Lead On... to the death of Expres...

DoomDoomDoom

Hey there fellow Fedexers. So I was wondering what are your takes on the current Lean On program? My station is pushing it hard! We get messages on ppd every day! And they made us have the 4 leads turned in by last night. My manager stated that his manager and then that manager's manager was giving heavy pressure on the program, and that who ever did not participate would be WROTE UP. As in getting letters! Now where does it state such nonsense in the Fedex handbook I wonder...

Oh and also, do you think the leads are being driven towards more Ground volume?

55+

Please let us know if you hear of someone getting written up for not having leads..I'd like to know..thanks

franknitty

Hey there fellow Fedexers. So I was wondering what are your takes on the current Lean On program? My station is pushing it hard! We get messages on ppd every day! And they made us have the 4 leads turned in by last night. My manager stated that his manager and then that manager's manager was giving heavy pressure on the program, and that who ever did not participate would be WROTE UP. As in getting letters! Now where does it state such nonsense in the Fedex handbook I wonder...

Oh and also, do you think the leads are being driven towards more Ground volume?

For me the Lead On program is a waste of time, so I have no intentions whatsoever to participate. Let them write me up, until they're blue in the face. As couriers we told we must hit our onroad goals of 100% everyday, and currently that's what I'm running. That being said, 100% on-road is my 1st priority, not submitting 4 sales leads per month.

thedownhillEXPRESS

This is the best "cover" memphis could come up with for the fall shift of volume to ground.
Its being pushed so your district director can look you in the eye and say they tried.
As R1a has already comfirmed, that decision has already been made.
Now you will have to sit through meeting after meeting of management pleading in an ever increasing desperate tone that we need to do more, more more,with a final capitulation coming this fall.
Lifes a stage, and so is fedex.

franknitty

This is the best "cover" memphis could come up with for the fall shift of volume to ground.
Its being pushed so your district director can look you in the eye and say they tried.
As R1a has already comfirmed, that decision has already been made.
Now you will have to sit through meeting after meeting of management pleading in an ever increasing desperate tone that we need to do more, more more,with a final capitulation coming this fall.
Lifes a stage, and so is fedex.

My Sr. manager along with the lackeys from the sales department were so animated during the meeting for the Lead On program that I thought I was watching a cartoon ! They made it seem like it is life or death for the company if the couriers fail to submit 4 sales leads. My favorite part about this program is how its not necessary to have customer contact any longer. Management is going to order a "CODE RED" on the couriers if we don't submit sales leads !

Frank: I want the truth.

Manager: You can't handle the truth !

Frank: Did you order the Code Red on me for not submitting 4 leads ?

Manager: YOU gosh darn RIGHT I ORDER THE CODE RED ! Now sign this OLCC and get the helll outta my office !

Frank: I ain't signing JACK ! You sign it ! Have a nice day. :fightings:

Last edited:

thedownhillEXPRESS

My Sr. manager along with the lackeys from the sales department were so animated during the meeting for the Lead On program that I thought I was watching a cartoon ! They made it seem like it is life or death for the company if the couriers fail to submit 4 sales leads. My favorite part about this program is how its not necessary to have customer contact any longer. Management is going to order a "CODE RED" on the couriers if we don't submit sales leads !

Frank: I want the truth.

Manager: You can't handle the truth !

Frank: Did you order the Code Red on me for not submitting 4 leads ?

Manager: YOU gosh darn RIGHT I ORDER THE CODE RED ! Now sign this OLCC and get the helll outta my office !

we got the same dog and pony show.
It was surreal, we all looked around at each other like "are they for real?"
Felt like we were in the movie "The Truman Show"!!
They could have at least sent them for a couple acting classes you would think.

jmeti000

We werent told anything like what you guys are hearing...for us it was all completely voluntary. Sure, they gave us a sob story about volume tanking, the company needing help, bla bla bla, but we arent getting olcc's or anything if we dont turn in the leads.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Give them some BS leads to CYA and be on your way. Let them figure it out.

59 Dano

We werent told anything like what you guys are hearing...for us it was all completely voluntary. Sure, they gave us a sob story about volume tanking, the company needing help, bla bla bla, but we arent getting olcc's or anything if we dont turn in the leads.

That sob story is the truth. Our YTD domestic Express volume is at its 2nd lowest level since 1999, which is as far back as the published data goes.

