Laziness? Unfamiliar? Or am I an butthole?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
UPS's position has always been that no one Union part-timer performing package handler work should be employed at UPS for more than 4 years.
That's why UPS always tries to hire college students.
It is the Union that wants P/T to work longer than 4 years.
Do they entertain the idea of a pt college grad going to work for the company or once the degree is received gtfo??

oldngray

nowhere special
Yes .. that's the whole premise behind college employees..
funny-poetry-5.jpg

HBGPreloader

Hard work and sweat aren't bad things.
However, if you're looking to make a career of UPS, you might want to follow your coworkers advice because, as others stated, it's a marathon and your body needs to hold together for another 30+ years.

D

Deleted

Hey guys and gals!
Been lurking on Browncafe for a while but this is my first post.
Let me start by saying that I'm still relatively new to UPS (6 months) and work the preload shift. I can honestly say that I love my job and most of the people I work with. I'm in my 20s, have a wife and child in school. I more or less started to work at UPS to help get in shape and make some extra pocket change (recently went through a MAJOR career shift and focus is now on my wife's endevours).
As far as I can tell, especially reading on how other hubs operate, I can tell that our hub is pretty cool. Our Supervisors are awesome, upper managemt is legit (although I know our SUPs catch the stank), union stewards are good, the shift always seems to run smooth, and most of us have a good time while we do it. Safety is encouraged everyday.
Now for the not so good...
This is my first Union job. I was origionally born and raised in a Union city and my Grandpa was a HUGE UAW member/supporter. I can understand and completely respect what Unions have done for America. Please don't get me wrong or think I'm a union hater.
So...with that said, I'll cut to the chase.
In my hub, which like I said, is really lax compared to most (from what I've read about on here), the only people that seem to be causing issues and problems are the super gung-ho union members.
I keep being told by a select few to "stop working so hard, you don't get paid by the package", "better find a buddy to put that bulk up, it'll probably take more time", "just leave it"...all sorts of stuff. I shrug it off and chug on but I'm wondering if this is the same everywhere.
I understand plateauing or getting burned out on a job but it seems that these folks are intentionally being :censored2:s just to be :censored2:s. My biggest fear is that this ISN'T what my Grandpa would imagine.
Which brings me to my most important question...
Am I an :censored2: for thinking this way?
(Seriously)

This is what you need to understand. When we are young, we feel indestructible. We go to work, operate at 100 miles an hour. Those who work around you see new hires come in acting the same way. But since they've been around, they've seen how injured workers are treated. They've also seen the bad shape that some retirees leave in. At the end of the day, we just want you to someday be able to carry your grandchildren without any pain

atronatomic

Thanks for the advise everyone! This weekend I had beers with a co-worker who has been with the company 15 years, he definitely helped drive the "marathon not a race" home for me. He also confirmed that most of our die hard unionists (in our hub, no disrespect to anyone else's) show up to work for-- 1. The benefits-- 2. To make our supervisors miserable...nothing else really haha.
For now I suppose I'll stick with the game plan...keep my head down and work hard (probably ask for more help with over 70s to save the body) , respect everyone in the building but try to stick around other motivated people.
Speaking of over 70s...HOLY bulk the last few weeks! Grills, patio furniture, mud tires with the rim...stuffs crazy! I keep hearing that bulk never was so heavy in the past! Bring it on I suppose!

Dr.Brownz

I hhelot yo a certairightxtent. BUT isn't free health insurance for one AND their family kind of a reward? Or help with college funding? Correct me if I'm wrong (seriously), but I've heard that management can't give you a raise even if they wanted to because of "the contract". I wish more around here was based off of work ethic rather than seniority.
What would you like to see us rewarded with? What would be fair for both us and "them"?

Lol youve been at ups 6 months and you don't know the contract? Maybe you should read the contract

I knew all this :censored2: within my first month at ups dude; if you want to make itong term you need to know the contract;

You atleast know the contract says you can demand help for over 70s right???

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
I say do a good job, but don't destroy yourself in the process. If you're going to be here for a long time then you should try and have as many easy days as you can because when you have bad days they seem to be REALLY bad days here at UPS.

atronatomic

Lol youve been at ups 6 months and you don't know the contract? Maybe you should read the contract

I knew all this :censored2: within my first month at ups dude; if you want to make itong term you need to know the contract;

You atleast know the contract says you can demand help for over 70s right???

That's awesome, sounds like you're a real "go getter" with all that reading. :p
Yes, I've read through some of the contract but don't have it memorized. I haven't had any issues yet where I've needed to complain and go running to the contract for help.
Yes, I know I can "demand help with over 70s" (most days I'm a bulk runner) but don't really need help with a 90lb package haha. If I asked for help with every over 70, bulk would be sitting around until 10:30am everyday.

atronatomic

Go ahead and keep working "hard"

When you get Injured because you worked so hard ups will do everything it can to get rid of you

Why does everybody that works "hard" have to get injured? It is possible to work "hard" AND smart, isn't it? I've worked jobs WAY "hard"er, faster paced, and physically demanding than UPS. This isn't really that bad haha (just talking preload, I'm not sure what goes on during the other shifts and I know drivers have, by far, the most demanding jobs).