Leaders Tell FedEx CEO to Protect Middle Class Jobs

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I got the same message, and I'll be like Mary Poppins. How did your muffins turn out? Hope your kids enjoyed them. Well I'm off to work now.
Have a great day!!!
Later,

Hey Mary,

Fred is well on his way to losing the RLA provision that has kept us non-union for so long. That would be Step 1 in going Teamster, and something you said Fred would never let happen. His pocket poodle, Representative Steven Cohen, a Democrat(TN), was in "strong opposition" to the measure...what a surprise. I'll bet there were some long faces on the corporate jet headed back to Memphis. So sad!!

Those Teamster muffins are going to be especially tasty this coming year. Bye, neighbor!

Mr. Rogers

Testicular Fortitude

What's the difference between the commercial airlines and FedEx? Oh right, they're basically bankrupt, and have been in financial peril for years now...unlike FedEx. Delta and Northwest are merging with a gun at their heads, and the employees know it. I would suspect that they will eventually regret their decision to not go union.

You're like the gasbag Limbaugh, who selectively shops for "facts" that support his argument(s), conveniently ignoring other more numerous truths.

Your comment on "secrecy' belies your ignorance, because to even mention unions at FedEx has been a death sentence for many years. Even though it's illegal to suppress employees who want to discuss unions, FedEx has been intimidating wokers who dare do so by either firing them or making their work lives even more miserable than they already are.
Mr Fedex,I have to disagree with you there.I am still alive and working at Fedex hassle free.As you already know I have been involved in the union organization attempt for over 10 years.Wear a Union Now button on your shoe laces,as long as they are not provided for you by Fedex.Place a Union now button on your own pen and place in your shirt pocket.Put Union Now bumper stickers on your car.As long as its not attached to your uniform managers cannot do a thing its in POLICY AND PROCEDURE.Thats if you can find one since management doesnt want you to see how bad they have been shafting us for years.P N P is now only available online and only a manager can log on to it for you.So BEWARE Big Brother is watching you.If any one in management begins harassing you start a daily diary with all occurences,dates and witnesses.It makes great evidence in a lawsuit for harassment.Call 1 877 339 4428 and get more information about UNIONIZATION

wrecker

Perhaps in isolated areas, but where I work, most couriers fake a full hour lunch and spend at least 15 of those minutes re-sorting, doing paperwork etc. Some even do pickups off the clock and then process those same pkgs after returning from "lunch".They have collapsed so many routes that we are still very busy (and productive).

Please tell me where FedEx people are sitting for 5 hours a day. We're not mothballing package cars and feeder tractors like UPS, nor are most of us sitting on our butts. Where are you getting your info?

I'm sure not in an isolated area. Haven't been in package (courier) for a couple of years, but when I talked to fedex drivers then, many complained about the split shifts. 3 or 4 hours of morning express deliveries, long lunch, then pickups. I doubt much has changed.

If drivers refused to work off the clock, fedex wouldn't be able collapse so many routes. It only works when everyone sticks together.

Mothballing??

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm sure not in an isolated area. Haven't been in package (courier) for a couple of years, but when I talked to fedex drivers then, many complained about the split shifts. 3 or 4 hours of morning express deliveries, long lunch, then pickups. I doubt much has changed.

If drivers refused to work off the clock, fedex wouldn't be able collapse so many routes. It only works when everyone sticks together.

Mothballing??

FedEx has really tightened it up since you've been there...especially now. We are very short-staffed at my station, mainly due to collapsed routes. I've heard its the same thing at most locations. They've even taken away bottled water and coffee company-wide. Anything that can be cut back or eliminated has already been done.

As far as UPS mothballing vehicles goes, I see about 25 package cars and feeder tractors that are obviously in storage at a empty lot close to my local UPS center. All of them are too new to be retired, so I'm assuming they are being stored pending an uptick in volume.

drewed

Shankman
The rumor I got today was FDX was canceling something like 75 export flights to asia a month until further notice.... thats a bigger hit then parking tractors revenue wise...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The rumor I got today was FDX was canceling something like 75 export flights to asia a month until further notice.... thats a bigger hit then parking tractors revenue wise...

I'm not trying to put UPS down...I'm just stating what I saw. Your rumor may be true as Asia volumes are also down significantly. I talked to one of our pilots yesterday, and he said nobody had been furloughed yet, but that everyone was flying fewer trips. That would make your rumor plausible.

