Layoffs start December 29th

non_bid_dawg

32 routes in 3 centers..
What's the word in the midwest? I work in SE Ohio and while we're a little slow It sounds like we're not seeing nearly as bad a slowdown as on the coasts. In fact, our center MGR who's actually honest (really..I know that's hard to believe in this company full of snakes) seems to think that DHL crashing will carry us through till volume picks up again.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
The following is from Wikipedia:

Dollars to donuts is a faux bet in which one person agrees to put up the same amount of dollars to another person's donuts in a bet. The person uttering the phrase intends to escape paying for a real bet by showing mock support for the likelihood of a specific future event. Betting someone dollars to donuts is a rhetorical device that indicates that the person is confident but unlikely to care enough about the future event to put their money where their mouth is.

Upstate, you got way to much time on your hands:wink2:

outta hours

Here we go again. Got the call today while I was out on the road... "Report to the pre-load Monday morning". That didn't take long. Last year I made it til March.... :whiteflag:

Good news is they won't be able to call you on your personal phone anymore. hub workers cannot bring phones to work.

I'mTheMan

Maybe or maybe not. It always seems like doom and gloom after New Years. I think he will be back sooner than later.

Correct me if I am mistaken? Try maybe between 4, 6, or 8 months, would call him back and recall him back to work? Depends on how UPS can get all the business back and volume back as well.

I'mTheMan

Hey at least you'll be able to make new friends! :peaceful:

Making new friends at the hub is the hardest part. They won't trust you at first till few months later or so, then will start trust you with your work and gaining new experience. I've been through this during last 4 months when I was sent back to the hub as part time from airport as full time combo job. It is not easy as it looks. Even managements will start threatened on your job performance in first place then later it'll mellow it out on it's own and let you do your job whatever it takes to get it done by end of your shift.

Dark_Team_135

I believe a 22.3 or Cover Driver does not have the option of collecting unemployment and must return to their last position, it's tough to go back but if the volume does not exist then UPS has no other choice. Whoever says you can collect unemployment please state your source. If you were laid off completely then you could apply for unemployment benefits after 2 weeks. Next year will be especially difficult but at least most will be able to go back to part time with a continuation of benefits.

Central Region Article 2 Section 6:

"If a laid-off, full-time employee elects to take a layoff rather than exercise his/her right to displace a part-time employee, he/she shall be considered a laid-off employee for lack of work for the purpose of unemployment compensation."

PAUPSER

Lay-off started today at our center, approximately 30% of the workforce which equals to about 30 people excluding the 12 seasonal driver/driver helpers we had was laid off and our preload today only got 2hrs of work in today. I was told they are being placed on-call and sign up for unemployment or the drivers have the option to bump others by seniority to work inside. Hopefully these drastic cuts don’t happen at every center or hub!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Lay-off started today at our center, approximately 30% of the workforce which equals to about 30 people excluding the 12 seasonal driver/driver helpers we had was laid off and our preload today only got 2hrs of work in today. I was told they are being placed on-call and sign up for unemployment or the drivers have the option to bump others by seniority to work inside. Hopefully these drastic cuts don’t happen at every center or hub!

Where in PA?