Layoffs

TTown Brown

Wanted to get some information on what to expect on layoffs as our center just laid off 10 of us with the possibility of more. Any ideas on how long this may last and if there is any other work that I could do besides double shifting to get my 8 hours as I would like to get some OT if possible. Thanks for the input.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Wanted to get some information on what to expect on layoffs as our center just laid off 10 of us with the possibility of more. Any ideas on how long this may last and if there is any other work that I could do besides double shifting to get my 8 hours as I would like to get some OT if possible. Thanks for the input.
It sometimes lasts until March or April until vacations start. At least for the bottom portion of those laid off.

Volume this time of year is usually low and these layoffs usually happen every year.

Not much you can do except bump to inside and double shift to keep insurance, pension payments and make some money.

Just let them know you want as many hours as you can get inside. Let them know you are available to run airs, bulk stops etc.

Into March, some of you should start trickling back to packages.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Obviously every operation/center is different, but I highly doubt you'll be allowed to get OT as a laid off driver working inside. They absolutely owe you your 8 hour guarantee while staying within the guidelines of your local's supplements language on taking your lunch break.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Obviously every operation/center is different, but I highly doubt you'll be allowed to get OT as a laid off driver working inside. They absolutely owe you your 8 hour guarantee while staying within the guidelines of your local's supplements language on taking your lunch break.
I agree on the OT unless an unforeseen issue arises. But this will probably be a rare instance.

In the Central, you are only guaranteed 7 hours if you bump 2 part timers.

Overpaid Union Thug

Depends on your supplement but in mine (Southern) I could work inside to get my 8 hours. The problem here is we only have a reload and preload. In the past I've seen a laid off driver work preload/deliver air, run a PM Air Route and then finish up on reload, or just work one of those jobs separately without getting 8 hours. But that is rare and it was only day by day lay offs. We haven't done an actual long term layoff in decades. Nowadays the sup just goes down the seniority list and gives people the day off (option days if they have them) and I can't remember the last time that was done with a driver, or drivers, still left in limbo. I'm sure my building would lay drivers off if we were a bigger building with a noonday and/or more staffing options for laid off drivers.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If he is offered work on the inside and refuses he would be unable to collect unemployment.
Not in the Central. We do not have to bump 2 part timers if we do not want to and it would not affect our unemployment.

We would not have insurance for the week though if we were unemployed for the entire week. And the same for each subsequent week we did not have any compensible time.

TTown Brown

Not in the Central. We do not have to bump 2 part timers if we do not want to and it would not affect our unemployment.

We would not have insurance for the week though if we were unemployed for the entire week. And the same for each subsequent week we did not have any compensible time.
I did call the Unemployment Commission and they told me that if you worked more than 32 hours you would still be considered to have Full Time employment and not eligible even with the reduced wages. I was wondering if I did one shift and filed if that would work or if UPS would say that I declined the opportunity to work? Thanks for all the advice and help.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I did call the Unemployment Commission and they told me that if you worked more than 32 hours you would still be considered to have Full Time employment and not eligible even with the reduced wages. I was wondering if I did one shift and filed if that would work or if UPS would say that I declined the opportunity to work? Thanks for all the advice and help.
You may only bump 1 part time employee if you want to. You do not have to bump 2. At the 3 1/2 hour guarantee, that is 17.5 hours, well under the 32.

Unemployment should make up the difference between the pay at 17.5 hours and the max weekly unemployment benefit. UPS cannot force you to work a split shift to avoid paying unemployment. You may elect to work a split shift and get a 7 hour daily guarantee

I do believe that you would make more money bumping 2 part timers though.

Central Region Supplement

Article 3

Section 6

Laid-off, full-time seniority employees, in the order of their seniority,
may elect to take the work of one (1) or two (2) part-time
employees, for the duration of the layoff, provided they have more
total Company seniority. In such cases, the full-time employees
shall be guaranteed a minimum of three and one-half (3 1/2) hours
work at the prevailing rate of pay for the classification of work
he/she performs, or the rate of pay per Article 41, Section 3, which
ever rate is higher, in addition to all fringe benefits. Employees who
have not completed progression shall be paid in accordance with the
progression scale in Article 41, Section 3 or their prevailing inside
rate whichever is higher. Article 40 employees will be paid in accordance
with Article 40, Section 6. If a full-time employee bumps
two part-time employees, said full-time employee shall receive
time-and-one-half after eight (8) hours of work. After thirty (30)
working days in a ninety (90) calendar day period under this provision,
a full-time employee may elect to bump the least senior fulltime
employee in his/her building, excluding automotive, maintenance
mechanics and feeder drivers, and have up to thirty (30) calendar
days to qualify for said full-time position. If a laid-off, fulltime
employee elects to take a layoff rather than exercise his/her
right to displace a part-time employee, he/she shall be considered a
laid-off employee for lack of work for the purpose of unemployment
compensation.

undies

Make sure other buildings or centers are not still using part time, cover drivers. If they are, you can file to be paid for that time. You should always be offered work before any part timer, even if it's in anther building. Whether you're willing to make the drive to keep working, is up to you.

Overpaid Union Thug

If it's just air, I don't think there's a case there. Definitely for ground deliveries and pick ups.

I don't see why not. Seems like a laid off full-time driver should be able to bump a TCD (or an air driver for that matter) off air to get, or help get, their guaranteed 8 hours. Plus, many of us full-timers in certain regions get our pay cut back to what our "inside rate" would be had we stayed inside after 7 days of being laid off. Well, many of us were topped out air drivers in addition to TCDs prior to becoming full-time drivers. We should be able to bump back into air and at least get the current top out for air driving instead of having to go inside at a lower rate. That's how I look at it anyway.

If it's just air, I don't think there's a case there. Definitely for ground deliveries and pick ups.
I do ground deliveries and pick ups while FT drivers are laid off. Has to be 8 hours of work before you can file. I always punch out early to avoid that situation. I also have not ran any air in the AM since January so the laid off drivers can get a few extra hours in.

bumped

Why would a healthy young man refuse work while on lay off?

In my less seniority years I didn't bump back to part time when laid off from driving. I took the layoff, the unemployment, and laid on the couch watching the snow fall. I was single with no kids, and knew I'd be laid off and had enough money for it.