Layoffs start December 29th

svgal

I work in the Pacific Region at one of the District Office's and we were told that our district will be consolidated with another district next year. Rumors have been off the hook for the past couple months. One rumor is that we're supposed to hear something nationwide on Jan 5th. It's very scary for all UPS'ers right now.

rocket man

When the new list for the over 9 5 comes out every driver must sign it wheather they agree with it or not every 8 drivers that sign it Thats one more route they will have to put on PLEASE SIGN THAT LIST.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
When the new list for the over 9 5 comes out every driver must sign it wheather they agree with it or not every 8 drivers that sign it Thats one more route they will have to put on PLEASE SIGN THAT LIST.

Far too many company minded goodboys for this to happen. At least in the several centers/buildings I have worked.

I'mTheMan

If Hoffa hadn't been reelected, we might not have such a neutered union right now...:sad-very:

I agree with you but wish that union's should've honored Ron Carey's wish though and he's the one the brought up new article called 22.3's full time combo jobs. It did that but I'm really against Hoffa that he's not a real supporter for UPS's for 22.3 combo full time jobs for families. Right now Hoffa not supporting anything to it even with all the panels that has been going on since this year. It's still going to be a very long long fight in many days to come and even if word spreads out correct that economy could be back to normal by 2nd quarter in this results when it comes out end of June 2009. Never know, recalling jobs back or new jobs may be around the corner somewhere between these times.

scoobypanda

H.R would not tell you that you don't have to go back to preload because they don't want you to collect unemployment. It is your choice. Take the 4 1/2 hour guarantee for p/t work or collect unemployment. If your concern is losing your benefits, check with health & welfare dept at your local. One day of work in a month will likely keep your benefits intact. If you don't think you will get a day of work in the month, you should request a withdrawal card and find out what cobra benefits you are entitled to.
If you are laid off, communicate with your steward, and be vigilant. Make sure that no supervisors are working and that no one with less time is working in your local. Anyone forced to work 9.51 or more should file excessive overtime grievance. Layoffs will end much quicker if U.P.S is paying grievances and paying loaders over $20/hour.
Needs of the company are important and need for reduction of staff may be justified, but we all know U.P.S may take an inch and go 4,915 miles. Don't let that happen, work together.

Just signing the list to opt into the over 9.5 language isn't enough. Here, just signing the list made no difference at all. Every driver that signs the opt in must also file every time they qualify for the excessive over time pay.(3 or more days in a week O/9.5 days WORKED not planned). Each and every driver should also take their full allotted meal/break time as lined out in their perspective contracts. IF every driver would do this it would force the company to put more drivers to work. Just because the volume is going to be down does not mean that UPS can continue to work people 11-12 hour days without having to pay the consequences.
And I'll bet a dollar to a donut hole that we will have to raise three kinds of hell to get our manager to post the opt in/out list to start with.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The following is from Wikipedia:

Dollars to donuts is a faux bet in which one person agrees to put up the same amount of dollars to another person's donuts in a bet. The person uttering the phrase intends to escape paying for a real bet by showing mock support for the likelihood of a specific future event. Betting someone dollars to donuts is a rhetorical device that indicates that the person is confident but unlikely to care enough about the future event to put their money where their mouth is.

The following is from Wikipedia:

Dollars to donuts is a faux bet in which one person agrees to put up the same amount of dollars to another person's donuts in a bet. The person uttering the phrase intends to escape paying for a real bet by showing mock support for the likelihood of a specific future event. Betting someone dollars to donuts is a rhetorical device that indicates that the person is confident but unlikely to care enough about the future event to put their money where their mouth is.
Thank you Professor UpSate for that information.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The 9.5 negotiating committee has apparently adopted some new guidelines for the "opt-in list". As it's been explained to me, you no longer have to sign the list within a certain time frame, instead you can have your name added to the list anytime you are dispatched over 9.5 for more than 3 out of 5 days and choose to file over it. Once added your name will remain on the list for the remainder of the 5 month period.