Lazy Coworkers and the upcoming peak season

Integrity

Binge Poster
I'm a marine corps vet and now work in the hub. I have a great work ethic and so does my friend who works with me. Guess who doesn't? 80% of the rest of my coworkers on the sort. Some will just stand there and let the belt get stacked and jam the unloaders belt until either our sup comes over there or he sends me or my friend over to basically do their work for them. When I go help them theyd rather watch me do it than do it themselves and they end up walking off doing only god knows what. I don't even understand how this even goes the way it goes and I can forsee me cussing these people when peak season comes around and I'm irritable.

Is there anyone I can talk to about these so called coworkers?
betterfasterstronger,

How long have you been with UPS?

A part-time supervisor was rewarding his great workers, like yourself, with easier less abusive to the body jobs.

His full-time supervisor was not happy with this.

The full-time supervisor said this to him, and I quote: "If you don't think you are going to ride the backs of your good workers then you have no future here"

It is my opinion that anyone doing this kind of work needs to work smart and not hard.

This concept is actually one that I learned through UPS safety training.

It is not smart to work as hard as you can at all times, the job is just to physically demanding.

Reasonable effort is all that is really required. Safety first.

Sincerely,
I

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
betterfasterstronger,

How long have you been with UPS?

A part-time supervisor was rewarding his great workers, like yourself, with easier less abusive to the body jobs.

His full-time supervisor was not happy with this.

The full-time supervisor said this to him, and I quote: "If you don't think you are going to ride the backs of your good workers then you have no future here"

It is my opinion that anyone doing this kind of work needs to work smart and not hard.

This concept is actually one that I learned through UPS safety training.

It is not smart to work as hard as you can at all times, the job is just to physically demanding.

Reasonable effort is all that is really required. Safety first.

Sincerely,
I

I bet if Integrity posted the same message a fourth time, it would carry more weight.

Sent using a Potato

browntroll

I would LOVE to work next to you.....You could do my share TOO
i only make exception if you are a hot chick, so lets just say i dont make any exceptions at my job.
who am i kidding even if it was a chick i wouldnt make an exception this jobs made into a dick.

OPTION3

i only make exception if you are a hot chick, so lets just say i dont make any exceptions at my job.
who am i kidding even if it was a chick i wouldnt make an exception this jobs made into a dick.
only towards type “a” a-holes....hurry up..get it done....there are a dozen more for you on my car as soon as your finished

purplesky

I'm a marine corps vet and now work in the hub. I have a great work ethic and so does my friend who works with me. Guess who doesn't? 80% of the rest of my coworkers on the sort. Some will just stand there and let the belt get stacked and jam the unloaders belt until either our sup comes over there or he sends me or my friend over to basically do their work for them. When I go help them theyd rather watch me do it than do it themselves and they end up walking off doing only god knows what. I don't even understand how this even goes the way it goes and I can forsee me cussing these people when peak season comes around and I'm irritable.

Hey! I have a great idea. Just tell UPS management to terminate all your slow coworkers(80% who aren't studs like you) and then hold a UPS job fair at the hub. AND HIRE A BUNCH OF EX MARINES WITH A GREAT WORK ETHIC!

At about $12hr people will line up for miles to work like a stud ex-marine at your UPS hub? Sure?

You could even hold a Marine style boot camp at the UPS orientation or yell in their face like a Marine during the walking tour of the hub to weed out all the weak job applicants. Make them cry for $10hr. Part time.

Sound like a plan stud? Thanks for your service? Now get over yourself.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience as you, betterfasterstronger, and might be able to offer a solution in the form of a lengthy autobiographical anecdote. Call it a millenial response.

About two years ago, I was newly hired and recognized for my work ethic and performance (12-2000pph, no missorts) etc. learned all the jobs blahblah and usually switched between unload and sort. i.e. worked like crazy. It wasn't a matter of money-per-calorie or fair day's anything for anything; it was the best of my ability, all the time, doing anything, for any or no reward. I'm not puffing my chest or putting down people who don't do this. It's an empirically stupid and vain way of conducting one's affairs. Flat. However, I feel as though you can relate to this sort of motivation more than to some of the other more 'biological imperative' geared responses.

