Layoffs to come?

ccai

Hey. UPSers, have anyone heard of any news on or experienced layoffs in your county? what jobs are affected? so far what I have known is the aircraft mechanics in US...would that happen in China? we have some rumous here in China.:sick:

Raw

Raw Member
Hey. UPSers, have anyone heard of any news on or experienced layoffs in your county? what jobs are affected? so far what I have known is the aircraft mechanics in US...would that happen in China? we have some rumous here in China.:sick:
In China you will still be ruled by communism and eat dog for food! :dissapointed:

ccai

In China you will still be ruled by communism and eat dog for food! :dissapointed:

Is it the way you respect people? and it is the way you view a country with a different culture? what else do you know about China? you d hide that stance of cockiness.

I am proud of my country.

feeder53

ADKtrails
CCAI, My apologies for some of my countrymen, I do not know how the company is structured in China, and even here in the USA, different parts of the country have different contracts. If I were to venture a guess, I would have to say yes. The new global economy effects all of us.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Is it the way you respect people? and it is the way you view a country with a different culture? what else do you know about China? you d hide that stance of cockiness.

I am proud of my country.
Welcome. Glad to have you aboard. Maybe we here can get some insight to the way of things over seas.

BrownBlue

New Jack
Between 0-5 all voluntary so far at my center of 38 drivers. I volunteered today, one of 4. Only 1 guy on vacation this week. Sooner or later we'll have burned up all our sick and floaters, and no longer be able to afford the no pay volunteer layoff days. Good to see that the center north of us has none, brownroadster, we heard rumors of after peak 14, back in December.

Homoudont

We've had one 22.3 combo job eliminated. Also have rolling layoffs. We are supposed to call in every day to see if there is work. FYI I am a part time working the local shift. And we've only had 1-2 days where people were asked not to come in and those were peak hires that haven't made seniority yet.

aikiernie

I heard rumors of the company and the union talking about not guaranteed hours for p/t or friend/t to prevent layoffs in california;Anyone else here anything about this?

sexyupsman

I do not believe that UPS will layoff any of its drivers because I see my driver every single day and it seems his truck is filled to capacity. I am not one to look for bad things to come so I think things are eventually going to turn back around for the best! If my driver gets canned I will NEVER ship via UPS again. Ok I doubt that but my loyalty to my driver is today, tomorrow and forever! Go Brown!

UPSNewbie

I do not believe that UPS will layoff any of its drivers because I see my driver every single day and it seems his truck is filled to capacity. I am not one to look for bad things to come so I think things are eventually going to turn back around for the best! If my driver gets canned I will NEVER ship via UPS again. Ok I doubt that but my loyalty to my driver is today, tomorrow and forever! Go Brown!

Layoffs at UPS aren't what outside people associate that word with. They aren't permanently gone. They will be back once volume picks up.

fethrs

At my hub in So Cal the pt cover drives are laid off but getting some hours in the sunrise,and some are double shifting and coming in for the twilight sort. I think they took a pay cut too. No ft or combo people have been laid off as far as I know.

onefallen1

Good evening,

I am part of Inside Sales and it is usually stressed to us that UPS tries very hard to not do layoffs. With that being said, I remember reading on upsers.com about a site being closed and downsizing through attrition.

Layoffs at UPS aren't what outside people associate that word with. They aren't permanently gone. They will be back once volume picks up.

That's not necessarily going to be soon. Could be years or even decades from now. This recession/depression is not a regular, predictable event. I would hope you are right, but as an example, Japan's markets are going on 30 years of trying to recover from a bubble bust.