layoffs

gypsy mcgee

i watched a low seniority employee being told as he was leaving friday nite, "don't show up on monday". he had no idea this was coming. why didn't anyone(the local) notify these guys this was coming ahead of time?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
i watched a low seniority employee being told as he was leaving friday nite, "don't show up on monday". he had no idea this was coming. why didn't anyone(the local) notify these guys this was coming ahead of time?

They can't do that up here to my knowledge. If you worked Friday, and you worked 30 working days as a seasonal, technically you are now hired on permanent becuase you worked one day in the new year.

In our hub, the big thing was laying off the seasonals for Friday, Jan 2nd, and the ones they were keeping permanent they asked to come in Monday. Therefore their seasonal working days are void and null and they were rehired fresh and new.

I'm sure 705Red or someone will jump in and correct me :p

705red

Browncafe Steward
Sleeve no were in the original post did he say that the "lower seniority employee" was a seasonal. From his post i gather that a low seniority employee was laid off, not sure what his/her job was so its hard to answer the original question.

Cory can you explain in further detail?

Sleeve, do you think that i just troll around looking for your posts? I have tried explaining to you in another thread the correct language definition in the contract. If you would rather just mis-interpret things your way that's fine, just do not give out bad/misinformation please. Or take the time to understand and let us teach you the right way, like others have helped us to get to be as knowledgeable as we are. its free and doesnt cost you a thing but the rewards of knowing your contract are priceless!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve no were in the original post did he say that the "lower seniority employee" was a seasonal. From his post i gather that a low seniority employee was laid off, not sure what his/her job was so its hard to answer the original question.

Cory can you explain in further detail?

Sleeve, do you think that i just troll around looking for your posts? I have tried explaining to you in another thread the correct language definition in the contract. If you would rather just mis-interpret things your way that's fine, just do not give out bad/misinformation please. Or take the time to understand and let us teach you the right way, like others have helped us to get to be as knowledgeable as we are. its free and doesnt cost you a thing but the rewards of knowing your contract are priceless!

And once again, your response is priceless. No where did I mention, nor did the thread author mention if this employee was seasonal or not. Obviously we don't know. I was more or less digging for more detail as well.

It is plausible that this person was hired during the seasonal months per their local supplement if they are "low seniority" and cooincidently laid off on Friday and not making the 1st of the year. I am not assuming that, but that's the way it sounds.

P.S. this is my 8th year, I'm a full-time employee and have been posting on this board since 2003.

705red

Browncafe Steward
And once again, your response is priceless. No where did I mention, nor did the thread author mention if this employee was seasonal or not. Obviously we don't know. I was more or less digging for more detail as well.

Its obvious you know how to type! Can you read? If so read post number 2 in this thread which is your post! If its so obvious why did you reply as you did? Read below this is your post #2!

They can't do that up here to my knowledge. If you worked Friday, and you worked 30 working days as a seasonal, technically you are now hired on permanent becuase you worked one day in the new year.

In our hub, the big thing was laying off the seasonals for Friday, Jan 2nd, and the ones they were keeping permanent they asked to come in Monday. Therefore their seasonal working days are void and null and they were rehired fresh and new.

It is plausible that this person was hired during the seasonal months per their local supplement if they are "low seniority" and cooincidently laid off on Friday and not making the 1st of the year. I am not assuming that, but that's the way it sounds.

What happens when you assume? And without more info you would be assuming! And there is that seasonal word again that you said he wasn't talking about!

P.S. this is my 8th year, I'm a full-time employee and have been posting on this board since 2003.
Why did you re-register under a different user? I have been here for several years all under my original user profile user name, with nothing to hide! Wow a whole 8 years with the company, can you ever forgive me your royal highness?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Why did you re-register under a different user? I have been here for several years all under my original user profile user name, with nothing to hide! Wow a whole 8 years with the company, you ever forgive me your royal highness?

