Layoffs to come?

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
It's interesting that, in some parts of the country, your pay rate doesn't change if you bump into 2 part time jobs to get 8 hours. In Fla. you go back to preload pay after you've been laid off for 7 consecutive days. We haven't had anyone laid off yet. However, summers here are historically slow and we are expecting layoffs after Easter.

backinbrown

respect my authority
It's interesting that, in some parts of the country, your pay rate doesn't change if you bump into 2 part time jobs to get 8 hours. In Fla. you go back to preload pay after you've been laid off for 7 consecutive days. We haven't had anyone laid off yet. However, summers here are historically slow and we are expecting layoffs after Easter.

That is because everyone comes to maine for the summer

please tell people to turn their blinkers off it gets old:funny:

bluehdmc

That is because everyone comes to maine for the summer

please tell people to turn their blinkers off it gets old:funny:

They make special blinkers for old folks, they stay on a minimum of 200 miles. :wink2:

40 north Jersey feeder drivers laid off this week, 20 the week before, 30 the week before that, probalby be up and down till May or June, depends on vacation schedule and whether the cancel any jobs. We can work in the hub at driver rate, twilight and night sort.

These are drivers hired off the street.

fethrs

This is the wonderful part about UPS. If you get laid-off from your driver job you can get hours working the "sunrise shift". Most other companies would force you into the unemployement line.

I work in the north-east. When you mentioned the "sunrise" shift in So Cal , it puts nice thoughts into my head. This is why So Cal is the best place on earth!

I'm guessing the "Sunrise" shift is where you load the package cars for delivery. We call it the "preload" in New England and the sun doesn't rise until 7 AM and its always 10-20 degrees at this hour until we get to March:dissapointed:.
A little late replying, sorry, yes the Sunrise is the whole opration in the morning, Preload, Unload, and everything else from about 4am till 8am. The coldest I think it's been is about 40 or 41 and man is everyone crying, all the bay doors are open and we don't have any heat, but it's not that bad, some think so though all they do it complain they don't know anything different.

SoyFish

Been taking it day by day. Getting to work 2-3 days per week. Unfortunately in my local we cannot work inside when on lay off. No official layoff. Just have to call everyday to see if I'm working.

I'm stuck calling everyday to see if I'm working, haven't gotten to work at all this week. (At first I'm like oh great, but it's just like a vacation I guess) Since I'm still at home and such it really isn't hurting my need for $$$ yet. I'm just lucky to be "employed" still and not completely terminated :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There has been discussion in our center about cover drivers not calling each morning but instead coming in ready to work and hoping that someone will want to take the day off so that they can work. I know that I did that when I was a casual and it was actually kind of funny to watch some of the older guys fight amongst themselves as to who would get to go home. The Union, believe it or not, is saying that they should not be doing this. Mgt couldn't care less as long as the run is covered. I applaud the cover drivers who do this as it really shows who wants to work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The union is probably thinking if the company has a cover driver come in ready to work, they should work them.

You would think but that is not the case. The Union wants the cover guys to call each morning rather than coming in dressed and ready to work. I know, doesn't make sense to me either.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate, do these people get paid to be on call?

No. This is the way it was when I was a cover driver. We were asked to call in each morning to see if they had work for us. This is why I have no problem with the casuals taking it upon themselves to cut out the middle man and simply come in. Does it always work? No, there are days that they come in and then get sent back home. They know that there is no guarantee but they also know that if one of the oldtimer's sees them they may opt to go home and let the casual work.

My point was I was surprised that it was the Union that has taken the stand that they do not approve of the casuals coming in each morning because when I was a casual it was mgt that did not like that.

over9five

Staff member
Yup, it's hard for a senior guy to work when he sees an available cover driver standing there!

When I first started and they had no work for me, I could ALWAYS walk around myself and find someone who would go home.

I never go home. If I drive to work, I'm working.

705red

Browncafe Steward
i was pulling out of the building today when a cover driver approached me and asked to do my route. I was getting ready to say no i would work and he said he only had worked 1 day this week. So i sacrificed my paid day to help him get some hours this week.

unionman

i was pulling out of the building today when a cover driver approached me and asked to do my route. I was getting ready to say no i would work and he said he only had worked 1 day this week. So i sacrificed my paid day to help him get some hours this week.
============
Very noble of you, if only more people would think of others, this country might be in better shape.

bugman74

I agree with that, I have heard in my building that guys want to take time off and mgt won't let them. I am one of the drivers that have gone down to working split shifts. I have been doing this for about a month and no one really knows when it will end. I see drivers come in everyday at 7 or later, just hammered from the day. Our center has two peak seasons, so there is hope on the horizon. Just hope it turns around.

sexyupsman

My driver has said talk in the hub is good from management. No mention yet of any layoffs. He is on vacation this week and is kinda worried about the fact the drivers are all worried. Nobody has been laid off but the deliveries are getting bigger and the shifts are getting longer. They have a hiring freeze but are completely busy as hell. We can only hope things are going to get better before they get any worse. My company however is growing at a rapid pace. My daily shipments have increased with shipments going LTL as well. We are planning on a budget revision due to the increased business. Our forecast for the year has actually doubled what we projected. UPS will get more business from us than in the last two years.:peaceful: