UPS is going into their usual after peak crunch mode and will probably be worse this year as an attempt to get back some of that peak profit they missed out on this year by using more people. The savings from not having so many missed pieces won't even cover the amount of coin they could have made by stuffing the trucks like pigs like they normally do during peak. The squeeze will be brutal for that reason. It will be worse in buildings that only have a preload and reload/local sort. Some laid off drivers will have to work split shifts to get their 8 hours.

ORION will compound this issue because I'm hearing that many centers lost routes after full implantation. I just wish people would concentrate on safety and refuse to follow ORION when it's unsafe per the methods as opposed to following it out of fear. If it's unsafe don't do it. It would be a shame if routes were cut unnecessarily because drivers were spending the majority of their days cutting across traffic and backing P1000s into driveways 60+ times just to adhere to a crazy metric.

They don't enforce Orion well in our center and I'd venture to say a good 90 percent of our staff turns it off as soon as they retrieve EDD. Also, we have 5 new bid routes as of the first of this year, will they be in everyday is the real issue. Safety first always, Orion can blow me.

xtatic77

Yes. Your stated 2 weeks notice of recall is incorrect. You have to be laid off for 2 weeks or more to have the 2 week notice. If you are laid off for less than 2 weeks, I believe they only have to give you 24 hours notice of restoration. At least that is my locals agreement.

And if you tell people to take the full week layoff, please be sure to tell them that they will lose their insurance for the week. You are lucky that your wife has insurance. Most of us are not so fortunate.

Where do you think your unemployment comp comes from? Do you think it just magically appears out of thin air?

Companies pay an unemployment insurance premium. These companies charge more money for their products and services to cover this premium. I pay more money for my products due to this premium. So I am basically paying you to sit home on your butt.

If you truly have no work for the week, short of bumping 2 part timers, then fine. Sit at home and collect your money.

If UPS only has 3 days work for you, or 2 days, not the 5 that you demand, get your butt in and work. Hint: you will make more money working a couple of days than you will make on unemployment. And if by chance you don't, unemployment will make up the difference.

But this would mean that you would have to work for your money, instead of sitting at home and collecting this "free" money.

I do not know you and this is nothing personal toward you. It was just your post that I saw.

I never said to bump 2 part timers. But if UPS has some work for the week, maybe not the full week, it just irritates me that people refuse this work and just want to sit at home and get paid.

And yes, you may be right. I may have over generalized "everybody" when it comes to lay offs/on call. We all know that there are a million different rules and almost every local has a different practice.

If you read Section 5, it says that this language will not supercede any local agreement. Maybe your local enforces the 5 days of layoff, but not everyone does. I guess I need to put a disclaimer on my posts to make sure to check your local supplements and agreements.

I should have said that you "could" lose your unemployment. Check with your local BA as to your lay off agreements.

You name the bar and if it close me, I'll buy the first round.

I am a full time Driver as of 08/2014. I qualified on 10/19/14. 2 weeks ago I worked 2 days, thursday and Friday. Last week, I didn't work a single minute. Yesterday I didn't work. Today I bumped into hub cause this :censored2: is killing me. What youre saying is I can file for those uncompensated days? I also got told that I am at loader pay and not driver pay. 3$ PAYCUT! I have 2 guys below me and 2 above me wondering the same thing. Of course no one will give us a straight answer.