Leaders Tell FedEx CEO to Protect Middle Class Jobs

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
MrFedEx if you have to rely on ad hominem arguments (personal attacks) rather than reinforcing your arguments with something of substance then you really aren't getting your point across. You're just being a bully.

Your opinion deserves to be heard. By posting your ideas in this disrespectful way you are undermining your own credibility.

Our moderators aren't the problem here. Your unwillingness to comply with our TOS is the problem.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I agree..I'm sorry I had to do it.:peaceful:

I agree with your agreeing, and will continue to agree indefinitely because to disagree is not agreeable or allowable. Isn't being agreeable (instead of honest) rather dull? Please agree with me that this is OK.

satellitedriver

Here's my point, which nobody seems to get (is that an insult?).
(Nope)
A moderator needs to be impartial,
( As you were as a moderator? A moderators job is only to try enforce the TOS of the site. Your point is dulled, by the fact you never were impartial. )

and from what I've seen on many occasions, that simply isn't the case,
(Name those occasions)
particularly with SatelliteDriver
( I admit, before I was a moderator, I was a real jerk in my posting, UKguy and I had a go recently, but we patched things up.
I have always stated that I will post with my opinion, but when I put my mod hat on it is strictly business)
and Tony Express.
(Since Tony and Cheryl own this site, I will let them fend for themselves.)
There's a double standard in place.
( Yes, there is, and it is yours.)

When I first came onto this site I was consistently attacked, insulted
and on and on.
( Baloney)
Nothing was done, and I've been insulted quite a few times since.
( Most of those were just "quid pro quo" comments, to your posts)
I'm a big boy
(You have proved the boy part)
and I can deal with it.
( Glad someone can)
Others obviously cannot.

While I agree that things have sometimes gotten out of hand, throwing a wet blanket on debate makes for a pretty dull conversation.
(Debate and conversation are two separate things)
If you want a Wonder Bread Forum, I'll happily comply.
( I like my bread lightly toasted, not burned.)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Uncle Martin, you crack me up! You've just personally insulted me in several of your posts, and now you're up on your soapbox again.Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Look, I've learned my lesson, which is that I cannot freely speak my mind...it has to be tempered, and the fact that I'm non-UPS puts me on a short leash.

As far as the moderator thing goes, let's drop it, OK? When the FedEx Forums were first introduced, Cheryl asked me if I would be a mod and I agreed. Having little experience with this site, I didn't know the politics and vagaries of the TOS or the Brown Cafe. Sure, I read it, but it is interpreted very differently by each of you, and once again, I was brand-new to this site. You can keep beating me over the head with it if you like, but it's getting old. I'd been here one day and was an instant moderator. It's past history. In retrospect, it was a mistake to accept the job because I'm very passionate about the way employees are treated over at Big Purple.

You once accused me of "not caring about this site", which is quite untrue. The bulk of my posts are quite professional, to the point, and typically involve topics that cross over company lines. Recent examples include executive jet usage, the FedEx RLA exemption, and UPS lobbying for changes to the FAA Reauthorization Act. I like the Brown Cafe, and find most of the discussions worthwhile and educational. When I've been attacked, I've fired right back, and you don't like that. As a mod, it's your duty to do your job according to your interpretation of the TOS. So be it.

When I was new to the site I sent dozens of "attack" excerpts to the moderators, which were largely ignored. That's understandable, because a lot of people hated the idea of anything FedEx on this site, including some of the moderators. Tieguy, among others, was all over me, and I got more than a few nasty PM's (not from him}. Over time, my encounters with him have become civil and very educational...even when we disagree.

At this point, I'd just like to drop this subject and move forward. I've come away a wiser participant. You get to check everything I say before it ever gets posted, so there should be no further problems.

satellitedriver

Uncle Martin, you crack me up! You've just personally insulted me in several of your posts,
Ok,
I will call your bluff. Research the archives and post where I have "insulted" you.
Put up or shut up.
and now you're up on your soapbox again.
I only responded to your post that accused Tony and myself of being insulting and unfair.
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Look, I've learned my lesson, which is that I cannot freely speak my mind..
Yes you can.
it has to be tempered,
Yes, we all have that restriction.
and the fact that I'm non-UPS puts me on a short leash.
You put that collar upon yourself.