Anyway, when in the sort aisle I would always be put on the heaviest slide, usually by myself. (Hard work earns more hard work, as I'm sure you're aware of by now.) After weeks of waking up with my knuckles locked painfully at 90 degrees I requested I not be put on the slide (which is the equivalent of sorting 2-3 people on top of your assigned sorter) every day, and after getting answers like I should enjoy it because it's a challenge (which was really to say nobody else was willing to do it, though I did enjoy the challenge), I told my supervisor that if, the next day, I was assigned the slide, I would deliberately fail to work as directed because it would be a direct hazard to my health, and further I would seek a permanent transfer to the unload if I was not given at least one or two days off the slide per week, which is about the frequency at which I actually do the slide now. I got more than what I wanted. What's more is during those weeks I made a note of all the sorters who went out of their way to help me, and those who didn't. Those who didn't get little from me today.

Supervisors are told to take advantage of high performers, and the more minimalist work ethics will naturally ride your coattails, but high performers don't often enough use their value as leverage because of the culture of intimidation and subordination fostered at UPS. Supervisors have to put on a front like you are more losable than you are a commodity, but this isn't the case. The truth is Brown gets a ton of new hires every single week, and/because most of them are pure chaff and get fired or quit the same week. People like you don't come around very often, and when you do, supes are torn between milking you for everything you've got and risking you quitting. It's like landing a date who's too pretty for them and overcompensating by being a jerk. Supervisors, however, will go out of their way to prevent more chaff from being pumped through their area, but they need a gentle reminder of the limits of their good fortune. Gentle. Don't strut like you're big mister cheese or fail to work as directed or refuse to help someone, just let it be known you are, in fact, a losable commodity and make a note of coworkers who take advantage of you. Then cut the cord when doable without risking termination. I've failed to work as directed, arms crossed, and got what I wanted. I don't suggest you be so bold, but you have more power than you are led to believe you do, and it doesn't require not working as hard as I'm sure a Marine always wants to in order to use it.

The key thing to remember for UPS is that performance does not make you a superman, your attitude does. Be a superman in more ways than physical and you will most likely get at least some of what you want. Make no mistake, you'll still get most of the smile* you don't want because of lazy or senior coworkers, but you'll get more benefits. For instance, my unload supervisor usually gave me an extra fifteen or twenty minutes over my punch out time whenever I unloaded. (Something about needing two sorters ;) ). I still got stuck in crap loads, but I got some extra $ for it.

I had a similar experience as you, betterfasterstronger, and might be able to offer a solution in the form of a lengthy autobiographical anecdote. Call it a millenial response.

About two years ago, I was newly hired and recognized for my work ethic and performance (12-2000pph, no missorts) etc. learned all the jobs blahblah and usually switched between unload and sort. i.e. worked like crazy. It wasn't a matter of money-per-calorie or fair day's anything for anything; it was the best of my ability, all the time, doing anything, for any or no reward. I'm not puffing my chest or putting down people who don't do this. It's an empirically stupid and vain way of conducting one's affairs. Flat. However, I feel as though you can relate to this sort of motivation more than to some of the other more 'biological imperative' geared responses.

Anyway, when in the sort aisle I would always be put on the heaviest slide, usually by myself. (Hard work earns more hard work, as I'm sure you're aware of by now.) After weeks of waking up with my knuckles locked painfully at 90 degrees I requested I not be put on the slide (which is the equivalent of sorting 2-3 people on top of your assigned sorter) every day, and after getting answers like I should enjoy it because it's a challenge (which was really to say nobody else was willing to do it, though I did enjoy the challenge), I told my supervisor that if, the next day, I was assigned the slide, I would deliberately fail to work as directed because it would be a direct hazard to my health, and further I would seek a permanent transfer to the unload if I was not given at least one or two days off the slide per week, which is about the frequency at which I actually do the slide now. I got more than what I wanted. What's more is during those weeks I made a note of all the sorters who went out of their way to help me, and those who didn't. Those who didn't get little from me today.

Supervisors are told to take advantage of high performers, and the more minimalist work ethics will naturally ride your coattails, but high performers don't often enough use their value as leverage because of the culture of intimidation and subordination fostered at UPS. Supervisors have to put on a front like you are more losable than you are a commodity, but this isn't the case. The truth is Brown gets a ton of new hires every single week, and/because most of them are pure chaff and get fired or quit the same week. People like you don't come around very often, and when you do, supes are torn between milking you for everything you've got and risking you quitting. It's like landing a date who's too pretty for them and overcompensating by being a jerk. Supervisors, however, will go out of their way to prevent more chaff from being pumped through their area, but they need a gentle reminder of the limits of their good fortune. Gentle. Don't strut like you're big mister cheese or fail to work as directed or refuse to help someone, just let it be known you are, in fact, a losable commodity and make a note of coworkers who take advantage of you. Then cut the cord when doable without risking termination. I've failed to work as directed, arms crossed, and got what I wanted. I don't suggest you be so bold, but you have more power than you are led to believe you do, and it doesn't require not working as hard as I'm sure a Marine always wants to in order to use it.

