Leave of Absence Question!

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by kevingcp, Jan 3, 2013.

1. kevingcp

kevingcp New Member

I've been working preload since April 2012 and made clear during the hiring process and after that I would be graduating college this coming June 2013. Moreover, I just got invited to go on tour in Europe this August 2013 with a spoken word poet. I would be doing background music and what not. This is us right here:
    Hotel Books - MM/DD/YYYY - YouTube

Anyway, is there any way I can take a 30 day leave of absence for personal reasons? Or would I have to quit and get my job back?

I've made clear that I would like to continue with the company after graduation whether it be corporate or operational management.

I'm going to talk to my center manager and FT/PT supes to explore my options.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Uh good luck. This isn't a job u come and go as u please. If u have vacation and option days u could try and burn those days. Otherwise start looking for a new job if u plan on going.

3. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

That is going to be up to your management team, but unless you are 1 heck of a preloader, I would imagine that you will be let go.

4. Amen you dont know what you have...until its gone...then oh well your S.O.L.!!!!

5. serenity now

serenity now Guest

ups is not a warm and fuzzy place to work

6. serenity now

serenity now Guest

be sure and take that audio clip with you when you meet with management to explain why you need the time off :wince:

7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Enjoy the tour----there are other jobs out there that will be waiting for you when you come back.

8. anonymous4

anonymous4 Active Member

Completely up to management. For instance, I believe I could leave and come back a year later with open arms if it was discussed and agreed to prior. Good workers are a dime a dozen, exceptional ones are not. Which are you? Strive to be exceptional and hope for the best. I have witnessed a few backdoor deals and the die-hard union guys might not like that, but it does go on. Good luck, and if they reject your request I would take time deciding which direction to go. You might not be able to just walk back in after you quit and despite how much some of us bitch, UPS is a good place to work relatively speaking.

9. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

Life is full of choices.... Oh what to do.....

10. kevingcp

kevingcp New Member

I would consider myself a good worker, only had 1 misload throughout peak and am regularly recognized for not having a misload every week with a frequency ranging from 3100-3600 per week. I've been talking with management about moving my way up with the company, yea it's going to be hard but ill do it, and am going to try if I can space out ending and start times of both positions. Will talk to management after sort on Monday.
    They know I work my ass off in school and work so I hope I've made a good impression over the past year.

11. softshoe

softshoe Member

Lets see. you've worked at UPS for a whole 9 months and are gods gift to the preload. No one does it better than you. I' sure they will tell you that you are such a good worker that you can come and go as you please. I'm sure they will love you at the corporate level.

12. Leftinbuilding

Leftinbuilding Active Member

There are stipulations for Leaves of Absence spelled out in your contract. Might be a good place to start.

13. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

I can help

Going on vacation for a month isn't one of them.....

14. barnyard

Not a vacation.

Hanging out with a smelly poet and playing hipster music.

Get it right.

15. 728ups

728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

it's rare that i actually LOL but i did,quite loudly

16. 728ups

728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

Do you REALLY think that someone that wants a month off after only a years seniority would be taken seriously for advancing in the company?

17. barnyard

Be sure to wear your skinny jeans and that one hat when you talk to your boss.

18. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

Have any of you considered he may wear a shirt and hat emblazoned with the company logo?
    Think of the possibilities.........

19. serenity now

serenity now Guest

glad that i could be the spark for your mirthful moment

20. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

You might be able to swing this at my building, preloaders quit all the time here with no notice and they always need people. There have been instances of preloaders being no call no show for a week and still getting their jobs back so if you're a good worker with a good attendance record they might decide it's worth it to them. Ask, all they can do is say no.