Layoffs after Christmas

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Heard a rumor today that our hub is shutting one of our shifts down....Not lookin good

Heard today theyre cancelling our midnight shift takin 50 from midnight 50 from sunrise and putting them on daysort and twilight then layin off people by seniority...also heard theyre cancelling 30 feeder runs permanently

newguy1

im still new and am seasonal, but from what i hear from the older guys, nothing is said about layoffs. alot of them are going to feeders and some are retiring, which opens doors for new drivers. i just stay positive and keep my hopes high, dont have anything else to really set for......

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We do have alot of die hard union employees but we also have our share of the me me me me me upsers, so you should fit right in.

That's unfortunate in that I don't fit into either of those categories.

I have the ability to think for myself and go above and beyond so that would exclude me from the first category.

I am always looking for ways to improve service to my customers, to bring new business to the company and to help the other drivers in my loop if needed, and to use common sense and not be guided by a piece of paper, so that would exclude me from the second category. (To be fair, you are right, I do take care of me first as no one else will but not at the expense of the operation.)

I guess we need a third category. Let's call it dedicated employee. Someone who shows up day in and day out ready to go when I get there. If I have a beef I don't discuss it in front of the other drivers but I pull that sup aside and discuss it man to man. I do my work and, if time allows, offer to help others who may have more than they can handle that day. I don't bang in sick because I am too hungover from my Super Bowl party. I will take a day off to make sure that my cover driver works and will keep him up to date on any changes and/or shortcuts/tips to help him when he is covering my route.

RedThunder

Well I'm from a small center, 20 drivers, and just got laid off Monday from my 22.3 job. Told i could bump a PT but would not be guaranteed 8 hours. Funny thing is we are hiring new drivers, 3 in the last 3 months but are cutting runs. Down to 15 on Mondays and Fridays, 17 the rest of the week. I was a driver for 20 years before taking this job.

The layoff only lasted two days. Well, they actually say i'm still layed off but have to come in and work the preload because of vacations but i'm still not guaranteed my 8 hours. Yet to hear from the grievances i filed. I don't think they can lay me off and still have the same work i was doing be covered by part-timers. But as usual UPS does what it wants until you stand up to them.:angry:

skir

Los Angeles CA
We had a PCM today and they told us that Certitos Hub in CA. Laid off 50 Drivers. I have never herd of that many drivers laid off. Not even on 1997 strike or sept 11. Pretty scarry

tritese

tritese
all of the lay off talk is just that right now, TALK (at least as far as doing away with one of the sorts). there is no confirmation on combining sorts, etc. i can remember when there was no sunrise shift in our hub. a lot more people on the night sort. the night sort ran florida and most of the out of states back then.

tritese

tritese
our feeder drivers have been laid off for a few weeks now. and rumor does have it that there will be more in january. i just wish they would go about this lay off in the correct manner. the company seems to change the rules day to day. CRAZY. they have a feeder driver laid off and they are telling him he has to work twilight/preload!! there is no way i would make two trips for an eight hour day, would those managers do that with gas $3/gallon? (of course, was worse just a week ago) he is dumb to do it! he says he filed a grievance. suppose to be at panel this week. i guess we will have to wait and see...

rocket man

in our center the amount of weeks of vaction add up to 5 years 3 months not including the option days driviers getting hurt, ect, 40 pct layoffs a lot on on roads would be working. IF they are there they will be busy cutting each others throat trying to stay.this not a fact just a hunch.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got a letter in the mail today from the Georgia District Manager. It addressed the current loss of business volume and urged us to go after DHL accounts. In my state, we have 93 fewer Package and 35 less Feeder Drivers then we did this time last year.

I did have a Dell notebook delivery today. I haven't had one of these except through HSN or QVC in a long time.

705red

Browncafe Steward
our feeder drivers have been laid off for a few weeks now. and rumor does have it that there will be more in january. i just wish they would go about this lay off in the correct manner. the company seems to change the rules day to day. CRAZY. they have a feeder driver laid off and they are telling him he has to work twilight/preload!! there is no way i would make two trips for an eight hour day, would those managers do that with gas $3/gallon? (of course, was worse just a week ago) he is dumb to do it! he says he filed a grievance. suppose to be at panel this week. i guess we will have to wait and see...
Its either make the trip or take unemployment and lose your medical benefits, alot of us would make the trip compared to the price of cobra coverage.IMO