As far as the moderator thing goes, let's drop it, OK? When the FedEx Forums were first introduced, Cheryl asked me if I would be a mod and I agreed. Having little experience with this site, I didn't know the politics and vagaries of the TOS or the Brown Cafe. Sure, I read it, but it is interpreted very differently by each of you, and once again, I was brand-new to this site. You can keep beating me over the head with it if you like, but it's getting old. I'd been here one day and was an instant moderator. It's past history. In retrospect, it was a mistake to accept the job because I'm very passionate about the way employees are treated over at Big Purple.

You once accused me of "not caring about this site",
Prove that statement,
Once again, put up or shut up.
which is quite untrue. The bulk of my posts are quite professional, to the point, and typically involve topics that cross over company lines. Recent examples include executive jet usage, the FedEx RLA exemption, and UPS lobbying for changes to the FAA Reauthorization Act. I like the Brown Cafe, and find most of the discussions worthwhile and educational. When I've been attacked, I've fired right back, and you don't like that.
Quite professional, except for the run along sentences and your presumption of what others "like".
As a mod, it's your duty to do your job according to your interpretation of the TOS.
Being a Mod is not my job. My duty is to my family.
Thanks for telling me how to do what you could not.
Old joke just came to mind. Those who can't, either teach or preach.
The TOS is very simple and straight forward. No interpretation is needed.
Too bad you had trouble with it.

So be it.

When I was new to the site I sent dozens of "attack" excerpts to the moderators, which were largely ignored. That's understandable, because a lot of people hated the idea of anything FedEx on this site, including some of the moderators. Tieguy, among others, was all over me, and I got more than a few nasty PM's (not from him}. Over time, my encounters with him have become civil and very educational...even when we disagree.

At this point, I'd just like to drop this subject and move forward. I've come away a wiser participant. You get to check everything I say before it ever gets posted,
Wrong,
You, being a professional ex-moderator, should know that posts are not censored or read before being posted.
so there should be no further problems.
No problems here.
Don't want nothing, don't start nothing.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Again, more criticism, and cutting remarks. Walk your own talk, and I'll do my best to get along with you. Just curious, why do you get to insult me over and over again and not have it considered to be an attack? You could have said it in a more professional manner. Every post you've ever made involving me has been snarky, smug, and superior.

I requested you drop the ex-moderator garbage, yet you persist in bringing it up. I explained the situation and pointed-out that becoming a moderator was a mistake on my part because I did not understand the politics of this site, which are only now evident to me.

Keep up the criticism. It only strengthens my assertion that some of the mods have a real issue with impartiality, which shouldn't be the case. Your dislike for me should not influence your judgement.

satellitedriver

Again, more criticism, and cutting remarks. Walk your own talk, and I'll do my best to get along with you. Just curious, why do you get to insult me over and over again and not have it considered to be an attack? You could have said it in a more professional manner. Every post you've ever made involving me has been snarky, smug, and superior.

I requested you drop the ex-moderator garbage,
The Hefty bag is in the can sitting on the curb.

yet you persist in bringing it up. I explained the situation and pointed-out that becoming a moderator was a mistake on my part because I did not understand the politics of this site,
What politics?
which are only now evident to me.
So, now you can explain these politics?
I would love for you to, because I have no clue what you are talking about.

Keep up the criticism. It only strengthens my assertion that some of the mods have a real issue with impartiality, which shouldn't be the case. Your dislike for me should not influence your judgement.

