Left in Building

undies

So last night we had a bunch of drivers bring stops in that they couldn't get off before the 14 hour rule. Management was scanning these packages as well as misloads as Left in Building with a wrist scanner. This feels so wrong and is a clear integrity issue for me. My misloads were not left in building, they were in my truck all day and was unable to make service, hence they should have been missed. What can I do?

over9five

Staff member
Call the ethics hotline, and report it.
Could be that your management team is doing the correct thing, but it does sound fishy. Report it, and let the company figure it out.

nate4027

What is the number to this ethics hotline? Also make note of what happend and next time your center has local grievance hearings be sure and mention it and see what they have to say for themselves.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
File a grievance. That's still union work. You can work over 14 hours. You just have to be off 10 hours after the fact.

over9five

Staff member
What is the number to this ethics hotline? Also make note of what happend and next time your center has local grievance hearings be sure and mention it and see what they have to say for themselves.
It's called the "Help Line" now. Should be posters in your building. It is a confidential number, and we can't have it posted on BC.

It's called the "Help Line" now. Should be posters in your building. It is a confidential number, and we can't have it posted on BC.

An 800 number available to all employees which allows confidentially reported concerns can't be posted on BC? Technically it's no different than 800 Pick UPS.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
How the hell can you guys work 14 hours and still not finish. I haven't been on the clock 10 hours yet this peak. You either have incredible volume or piss poor planning.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So last night we had a bunch of drivers bring stops in that they couldn't get off before the 14 hour rule. Management was scanning these packages as well as misloads as Left in Building with a wrist scanner. This feels so wrong and is a clear integrity issue for me. My misloads were not left in building, they were in my truck all day and was unable to make service, hence they should have been missed. What can I do?
LIB is a Missed package ...why do you care?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yeah, the customer and their package aren't important whatsoever. Let pkgs ride around for a few more days, then tell 'em there was a train derailment or wx delays, or "left in building. Guess there's a higher built-in allowance numerically , in there. anyway, same song and dance to avoid responsibility.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I scan mine as "missed" before I return to the building at night. That way, I was honest and if they want to go in and edit or change anything its on them and not me.

over9five

Staff member
An 800 number available to all employees which allows confidentially reported concerns can't be posted on BC? Technically it's no different than 800 Pick UPS.

Read the poster. It says right on it that it's not for the public. As a Moderator, I have to protect this site from anyone's confidentiality issues (and believe me, UPS has issues!).

If the OP is a real UPSer, he can find the number himself.

over9five

Staff member
LIB is a Missed package ...why do you care?
Although I agree that it wouldn't make much of a difference to the customer tracking the package, why record it falsely?
The packages were not left in the building.

Shouldn't we care if our management team might be doing things unethically? Aren't we supposed to report unethical behavior?

Once again I'm not saying it is unethical, but the proper thing to do would be to report your suspicions and let UPS decide if the procedure is correct or not.

undies

I talked to my steward about it, he said they will just say it was a "business decision" and that'll be the end of it. Also talked to my manager about it, they didn't like me asking questions about it, but they said it was because the building was shut down this past Friday and some volume got left behind. Oh well, integrity is lost but I don't want to turn into the "I don't give a damn about anything" driver.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sounds like more "OPTIMAL" decisions, eh HOAX?

Peace

TOS

Probably

Although I agree that it wouldn't make much of a difference to the customer tracking the package, why record it falsely?
The packages were not left in the building.

Shouldn't we care if our management team might be doing things unethically? Aren't we supposed to report unethical behavior?

Once again I'm not saying it is unethical, but the proper thing to do would be to report your suspicions and let UPS decide if the procedure is correct or not.

Sorry to answer you in the same post as TOS (hope this does not hurt our relationship).

I don't disagree but if I were a driver, I would have better things to do with my time and be concerned with.
It does not impact me so I would be off doing things to better myself or that I enjoy.
Where the friend* is my camera?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Probably

Sorry to answer you in the same post as TOS (hope this does not hurt our relationship).

I don't disagree but if I were a driver, I would have better things to do with my time and be concerned with.
It does not impact me so I would be off doing things to better myself or that I enjoy.
Where the friend* is my camera?

We were always told that the information about the pkg is almost as important as the pkg itself. If we were honest with our customers, it would be recorded as driver went out with too much work, couldn't finish, you just happened to be on the tail end of his route, you get screwed.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We were always told that the information about the pkg is almost as important as the pkg itself. If we were honest with our customers, it would be recorded as driver went out with too much work, couldn't finish, you just happened to be on the tail end of his route, you get screwed.

Unfortunately, there is no code for that on which queries can be run for tracking and trending analysis by some geek sitting in a cube in Corporate IE.