Lazy Coworkers and the upcoming peak season

aiian

Truth be told if you're going to keep on UPSin' you're gonna come across all sorts of :censored2:bag 'coworkers' many of them will even be proud of it.

Some will disagree but it's just part of being a Teamster... gift and a curse and all that.

Best not pay them any attention.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I'm a marine corps vet and now work in the hub. I have a great work ethic and so does my friend who works with me. Guess who doesn't? 80% of the rest of my coworkers on the sort. Some will just stand there and let the belt get stacked and jam the unloaders belt until either our sup comes over there or he sends me or my friend over to basically do their work for them. When I go help them theyd rather watch me do it than do it themselves and they end up walking off doing only god knows what. I don't even understand how this even goes the way it goes and I can forsee me cussing these people when peak season comes around and I'm irritable.

Is there anyone I can talk to about these so called coworkers?
ROFLa.gif
ROFLb.gif

A Troll wouldn't claim military experience....

When a DD214 is readily available.

-Bug-
  • Date and place of entry into active duty
  • Home address at time of entry
  • Date and place of release from active duty
  • Home address after separation
  • Last duty assignment and rank
  • Military job specialty
  • Military education
  • Decorations, medals, badges, citations and campaign awards received
  • Total creditable service
  • Foreign service credited
  • Separation information (date and type of separation, character of service, authority and reason for separation and separation and reenlistment eligibility codes)
The report of separation form issued in most recent years is the DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. Before January 1, 1950, several similar forms were used by the military services, including the WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD and the NAVCG 553.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm a marine corps vet and now work in the hub. I have a great work ethic and so does my friend who works with me. Guess who doesn't? 80% of the rest of my coworkers on the sort. Some will just stand there and let the belt get stacked and jam the unloaders belt until either our sup comes over there or he sends me or my friend over to basically do their work for them. When I go help them theyd rather watch me do it than do it themselves and they end up walking off doing only god knows what. I don't even understand how this even goes the way it goes and I can forsee me cussing these people when peak season comes around and I'm irritable.

Is there anyone I can talk to about these so called coworkers?

Welcome to Generation Me.

Resident know-it-all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A Troll wouldn't claim military experience....

When a DD214 is readily available.

-Bug-

Do you have any idea how much personal information is on a DD 214? He or any other vet would be an idiot if they posted it here.

The OP has a valid point---kids today are lazy.

2 years of compulsory service for anyone 18 or older not going to college would do these kids a world of good.

I did chuckle when he seriously asked who he could report them to.

Resident know-it-all.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I saw a bunch of different types of employees in my 38 year career bumpin' off boxes. A lot of hard workers and a lot of scumbags. My advice would be to find your happy place. Your exemplary work habits will not go unnoticed. You sound like you're on a fast track to management, if that's what you want. When you put on that tie, you can tell the scofflaws and dirtbags to drop and give you 20! hoo-rah!

J

jibbs

....scofflaws?

[edit: nvm, thought you were over here makin' up words. Google set it straight, though.]

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You think I'm going over to help all the lazy people on my own? No way. I help the people who legitimately need help on my own. Either me or my friend always have to go help the lazy per supes.
Maybe if you looked at it like you were helping the supes, instead of the perceived lazy, it would make you feel better?

In the end, however you make your peace with it, you are being paid by the hour to move packages at a pace you are comfortable with.

When I was young, dumb and invincible I didn't realize that a career at UPS is a marathon and not a sprint.
28 years later, I am feeling the residual effects of those days.

OntCombo63

Thank you for your service.

Now that being said you're gonna meet all kinds of jerks at ups management and non management. Best advice is to focus on yourself do your job to the best of your abilities, if you worry about all the people you consider lazy you're just going to mentally friend yourself. Not everyone takes pride in working some will downright act as if the work we do is beneath them.

browntroll

i had a rookie today that was just watching me take out bulk/irregs by myself while he was smoking and on his phone, he waits till im done
then goes to spa station. i started cussing him out told him next time he better help me with irregs or im gonna make his job as hard as i can
whenever i see him, he ended up apologizing and unloading for me. he was sent to help me out by a sup but decides its ok to take a little break when
he sees me doing it. i decided to be a dick when ppl are gonna do the same to me i dont care if you are management or union. i work at my own pace which
might be faster then most but i dont expect everyone to do the same but i would appreciate it if they at least tried.

By The Book

The only thing I can think of is to just keep referring self motivated hard working pounders just like me
We had this young strong buck driver in our building who always compared how good he was compared to the other 80%. I overheard him one day telling a full time sup that they should clone him and get rid of the other 80%. Fast forward to today and in the last 4 years he has been on disability 6 times. He is 8 years younger than me and I haven't been on disability in 20 years. You only have one back, so work safe if you want to last.

RealPerson

Atleast late 40's
Why are you working faster than the Normal 80%?
The union likes the 80%, thus UPS has to hire more people to pay more dues.

Listen you as Superman will only last so many years before UPS breaks you down...
The More you DO, the More they give you. Why would a Supervisor go create conflict telling someone slower to speed up, when they can tell you and you go do it????

DO a Fair days work for a Fairs days pay. Looks like you are doing more than Fair if you are working harder than the Majority of the building.....

Trust me I USE to me one of the Superman Guys, in the end when you have to have Surgeries(S), and barely can get out of bed, and UPS is still expecting you to perform your Superman status, you will be on here telling the new young kids, this exact thing.
UPS doe NOT care about you, there is another one to come take your place!

OPTION3

i had a rookie today that was just watching me take out bulk/irregs by myself while he was smoking and on his phone, he waits till im done
then goes to spa station. i started cussing him out told him next time he better help me with irregs or im gonna make his job as hard as i can
whenever i see him, he ended up apologizing and unloading for me. he was sent to help me out by a sup but decides its ok to take a little break when
he sees me doing it. i decided to be a dick when ppl are gonna do the same to me i dont care if you are management or union. i work at my own pace which
might be faster then most but i dont expect everyone to do the same but i would appreciate it if they at least tried.
I would LOVE to work next to you.....You could do my share TOO

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'd rather work with someone lazy but willing to help others, than a fast-working but extremely selfish me-ster who doesn't help anyone else, ever. We've got a few of them..they're pieces of work.