FedEx All the Way!

Mr Fedex,I have to disagree with you there.I am still alive and working at Fedex hassle free.As you already know I have been involved in the union organization attempt for over 10 years.Wear a Union Now button on your shoe laces,as long as they are not provided for you by Fedex.Place a Union now button on your own pen and place in your shirt pocket.Put Union Now bumper stickers on your car.As long as its not attached to your uniform managers cannot do a thing its in POLICY AND PROCEDURE.Thats if you can find one since management doesnt want you to see how bad they have been shafting us for years.P N P is now only available online and only a manager can log on to it for you.So BEWARE Big Brother is watching you.If any one in management begins harassing you start a daily diary with all occurences,dates and witnesses.It makes great evidence in a lawsuit for harassment.Call 1 877 339 4428 and get more information about UNIONIZATION

FedEx All the Way!

Hey Mary,

Fred is well on his way to losing the RLA provision that has kept us non-union for so long. That would be Step 1 in going Teamster, and something you said Fred would never let happen. His pocket poodle, Representative Steven Cohen, a Democrat(TN), was in "strong opposition" to the measure...what a surprise. I'll bet there were some long faces on the corporate jet headed back to Memphis. So sad!!

Those Teamster muffins are going to be especially tasty this coming year. Bye, neighbor!

Mr. Rogers

Dear Mr. Rogers:

Hope your having a good-day.

Unions are trouble. They breed laziness, and drain the profits from the company that could otherwise benefit us in the future when the economy does turn around. I don't think most drivers realize the scope of what might happen to you're job if FedEx goes union.

Unions when used properly do very good things for the small man. They also hurt good companies when things do not go their way.
Unions are like the lawyers or agents. They know if they want to make money they have to get top dollar for their client. How is that fair to a company that already treats the overwhelming majority of its employees fairly?
Of course there are bad managers, just like there are bad employees. They exist in both companies.

If FedEx were to become unionized, be prepared to see what happened to the Auto Industry happen here.
In case no one is seeing it; America is out of money. The hardest hit industries are those that are heavily unionized. In this ever shrinking global economy it is easier to do business overseas than here.
Sure FedEx can go Union and that may increase wages for some, increase job security for others, but how many people will need to be laid off in order to make up for the added expense?
The Unions are definitely not thinking about its members. They are thinking about themselves and the fact that their members benefit is merely a bi-product and not the primary focus.

FedEx All the Way!

Dear Testicular Fortitude,

Trying to put FedEx under NLRB instead of NLRA is nothing new.
Back in 1993, they actually got FedEx changed to NLRB. But it was only temporary. Not long afterwards, we were put back under NLRA.
Let them try again. By far, most FedEx employees want nothing to do with a stupid union, least of all, The Reamsters.
It isn't just FedEx they are after. They want WalMart and others as well.
Let them try it again, and FedEx will go before the Supreme Court at light speed and have this B.S. put away once and for all. UPS wants FedEx to have the same hemorrhoid it has... a Teamster workforce!
Wait until next year.. the GOP returns!

UPSNewbie

Back in 1993, they actually got FedEx changed to NLRB. But it was only temporary. Not long afterwards, we were put back under NLRA.
Let them try again. By far, most FedEx employees want nothing to do with a stupid union, least of all, The Reamsters.
Let them try it again, and FedEx will go before the Supreme Court at light speed and have this B.S. put away once and for all. UPS wants FedEx to have the same hemorrhoid it has... a Teamster workforce!

... Teamsters were INVITED into UPS. Take off your knee pads. You're about to wear a hole through them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Mary,

Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly and Beck would all be proud of you because you're exactly the type of person they want on their team. To think that the RLA will be reinstated by the Supreme Court isn't realistic, nor is the notion that the GOP is going to make some sort of miracle comeback.

And you're wrong about the employee base. Most do want to go union, but most are also scared because they know Fred will retaliate with job cuts if they vote Teamster.

So, you'd better take "a teaspoon of sugar to make the medicine go down", because Smith has lost this one. The RLA issue is over, and FedEx will never be reclassified under the RLA. Why? Because it was a special deal for Fred from the get-go, and it's never been legal or ethical. The 35 year scam is over. Bye, neighbor..

Sincerely,
Mr. Rogers

FedEx All the Way!

