Lazy Coworkers and the upcoming peak season

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Ok. I'll bite.
@ChickenLegs. We DO owe him, as well as anyone else, the respect they deserve for signing their name on the dotted line with the knowledge that there is a possibility that it could result in death. Whether you or anyone agrees with the war or not, the LEAST we can do is give them THAT respect. Rant over.
No. I did not ask him to sign up, therefor I do not owe him. If he was drafted, I would owe him (by proxy of Uncle Sam FORCING him).

By the way I am thankful and greatful. I do not owe him anything for what he's done though.

oldngray

nowhere special
Refusing to follow directions of a sup....is NOT working as directed!

Just be a good little mindless slave and follow instructions - regardless of how stupid that is
train-wreck-o.gif

tacken

There are way to many lazy drivers.They know they will get help at the end of the day so why work hard? And you cant say know to helping them, you have to work as directed.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Someone said it best, you're not at war anymore. Just work until they tell you to go home. If you're at war with anyone, it should be your management team. Not your brothers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not your job to discipline coworkers. I doubt if it 80% but 1 or 2 bad workers can have a contagious effect. The hub I work at the sups will pick an hourly to just stand there and watch while the sup does the work. Call it training. Training a 25 year seniority employee in dumping tote boxes of smalls into the hopper. I call it poor leadership.
One if the best unloaders for years turned into the worst. Why? He refused to do more work than the worst unloaded.

tacken

Does working hard at UPS get rewarded? Does being lazy get rewarded? I say the latter.To many hard working folks have turned to the lazy side.

J

jibbs

Thought there would be a better solution than to just conform to being lazy. Maybe this is a morale problem.

I think it's more of a problem of you trying to set the bar for everyone else. "A fair day's work for a fair day's pay" can be interpreted in more ways than one, and that's truthfully, contractually all an employee is required to give UPS. You want to do more? Awesome, keep it up. You shouldn't be surprised when others aren't willing to go the extra mile, though, and as such, you really shouldn't go the extra mile to do their work for them.

Does working hard at UPS get rewarded? Does being lazy get rewarded? I say the latter.To many hard working folks have turned to the lazy side.

Depends on what you consider a reward, I suppose...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Working hard at ups gets rewarded with more work.

I wouldn't automatically call the rest lazy. Learning that you need to pace yourself for this 35+ year marathon does not make you lazy.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I'm a marine corps vet and now work in the hub. I have a great work ethic and so does my friend who works with me. Guess who doesn't? 80% of the rest of my coworkers on the sort. Some will just stand there and let the belt get stacked and jam the unloaders belt until either our sup comes over there or he sends me or my friend over to basically do their work for them. When I go help them theyd rather watch me do it than do it themselves and they end up walking off doing only god knows what. I don't even understand how this even goes the way it goes and I can forsee me cussing these people when peak season comes around and I'm irritable.

Is there anyone I can talk to about these so called coworkers?
Welcome to the union.
You guys are getting petty and way off topic.
Welcome to the BrownCafe.