TUT

Sort of interesting all of this:

1. Express driver knows volumes are low and change is coming.
2. Fedex tries to squeeze the turnip wherever they can to get more volume.
3. Drivers fearful of jobs, decide they don't want to assist. They know it's usually a big waste.
4. It becomes a catch 22. You aren't happy losing jobs/pay, but then you won't try whatever it may take to get it better. As if you think your are entitled to great volumes by shippers without reproach. There is no chance at more pay with less performance.

As to "Is it in the manual?", you are not in a union, they can ask you to do any legal step they like and getting leads I highly doubt a a court would deem that illegal.

You are right in the sense these leads are long shots, but also I see people giving up as well. Boat sinking, some just prepare to go down, others try to survive I suppose.

TUT

Always have to factor in the "Internet Honesty Factor" as well. But also it's very possible different places do different things, pretty much common for anyone.

jmeti000

That sob story is the truth. Our YTD domestic Express volume is at its 2nd lowest level since 1999, which is as far back as the published data goes.

Yes, that may be true, but the company needs to remember that in this economy why would anyone ship express when it costs them 3 times as much and ground will meet their needs? Im betting as the economy gets better things will change again and volumes will increase. Its all about peaks and valleys. So when I say a "sob story", i mean it, because its something that has happened in the past, is happening now, and will happen again...in fact, it happens every year for a few months after peak, like they didnt have a clue that volumes would drop as much as they did. Ever hear the expression "Never cry wolf"?

vantexan

Sort of interesting all of this:

1. Express driver knows volumes are low and change is coming.
2. Fedex tries to squeeze the turnip wherever they can to get more volume.
3. Drivers fearful of jobs, decide they don't want to assist. They know it's usually a big waste.
4. It becomes a catch 22. You aren't happy losing jobs/pay, but then you won't try whatever it may take to get it better. As if you think your are entitled to great volumes by shippers without reproach. There is no chance at more pay with less performance.

As to "Is it in the manual?", you are not in a union, they can ask you to do any legal step they like and getting leads I highly doubt a a court would deem that illegal.

You are right in the sense these leads are long shots, but also I see people giving up as well. Boat sinking, some just prepare to go down, others try to survive I suppose.

That's a fair point but after years of being screwed over do you really think we're all that enthusiastic about going above and beyond? Like our salesman recently told us, an Express courier turned in a lead that led to $100,000 in new GROUND business. If you've ever seen the movie "Flashpoint" with Kris Kristofferson, remember what was said about burying sensors that detected illegals? It was pointed out that the Border Patrolmen were being ordered to do work that would lead to many of them losing their jobs. At any rate as was mentioned things are already in motion, just sit back and watch the show.

vantexan

Yes, that may be true, but the company needs to remember that in this economy why would anyone ship express when it costs them 3 times as much and ground will meet their needs? Im betting as the economy gets better things will change again and volumes will increase. Its all about peaks and valleys. So when I say a "sob story", i mean it, because its something that has happened in the past, is happening now, and will happen again...in fact, it happens every year for a few months after peak, like they didnt have a clue that volumes would drop as much as they did. Ever hear the expression "Never cry wolf"?

When volume picks up the company will have positioned itself to maximize profit. It's a win/win for them.

TUT

That's a fair point but after years of being screwed over do you really think we're all that enthusiastic about going above and beyond?

I get that. But the answer has to be, you either need to do it or owe it to yourself to start finding employement elsewhere, not quit until you are setup with another job. If it takes schooling first, so be it. But you are selling yourself short not trying either way. It's not like any of this is "Fedex is going out of business", so it's what do you need to do for you to get yourself satisfied again.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

No, the "sob story" is not the truth. That would be your paid-in-full FedEx corporate spin on it. As Express is spiraling into it's grave, Fred is buying numerous new aircraft and additional companies in foreign countries. That is the truth, and our lower volumes are largely the result of Sales being directed to sell Ground. You are pure fertilizer.

59 Dano

Here are the avg. daily shipping volumes for domestic Express (000):

1999: 2,851
2000: 2,936
2001: 2,920
2002: 2,737
2003: 2,752
2004: 2,771
2005: 2,822
2006: 2,817
2007: 2,778
2008: 2,723
2009: 2,603