Mary,

Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly and Beck would all be proud of you because you're exactly the type of person they want on their team. To think that the RLA will be reinstated by the Supreme Court isn't realistic, nor is the notion that the GOP is going to make some sort of miracle comeback.

And you're wrong about the employee base. Most do want to go union, but most are also scared because they know Fred will retaliate with job cuts if they vote Teamster.

So, you'd better take "a teaspoon of sugar to make the medicine go down", because Smith has lost this one. The RLA issue is over, and FedEx will never be reclassified under the RLA. Why? Because it was a special deal for Fred from the get-go, and it's never been legal or ethical. The 35 year scam is over. Bye, neighbor..

Sincerely,
Mr. Rogers

Dear Mr. Rogers:

Do you actually think Fred would allow that. Unions can go both ways. Since Fred has always been against unions - Fred would probably get rid of all the companies (especially ground) where he has had the most problems and layoff all of the employees - rest assured that there will be layoffs left and right. I believe you have underestimated "Fred S".
In this economy it would be very sad to see everyone hitting the unemployment lines - don't you think?
Talk to you later, have a great day!
Mary

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Dear Mr. Rogers:

Do you actually think Fred would allow that. Unions can go both ways. Since Fred has always been against unions - Fred would probably get rid of all the companies (especially ground) where he has had the most problems and layoff all of the employees - rest assured that there will be layoffs left and right. I believe you have underestimated "Fred S".
In this economy it would be very sad to see everyone hitting the unemployment lines - don't you think?
Talk to you later, have a great day!
Mary

Let's see. I do believe that in your previous posts you stated that "FedEx isn't anti-union". Yet here you say "Fred has always been against unions". Which one is it? Aren't those opposing statements?

As far as Fred "getting rid" of companies...isn't that like cutting-off your nose to spite your face? Fred makes money, lots of it, and eliminating any of the FedEx units would cost him big bucks. If we do go union, he can certainly lay people off, but he's eventually going to have to face the fact that things have changed for him, especially in the political arena. It isn't going to go Fred's way...at least for awhile. And the RLA exemption will never return.

It's possible that his "promise" of full employment will stall the Teamsters for a while, but once the economy recovers, employees are going to start to be a little more courageous in standing-up to Fred's tactics. People at my level are tired of the take-aways, and the moths are going to start flying out of Smith's wallet eventually.

You never did answer my question about retirement. If your spouse is under the PPP, you just lost the bulk of your retirement as well. Doesn't that bother you to just see it taken away, while Fred, the pilots, and the other top execs actually had their plans enhanced? Or are you happy with the PPP Plan, which really isn't a retirement plan at all.

FedEx All the Way!

Let's see. I do believe that in your previous posts you stated that "FedEx isn't anti-union". Yet here you say "Fred has always been against unions". Which one is it? Aren't those opposing statements?

As far as Fred "getting rid" of companies...isn't that like cutting-off your nose to spite your face? Fred makes money, lots of it, and eliminating any of the FedEx units would cost him big bucks. If we do go union, he can certainly lay people off, but he's eventually going to have to face the fact that things have changed for him, especially in the political arena. It isn't going to go Fred's way...at least for awhile. And the RLA exemption will never return.

It's possible that his "promise" of full employment will stall the Teamsters for a while, but once the economy recovers, employees are going to start to be a little more courageous in standing-up to Fred's tactics. People at my level are tired of the take-aways, and the moths are going to start flying out of Smith's wallet eventually.

You never did answer my question about retirement. If your spouse is under the PPP, you just lost the bulk of your retirement as well. Doesn't that bother you to just see it taken away, while Fred, the pilots, and the other top execs actually had their plans enhanced? Or are you happy with the PPP Plan, which really isn't a retirement plan at all.