Assertion's are the only thing you have made, with no proof on your part.
Criticism and cutting remarks are not insults, just observations made in response, to critical and cutting posts.
Simple thrust and verbal parry.
I do not dislike you, my judgment is solely based on what you post.
You demand professionalism and impartiality from others;
(read that as Mod's);
Post proof, that I, or any other Mod have not been professional or impartial, when doing a moderators function and you might have a case.
Please, stop confusing the difference between moderating and one being just a simple UPS worker posting rebuttals, or personal opinions,
(without breaking the TOS)
on the Brown Cafe.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Assertion's are the only thing you have made, with no proof on your part.
Criticism and cutting remarks are not insults, just observations made in response, to critical and cutting posts.
Simple thrust and verbal parry.
I do not dislike you, my judgment is solely based on what you post.
You demand professionalism and impartiality from others;
(read that as Mod's);
Post proof, that I, or any other Mod have not been professional or impartial, when doing a moderators function and you might have a case.
Please, stop confusing the difference between moderating and one being just a simple UPS worker posting rebuttals, or personal opinions,
(without breaking the TOS)
on the Brown Cafe.

I'm not going to pursue this any further. Let's just try to get along, and I'll adapt to the politics.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
OK,
Cool with me.
I only ask one thing of you, before you assimilate into the Borg of Brown Cafe.
What politics are you consistently harping about?

Yes, I have consented to be assimilated, much in the manner of Locutus if you're familiar with the show. Here's your answer.

The politics of this site are that a lot of people still want an all-Brown BC and resent any FedEx presence. My aggressive responses in some cases were directly motivated by "attacks" that got to me and provoked angry responses in return. I'm only human, and I was getting tired of defending myself instead of just being part of the BC community. There's no way I could be a moderator and have any kind of strong opinions under those circumstances. I also think that some long-term members get more leeway in what they can say than others. That's it. Human nature being what it is, that's understandable, as is the anti-FedEx stance of some members.

I like the BC, so I'll stop responding to those who just want to pull my chain and keep the discussions civil and on topic.

As far as I'm concerned, you and I have worked out our differences.

Unfortunately the majority of Fedex employees are scared little sheep with this lousy economy.I for one will continue my pro union stance and rigorously fight for unionization of Fedex.Fred S and the Board of Directors and the rest of the upper managerial team do not care about any of the workforce.They will continue to strip us of our dignity and benefits until we unionize.As I have stated in previous posts FDX stock is now below 47 dollars a share and will continue to fall due to the mismanagement of Fedex by Fred S and his henchmen.My co-workers and friends are so glad we dumped all of our stock at 108 dollars a share.

:sad-very: if you're not happy - work somewhere else. You should be thankful that Fred S is taking measures so that employees don't get laid off. So your comment about not caring for the workforce is unfounded. Where else can you get full benefits with the minimum requirement of working 17 hours a week?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
:sad-very: if you're not happy - work somewhere else. You should be thankful that Fred S is taking measures so that employees don't get laid off. So your comment about not caring for the workforce is unfounded. Where else can you get full benefits with the minimum requirement of working 17 hours a week?

Your username says it all. Why don't you do a little homework on Mr Smith and all of his special deals designed to keep us non-union and in the poorhouse? He's a remarkably shady character and does not give a damn about his employees. P-S-P is a joke, and so is Smith.

Your username says it all. Why don't you do a little homework on Mr Smith and all of his special deals designed to keep us non-union and in the poorhouse? He's a remarkably shady character and does not give a damn about his employees. P-S-P is a joke, and so is Smith.

I don't need to do any homework. I am fully aware fo the measures that have been taken - he's being fiscally responsible. And - I don't believe a union would do any good. The unions served their purpose in the last millenium. If you're not happy Mr. Fedex - why haven't you left?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't need to do any homework. I am fully aware fo the measures that have been taken - he's being fiscally responsible. And - I don't believe a union would do any good. The unions served their purpose in the last millenium. If you're not happy Mr. Fedex - why haven't you left?

