Leaving FedEx for UPS (Preloader)

Platinum

Hi all. First post here.

I currently work preload at Ground and I've also done some driver helping. My main goal is to drive in a few years so I'd like to switch to UPS.

I tried applying at UPS a few months ago but my local center is small and I wasn't selected out of the 15 or so people that showed up for the tour. Since then I've been working at Ground but now the UPS hub that's about an hour away from me is hiring (different from the center I originally applied at) and I have a tour/interview this week.

My main questions are will UPS contact FedEx for a reference and put me at risk of losing my current job if I don't get hired at UPS for some reason? Also do you think that reapplying at UPS after I didn't get selected the first time, applying at a hub instead of a center, and my experience at FedEx will help me get hired this time?

Thanks.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hi all. First post here.

I currently work preload at Ground and I've also done some driver helping. My main goal is to drive in a few years so I'd like to switch to UPS.

I tried applying at UPS a few months ago but my local center is small and I wasn't selected out of the 15 or so people that showed up for the tour. Since then I've been working at Ground but now the UPS hub that's about an hour away from me is hiring (different from the center I originally applied at) and I have a tour/interview this week.

My main questions are will UPS contact FedEx for a reference and put me at risk of losing my current job if I don't get hired at UPS for some reason? Also do you think that reapplying at UPS after I didn't get selected the first time, applying at a hub instead of a center, and my experience at FedEx will help me get hired this time?

Thanks.
UPS does not verify current employers if you ask them. However ...
UPS will ask you to provide tax returns or pay stubs for those years you worked at FedEx but were not in school.
UPS checks to make sure you were not in jail by verifying all your time since high and there can not be any gaps unverified for longer than 3 months.

Platinum

Yes I've listed that I'm currently employed at FedEx on the application and I have documentation for everything. FedEx has made it very clear that we can't have anything to do with UPS so my main concern is that I could end up with neither job if they find out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yes I've listed that I'm currently employed at FedEx on the application and I have documentation for everything. FedEx has made it very clear that we can't have anything to do with UPS so my main concern is that I could end up with neither job if they find out.
Play your cards close to your vest.
Don't tell anyone else in the UPS until you get seniority.

Can you work at FedEx and UPS for a while to get a feel?

I imagine UPS is a lot more pressure but probably not more chaotic.

specter208

E

expect to load more trucks and more packages.

Platinum

No, both shifts are preload so I'd have to be positive that I had the UPS position before I even mention it to FedEx.

expect to load more trucks and more packages.

Yeah I do 3 trucks right now. The heaviest one normally has around 300 pieces.

wayfair

swollen member
UPS does not verify current employers if you ask them. However ...
UPS will ask you to provide tax returns or pay stubs for those years you worked at FedEx but were not in school.
UPS checks to make sure you were not in jail by verifying all your time since high and there can not be any gaps unverified for longer than 3 months.

tax returns????

9.5er

So you are looking at an hour drive to get to work at UPS? Hope your vehicle gets good gas mileage or you'll be loosing money to work.

Platinum

Think 800 pieces in 2 while splitting.

The worst I've had to do was 3 trucks while splitting and it was very hard to keep up. Most of the time we have a splitter for each belt so I only have to deal with the stuff that they miss.

So you are looking at an hour drive to get to work at UPS? Hope your vehicle gets good gas mileage or you'll be loosing money to work.

Yes, taking the UPS job is going to be a downgrade in pretty much every area right now including the commute and the pay. Honestly FedEx is a better deal at the moment but I know that UPS will be the much better deal long term if I can stick it out for a few years until I can move closer and hopefully go full time. I just don't want to get caught up in what's better now and end up kicking myself later on like most of the Ground drivers I know.