Reading Material:

With the recession eating into profits, many employers are trying to cut costs however they can. At FedEx, pay cuts are prompting employees to consider the benefits of unionizing. More often than not, companies choose to cut jobs rather than wages. They fear that slashing pay will backfire and the best employees will go elsewhere, while the least productive ones will stick around.
Thus, the average hourly wage has continued to rise, even though the unemployment rate shot up to more than 8 percent last month. Those who still have jobs are actually getting paid more for them.
But FedEx decided to take the risk. Late last year, it cut all management and professional salaries by 5 percent.
That didn't sit well with FedEx aircraft mechanic Billy Selph.
'The Morale's Pretty Bad There Now'
"When I first started 13 years ago, FedEx had a philosophy they called 'PSP' — people, service, profit — whereby you took care of the people, provided good service, the profit would come," Selph says. "They've given up on the people portion. The morale's pretty bad there now."
"We no longer feel that it's our company," he says. "At one time — or especially when I hired on — everybody felt a part of FedEx, and that feeling's just no longer there. It's just become a job and a paycheck to most people, and we never know what's just around the next corner."
Selph is an hourly worker, so he didn't take a pay cut during the last round. He says he's feeling the financial pinch in other ways.
"Overtime is cut back to zero now," he says. "Paid lunches, those sort of things, we no longer get."
"Health insurance, pension is where we probably took our biggest hit. Me personally, I took a cut of $20,000 a year after retirement. That's where we took our biggest hit for sure."
FedEx workers like Selph don't yet have a union, though the Teamsters are trying to create one.
The Union's Case Against Wage Cuts
Union leaders find themselves in a bind when it comes to the debate over cutting jobs or cutting wages and benefits.
Chris Chafe, head of the labor federation Change to Win, thinks that these cost-cutting strategies could be disastrous down the road.
"Look at what happened in Japan during the 1990s," he says. "They never pulled themselves out of recession there because they did not feed the most valuable drivers of consumer purchasing, which is workers."
"So what we see happening in the layoffs and the wage cuts, we believe is actually just following the worst possible model," he says. "If we continue to cut jobs in this country, if we continue to cut wages, we're actually taking money out of the pockets of the people who are going to spend that money and help drive our recovery."
Of course, this isn't the easiest time to tell companies that they ought to be raising wages. Even so, Chafe says, layoffs and wage cuts will only dig a deeper hole for the economy.
On the other hand, companies argue that wage cuts, while painful, save jobs by spreading the loss. Chafe says that if both the company and its employees agree that's the right idea, then that should be their prerogative. But the general trend of wage cuts, he says, is "actually worsening the spiral into an even greater depression."
"We believe that there are probably other pools of funds that could be looked at across the board," he says. "All these factors should be put on the table, not simply workers' pay. That's often the first thing that gets put on the table."
Chafe says the 20 percent salary cut that FedEx CEO Fred S took is a rare case of executives taking the same medicine that they advocate for their workers.
Harder To Unionize In A Bad Economy?
It's understandable that a worker might not want to anger his employer, particularly these days. But Chafe says it's always been hard to unionize.
"Obviously there's going to be challenges posed by our economic situation," he says. But ultimately, he believes that doesn't deter people from taking steps to help themselves by negotiating "a deal that the market can bear, that their employer can bear, that might provide their families with health care."
Union membership went up dramatically during the Great Depression, for example. "I think people saw that even in the times of the Great Depression — even in these times — you have enormous profits still being made," Chafe says.
Under President Franklin Roosevelt, it became much easier legally to form a union. "It's not a coincidence," he says, "that during that same period we saw the birth and nurturing and existence of a strong, vibrant middle class."
"I believe that that happened because workers' wages rose, and those same workers drove economic recovery across the country."

FedEx All the Way!

I wonder if Billy Selph would feel more a part of FedEx if rather than sharing a salary cut across the board including those at the top, FedEx had laid off 5% of employees and one were Billy Selph, he continues to have a job and a retirement, many do not. They feel very alone and apart with no net which we who are working have. Thank you FedEx for spreading the pain throughout the entire team.

UPSNewbie

Reading Material:

With the recession eating into profits, many employers are trying to cut costs however they can. At FedEx, pay cuts are prompting employees to consider the benefits of unionizing. More often than not, companies choose to cut jobs rather than wages. They fear that slashing pay will backfire and the best employees will go elsewhere, while the least productive ones will stick around.
Thus, the average hourly wage has continued to rise, even though the unemployment rate shot up to more than 8 percent last month. Those who still have jobs are actually getting paid more for them.
But FedEx decided to take the risk. Late last year, it cut all management and professional salaries by 5 percent.
"When I first started 13 years ago, FedEx had a philosophy they called 'PSP' — people, service, profit — whereby you took care of the people, provided good service, the profit would come," Selph says. "They've given up on the people portion. The morale's pretty bad there now."
"We no longer feel that it's our company," he says. "At one time — or especially when I hired on — everybody felt a part of FedEx, and that feeling's just no longer there. It's just become a job and a paycheck to most people, and we never know what's just around the next corner."
Selph is an hourly worker, so he didn't take a pay cut during the last round. He says he's feeling the financial pinch in other ways.
"Overtime is cut back to zero now," he says. "Paid lunches, those sort of things, we no longer get."
"Health insurance, pension is where we probably took our biggest hit. Me personally, I took a cut of $20,000 a year after retirement. That's where we took our biggest hit for sure."
FedEx workers like Selph don't yet have a union, though the Teamsters are trying to create one.
Union leaders find themselves in a bind when it comes to the debate over cutting jobs or cutting wages and benefits.
Chris Chafe, head of the labor federation Change to Win, thinks that these cost-cutting strategies could be disastrous down the road.
"Look at what happened in Japan during the 1990s," he says. "They never pulled themselves out of recession there because they did not feed the most valuable drivers of consumer purchasing, which is workers."
"So what we see happening in the layoffs and the wage cuts, we believe is actually just following the worst possible model," he says. "If we continue to cut jobs in this country, if we continue to cut wages, we're actually taking money out of the pockets of the people who are going to spend that money and help drive our recovery."
Of course, this isn't the easiest time to tell companies that they ought to be raising wages. Even so, Chafe says, layoffs and wage cuts will only dig a deeper hole for the economy.
On the other hand, companies argue that wage cuts, while painful, save jobs by spreading the loss. Chafe says that if both the company and its employees agree that's the right idea, then that should be their prerogative. But the general trend of wage cuts, he says, is "actually worsening the spiral into an even greater depression."
"We believe that there are probably other pools of funds that could be looked at across the board," he says. "All these factors should be put on the table, not simply workers' pay. That's often the first thing that gets put on the table."
Chafe says the 20 percent salary cut that FedEx CEO Fred S took is a rare case of executives taking the same medicine that they advocate for their workers.
It's understandable that a worker might not want to anger his employer, particularly these days. But Chafe says it's always been hard to unionize.
"Obviously there's going to be challenges posed by our economic situation," he says. But ultimately, he believes that doesn't deter people from taking steps to help themselves by negotiating "a deal that the market can bear, that their employer can bear, that might provide their families with health care."
Union membership went up dramatically during the Great Depression, for example. "I think people saw that even in the times of the Great Depression — even in these times — you have enormous profits still being made," Chafe says.
Under President Franklin Roosevelt, it became much easier legally to form a union. "It's not a coincidence," he says, "that during that same period we saw the birth and nurturing and existence of a strong, vibrant middle class."
"I believe that that happened because workers' wages rose, and those same workers drove economic recovery across the country."

You just posted an article in which it says unions could do some good. Change of heart?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Right. I was thinking the exact same thing. That was a pro-union article, but I'm thinking her point is that we won't unionize because FedEx has shown it's "good faith" by having management take a 5% cut.

While I'm certainly thankful to have a job, I really don't think Fred is doing us any favors. If he's truly interested in keeping the Teamsters out, he's got a long way to go, starting with reinstating the retirement plan. He won't do that, so we'll do what we need to do to actually have a pension again.....bring in the Teamsters.

MD Dan

I am a 21 Yr UPS driver and am a little confused. Ever since UPS went public(1996), Fedex stock has been trading at a 25 to 30% premium over UPS stock but in the last several weeks the ratio has changed to a 10 to 15 % premium the other way. What's up?? Teamsters dragging UPS down?? Possibility of level playing field scaring investors? RLA/NLRB??

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I am a 21 Yr UPS driver and am a little confused. Ever since UPS went public(1996), Fedex stock has been trading at a 25 to 30% premium over UPS stock but in the last several weeks the ratio has changed to a 10 to 15 % premium the other way. What's up?? Teamsters dragging UPS down?? Possibility of level playing field scaring investors? RLA/NLRB??

Many factors but FedEx is more heavily leveraged in their debt than UPS and much less cash reservve.

moreluck

golden ticket member
From RetiredUps........With the recession eating into profits, many employers are trying to cut costs however they can. At FedEx, pay cuts are prompting employees to consider the benefits of unionizing.
More often than not, companies choose to cut jobs rather than wages. They fear that slashing pay will backfire and the best employees will go elsewhere, while the least productive ones will stick around.