The key thing to remember for UPS is that performance does not make you a superman, your attitude does. Be a superman in more ways than physical and you will most likely get at least some of what you want. Make no mistake, you'll still get most of the smile* you don't want because of lazy or senior coworkers, but you'll get more benefits. For instance, my unload supervisor usually gave me an extra fifteen or twenty minutes over my punch out time whenever I unloaded. (Something about needing two sorters ;) ). I still got stuck in crap loads, but I got some extra $ for it.
Wut? WHAT? holy cow.

J

jibbs

^^That wasn't an anecdote, suede, that's a friend*in' novella.

Awesome post, though. I even read the whole thing, swear to God I did. Could've used some dumbed down versions of the bigger words in the beginning, but hey, I was right there with you the whole time.

[EDIT: DAMN. Apparently I'm the slowest reader on BC right now.]

wage EARNER

To the OP, don't let the D-bags drag you down to their level. I have a union steward on my shift who encourages people to go slow and she shuts the belt off just to cause jams. She, and many other union members, believe going slow will force management to hire more people. Your local and national teamsters love these type of people. They have this 'workers of the world unite' mentality, that if we all produce less for our employer, we will be rewarded with more pay and benefits.

99% of union workers have no pride in their work. They are only proud that they can 'stick it to the man' and not get fired for it. Many of your co-workers and those on this forum who claim they work hard, don't. They only think they work hard because they have been playing games for so long that management has simply given up on supervising them. And whatever little work management does get from them is now considered a full day's work. My advice to the OP is; keep working hard, learn the contract so it can't be bent against you, learn how and when to file a safety complaint with OSHA, and learn how to file a complaint with the NLRB.

To the OP, don't let the D-bags drag you down to their level. I have a union steward on my shift who encourages people to go slow and she shuts the belt off just to cause jams. She, and many other union members, believe going slow will force management to hire more people. Your local and national teamsters love these type of people. They have this 'workers of the world unite' mentality, that if we all produce less for our employer, we will be rewarded with more pay and benefits.

99% of union workers have no pride in their work. They are only proud that they can 'stick it to the man' and not get fired for it. Many of your co-workers and those on this forum who claim they work hard, don't. They only think they work hard because they have been playing games for so long that management has simply given up on supervising them. And whatever little work management does get from them is now considered a full day's work. My advice to the OP is; keep working hard, learn the contract so it can't be bent against you, learn how and when to file a safety complaint with OSHA, and learn how to file a complaint with the NLRB.
Wut?

Indecisi0n

At ease solider.

Doing a good job gets you more work. So look at it like this. You are doing a really good job which ends up in you doing your work and the work of lazy coworkers, Who da dummy now?

Don Spite

More work more hours. As long as you stay safe what's there to complain about? Unless your co-workers are doing something dangerous, they aren't your problem to worry about.

^^That wasn't an anecdote, suede, that's a friend*in' novella.
Awesome post, though. I even read the whole thing, swear to God I did. Could've used some dumbed down versions of the bigger words in the beginning, but hey, I was right there with you the whole time.

Yeah, sorry I kind of abused my first BC post ever :happy:. Glad to know others are on board with this though. Though 4U seems to not understand what anyone is saying, despite clearly being a Center Manager.

Also, wage EARNER raises a good point. Learn 'Da Rules' and who your stewards are if ever you need to complain. If you ever find you're standing up for yourself and a supervisor is giving you a hard time, just say you want to speak to a shop steward. It's like lawyering up. I think supes have the right to not pay you for that time however, and you will be on everyone's smile* list. So, use sparingly.

As far as the 'we get paid by the hour' argument is concerned, working less will almost never net you more time. Consider the supervisor's position: If there are ten people and only enough work at the end of the night to keep six, which six do you think he or she is going to keep? Supervisors know how to place the "least best" in trucks so they will finish earliest because, on the whole, dropping someone who outputs 0.4x the contractually-obligated production but costs the company 1.0x the contractually-obligated pay+seniority (raises) will improve the area's cost-production figure every second that employee is gone. In my hub, I only ever see the top 20% at the end of the night, when the operation unsurprisingly works much more fluidly. If you're on your supervisor's good graces, he or she will likely keep you around as long as there's work, especially because you're a new hire and inexpensive.

tourists24

well aren't you just a big ball of fun

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Your best option would probably be to go into management and try to change people with that hyper-masculine, military stupidity. :) Good luck.