Leaving 12/23 with minimum collateral damage

I'm a seasonal driver's helper who has been on the job for a couple of weeks. I have a regular driver. Recently some family obligations came up and I won't be able to work on Christmas Eve. What is the best way to handle this?

If I tell UPS now, will they be likely to get another helper for my driver for that day, or at least lighten his load? I don't want to be a jerk and just not show up on Christmas Eve, but I also don't want my driver to be mad at me for the rest of my time if I tell him now. How and when should I approach the subject?

Also, if I tell them I can't work after the 23rd, am I screwing up any possibility of coming back in the future? Currently it's not in the plans, but it's always nice to have options.

Thanks.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Honestly, you'd be better off explaining to your driver and let him tell the company.

If you two have a good working relationship, he/she should understand.

Dr.Brownz

99.999999% chance you will never work at UPS again. They can't just hire another helper for 2 or 3 days of work. That driver will be screwed most likely

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hey, stuff happens. Let the driver know asap. Even though it will be Christmas eve, volumn will have tapered off by then to where it is manageable.

Are you forgetting about all of the late air that we will either have shuttled out to us or will have to come back to the center for?

The only saving grace is we don't do pickups that day.

DOK

I'm a seasonal driver's helper who has been on the job for a couple of weeks. I have a regular driver. Recently some family obligations came up and I won't be able to work on Christmas Eve. What is the best way to handle this?

If I tell UPS now, will they be likely to get another helper for my driver for that day, or at least lighten his load? I don't want to be a jerk and just not show up on Christmas Eve, but I also don't want my driver to be mad at me for the rest of my time if I tell him now. How and when should I approach the subject?

Also, if I tell them I can't work after the 23rd, am I screwing up any possibility of coming back in the future? Currently it's not in the plans, but it's always nice to have options.

Thanks.

Tell the driver, very few helpers are needed in our center on Christmas Eve, I'm sure they'd find someone if needed.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Thanks.
UPS is paying you how much an hour? How fast would they cancel your job if the work dried up? Yep, don't think twice about it!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Not sure where you all work but Christmas Eve has always been a busy day.
Half the businesses are closed and no pickups but the truck is still slammed.
Our only saving grace is that it's on a Thursday this year and most centers are working Sunday.
The driver is screwed and will probably need help at the end of the day.

capers8

Tell your driver as early as possible. Don't worry, it will have no effect on whether or not you come back. UPS is desperate for helpers every peak. You missing one day won't change that.