I strongly suspect that you and FXATW are one and the same.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The unions still serve a purpose, and would have done so for the last 26 years had the Reagan administration not initiated a wholesale campaign to kill them off. Fred is fiscally responsible for himself and the elite of FedEx, but not morally and ethically responsible to the workers who made him his billions. And I still think you are FXATW masquerading as someone else.

redracer

Being a newbie and a freight hauler for Fedex Freight I find it interesting as hard as we try we can not best UPS. As for myself I could care less as long as I still have a job. It has always been the bone of contention that Fedex wanted to be better than Brown and try to surpass them by hauling more pkg's or freight as the case may be and making money hand over fist. I don't think the management of Fedex has taken into consideration the aspect of taking care of its people includes its employees. I myself started with American Freightways working the dock until I could get my CDL and advance myself off the dock. Back then the road drivers didn't work the dock so that was my main goal was to get some experience in the city and then become a road driver so I could get off the dock. A strange thing happend along the way. American Freightways changed the rules. They started the program of any run under 200 miles you were required to work the dock. Their were problems back then that we had to work through to make this thing work. I reworked a lot of trailers because these once proud road drivers were now shuttle drivers who were forced to work the dock or find another job some where else. We made it work but we all worked as a team to accomplish this goal. As time went by the damages went down and the freight volume increased as American Freightways moved into new markets and offered new improved quicker delivery times with fewer damages. There were times we were swamped when the teamsters would go on strike and Freightways would have to get choosie about the freight they would haul. This backfired more than a few times and we ended up with egg on our faces. We were a young company and still growing. From management in Harrison on down to the lowest paid part-time dock person there was we worked together as a team to make it work because if we didn't we knew our small company would wither and die. Then we got sold to Fedex and were told that no major changes were to coming. I keep remembering that when they told us they were changing our name to Fedex Freight. Oh, boy now I get to have people ask me about package delivery that I know nothing about. Everybody who sees a Fedex person assumes they deliver packages for a living. Fedex forced the Garrison boys off the board and now only the founder of American Freightways was left. Our only voice was through this man. When Sheridan Garrison died I almost cried as I knew the person who had guided us for so many years was gone and some huge company had total control over us. The reason American Freightways never went union here in Arkansas is Sheridan kept our wages close to what the union scale was, they paid our health premiums, we had our 401k, vacations and we were treated as human beings. I will not get into a tit for tate about Fedex or what they are doing as being wrong. I think it stinks the high heaven the way they have treated people long before now. Before it was all hush hush and now it is being flashed all over the news like yesterdays dirty laundry. Until the law changes in the dealings of unionizing with regards to Fedex we will not be going union. I don't like the idea of giving the teamsters my money. Some of the guys I work with think I am the biggest tight wad they have every seen. I am frugal with my money that is true but that comes from having a job and trying to live from pay check to pay check and having to rely on family to buy your groceries every week because you don't make enough money. I am a very independant person, I spent 4yrs on active duty with the Navy and worked several part-time jobs to put myself through college. If the union comes to Fedex Freight more power to it. Years ago the union would never had a chance with American Freightways, I can't say that about Fedex Freight right now. Too many drivers that I once crossed paths with every night are now stuck working 8hrs or less on the dock with no room for advancement. We as a colletive are just bone tired and looking for a change.

:sad-little:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thank you for a great story. What happened to you at AF is the same thing that happened to the employees of Viking, Watkins and the other companies FedEx has bought-out. I have also heard that AF was an excellent organization, as were Viking and Watkins, before Smith got his hands on them. He only buys non-union companies, and then ruthlessly cuts and slashes every penny away until all that is left is a bare-bones operation. It's like being assimilated by a giant computer, or the Borg, if you're familiar with Star Trek. Usually, they keep the management on for awhile and then force them out so the FedEx clones can move in and impose the new regimen with an iron fist.

Fred buys them, then applies the FedEx Express business model to increase "efficiency". What that really means is stagnant wages, a crummy benefits package, and being run like a robot via micromanagement. Almost everyone hates it, especially if you came from a company like AF, where enlightened management treated people the right way.

The only real solution is to go union, because Fred isn't suddenly going to have an epiphany and decide that he's been treating his employees like crap. He's all about the bottom line, and if you don't like it, they'll figure out a way to get rid of you.

How do you like the disconnect between the way they say they treat you and the reality of working for FedEx? They don't exactly walk their talk, do they?