Show me where he wasn't talking about seasonalt ??? Seems you "know" everything without being informed.

I made an assumption in hopes that the author would correct me if I was wrong. 90% of cases of layoff on Dec 29-31 are SEASONAL EVEN WITH THE ECONOMY.....man you cannot take a quick joke/jab, take me out of context in over-compensation ....what is next?

705red

Browncafe Steward

These are your words typed by you and not me! He wasnt talking about seasonal in one and now he is talking about seasonal, which is it?

Show me where he wasn't talking about seasonalt ??? Seems you "know" everything without being informed.

I made an assumption in hopes that the author would correct me if I was wrong. 90% of cases of layoff on Dec 29-31 are SEASONAL EVEN WITH THE ECONOMY.....man you cannot take a quick joke/jab, take me out of context in over-compensation ....what is next?

Please show me were i took you out of context! Your obviously talking nonsense of which you have no idea about! And its not the first time you have spoken on something that you yourself have no knowledge of!

What were your previous screen names? Maybe that would help me better understand you!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I agree, we did.

But after all of that - all-knowing 705red cannot answer the simple question the thread author asked: Why didn't the local notify the employee of the layoff? Perhaps because that employee was se.......n/m ;)
The local does not notify you of the layoff, its the companies responsibility to notify the employee. The local will look into the lay off to insure that the employee is able to bump in to a lower position, as in 2 ptime positions, 22.3, porter jobs.

Have you ever read your fing contract?

Seriously what other user names have you used to post under?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The local does not notify you of the layoff, its the companies responsibility to notify the employee. The local will look into the lay off to insure that the employee is able to bump in to a lower position, as in 2 ptime positions, 22.3, porter jobs.

Have you ever read your fing contract?

Seriously what other user names have you used to post under?

Overpaid Union Thug

Well, Corycar7 never said if the employee in question was part-time or full-time or their classification. That's why I'm amazed the thread developed the way it has. The only clue as to what the job might be was when he said that the guy was told not to show up Monday on his way out Friday night. That narrows it down a tad but not enough. There just isn't enough information.

gypsy mcgee

Wow, hijacked is right! Anyway, no not seasonal employee, regular p/t. But him and I now know of several others too with less than 2 years layed off.

smf0605

Well, Corycar7 never said if the employee in question was part-time or full-time or their classification. That's why I'm amazed the thread developed the way it has. The only clue as to what the job might be was when he said that the guy was told not to show up Monday on his way out Friday night. That narrows it down a tad but not enough. There just isn't enough information.

He didn't say if they were pt or ft - but he did say he was a low seniority employee; which means he wouldn't be a seasonal because seasonals don't gain seniority during the free period.

jennie

The seasonals are there to make a buck, like us all. Then, think they are going to get steady work......?? Which, they have to KNOW, the ones that have been there deserve it more, right?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Its the same line of BS they give the driver helpers during orientation. They tell them if they work hard, they will be considered for rehire inside the building. I've never met one that did.

There are no guarantees at UPS unless you are permanent, and even then they can still twist the words of the contract in their favor. It is up to their local union to make sure the layoff was legit and they are the first ones to be called back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Its the same line of BS they give the driver helpers during orientation. They tell them if they work hard, they will be considered for rehire inside the building. I've never met one that did.
I have had 3 of my helpers get hired. It didn't happen right after Peak but within 6 months. It's not BS--if they work hard, show up ready to rock and roll, they greatly improve their chances. Of course, a strong recommendation from the driver doesn't hurt!

On the other hand, I have had some helpers who I wouldn't want to clean out my cat's litter box as they would probably screw that up.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wow, hijacked is right! Anyway, no not seasonal employee, regular p/t. But him and I now know of several others too with less than 2 years layed off.

So your answer is (again, trying to avoid the hi-jacking any further) - the local doesn't give a rats ass, other than if the person laid-off questions it, the local *Should* attempt to make accomodations if there are less seniority workers still working while your friend is laid off.